PDA

View Full Version : Is there any advantage in getting ML pre-installed?

Panini
Aug 1, 2012, 06:45 PM
One I can think of from the top of my head is that the recovery partition will have ML on it.

Anything else? Any optimisations? I know the Lion models had special buttons for mission control and launchpad...

GGJstudios
Aug 1, 2012, 06:47 PM
One I can think of from the top of my head is that the recovery partition will have ML on it.

Anything else? Any optimisations? I know the Lion models had special buttons for mission control and launchpad...
No, the only advantage is if you're reinstalling on a blank drive. Other than that, the function of an upgraded ML install is the same as one that was pre-installed. When you upgrade, your recovery partition becomes a ML partition.

Blackened Apple
Aug 1, 2012, 06:49 PM

The recovery partition should be upgraded to Mountain Lion even if you're upgrading from Lion. So that doesn't really seem like a difference.

The keyboards should be exactly the same.

I personally chose to wait a week from the release day because it'll be my first Mac and I want it to be as perfect as possible just outside the box. That, and the OCD inside me wanted the paperwork that comes with it already with the Mountain Lion wallpapers and eventually information relevant to the new OS.

Panini
Aug 1, 2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys, very helpful.

I guess that packaging to have ML is enough of a reason to have it, since it's only a matter of waiting 2-3 days.

Blackened Apple
Aug 1, 2012, 07:05 PM
MBAs ordered right now should already be coming with ML preinstalled, as noted in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1410250&page=2).