Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last week, The New York Times reported that Apple and Twitter had had discussions "in recent months" about Apple making a significant investment of several hundred million dollars in Twitter, but The Wall Street Journal and other sources moved quickly to downplay the rumor with claims that the talks had taken place over a year ago and did not lead to any serious consideration of an investment.

apple_logo_twitter_icon.jpg

The Wall Street Journal now follows up with more details on the discussions between the two companies, noting that they were primarily focused on product integration such as appeared in iOS 5 last year and OS X Mountain Lion just last week.
Apple Inc. floated the idea of investing in Twitter Inc. as the companies discussed integrating the social service into Apple's mobile operating system last year, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Apple floated the idea at the time and it didn't progress into serious discussions or negotiations, this person and other people familiar with the matter said.
The report notes that Apple and Twitter continue to work closely together as they explore additional ways in which their products can be integrated, with iTunes being one of the areas where the two companies believe Twitter can have a larger presence as Apple moves to phase out its own Ping social network for music.
Apple and Twitter remain tight and continue to talk about future product integrations. They include more deeply melding Twitter and iTunes, according to two people briefed on the matter.
While Apple and Twitter were able to move forward relatively quickly on product integration, negotiations between Apple and Facebook have proceeded somewhat more slowly. Those two companies do, however, appear to have ironed out their differences, with Facebook integration set to come to iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion later this year.

Article Link: Apple-Twitter Talks Focused on Product Partnership, More iTunes Integration Likely

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
My first reaction was to make a guttural throat noise that sounded somewhat like "ugh." As in "ugh, why does iTunes need more bloat!?"

Stop with social, Apple! Please?

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Great Suggestion

I have a great suggestion for apple. How about focussing on getting some quality professional desktops out to your long time users. I have been using and praising apple products for over 18 years. I went through all their tribulations. They care more about stupid twitter crap and swiping through tabs on web browsers than actually writing decent graphic drivers and building machines that don't contain 2-3 year old hardware laptop parts in them.

It is getting bad for professionals. Very bad.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
My first reaction was to make a guttural throat noise that sounded somewhat like "ugh." As in "ugh, why does iTunes need more bloat!?"

According to your signature you are still using a Powerbook? No wonder why are you so against "bloat" (which doesn't mean what you think it means, but I get what you are trying to say).

SimpleLove

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2012
I have ALWAYS been against the social networks integration.
It cheapens the Apple product to me. :(

----------

According to your signature you are still using a Powerbook? No wonder why are you so against "bloat" (which doesn't mean what you think it means, but I get what you are trying to say).

lol. Not a Powerbook...why are people still using those? Serious question.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Gosh darn it! Get Twitter outta my products! I don't understand its use or purpose. How many people actually use the Twitter integration featured in Mountain Lion? I don't! Why is Apple trying to get all social network-y on us?

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Twitter is planning on strangling third-party developers by restricting APIs and they've turned into an organization that Narcs on users to media outlets...I'd say people are looking for a new place to go.

Don't bother Apple. The Twitter window has come and gone and y'all missed it.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Why Twitter? Its good for nothing but seeing what Celebrities had for lunch. Bring in Facebook integration for iTunes, let it display what I've been listening to, to my friends like Spotify does.

I suggest giving my signature a second read. You might notice that none of those products actually exist. ;)

Technically the iPhone 5 exists, just the 4S ;)

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Technically the iPhone 5 exists, just the 4S ;)

If you want to go that route and want to be really strict: Nope, the 5th iPhone is the iPhone 4 CDMA, the 6th was the iPhone 4 8GB they sell now, the 7th then the iPhone 4S. They all have slightly other components in them. :p
I'd rather stick by what Apple calls them and that works for the siganture as well.

Oh and back to the topic: I am not very fond of Twitter either. Give me a good way to upload YouTube videos instead. Me and my family would like that better.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Sweet. I basically use it as an RSS feed anyway to get news and updates.

I love it when people say, it's just a site for people to post what they had for lunch and rainbows.

They clearly are uninitiated.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
If you want to go that route and want to be really strict: Nope, the 5th iPhone is the iPhone 4 CDMA, the 6th was the iPhone 4 8GB they sell now, the 7th then the iPhone 4S. They all have slightly other components in them. :p

What about the white iPhone 4 when it came out? That has slightly different components from the back one (not just the front/rear panels either, proximity sensor is different as well).

---

The idea was simply to make a list of products that were either highly rumored, or introduced but never released. I have a feeling I'll need to strike "7 inch iPad" off later this year, just as I struck "white iPhone 4" off last year :rolleyes:

GenesisJLS

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
Great! I'm going to have thousands of tweets of songs people are playing appear on my Twitter feed.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Gosh darn it! Get Twitter outta my products! I don't understand its use or purpose. How many people actually use the Twitter integration featured in Mountain Lion? I don't! Why is Apple trying to get all social network-y on us?
If you don't like it, don't login. Just quit whining about it. :rolleyes:

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
What about the white iPhone 4 when it came out? That has slightly different components from the back one (not just the front/rear panels either, proximity sensor is different as well).

---

The idea was simply to make a list of products that were either highly rumored, or introduced but never released. I have a feeling I'll need to strike "7 inch iPad" off later this year, just as I struck "white iPhone 4" off last year :rolleyes:

There ya go. I think that was the same ones from the CDMA (but CDMA brought other changes as well). It just shows the point how silly it is to argue which phone is what generation. Apple makes the decision how it's called. iPhone 4S is not iPhone 5 and the next iPhone might not have a number at all - or 4G or 4GS or 5 or whatever they want to call it. For all that I know, they can call it 0-8-15 (Sorry, that's a German joke without propper translation). Despite, your signature is funny. If I would argue - which I'm not - iPad 3 is way closer to be real since there is a 3rd Gen iPad with new chip and a lot of other internal changes.

Last edited:

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
If you don't like it, don't login. Just quit whining about it. :rolleyes:

If life would be that simple... the button will probably stick in every second menue and cause you to accidentally tab it with the result that Twitter tires to sign you up. I have a Twitter account. I never use it. Works for me since it is used to sign in at some places. I still don't want to have it integrated. At least, if they integrate it, it would be nice if it stays out of everyhing unless you set it up otherwise. I guess we will see what happens. No way we would influence that anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.