Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dominicdiep

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Does anyone else find that when you scroll your fingers up using an Air, your thumb naturally wants to hit the shallow part where you lift up the screen? It really irks me because when my thumb keeps snagging on it, it then prevents my whole hand from scrolling further than i want to. Thus, I have to force my thumb up when scrolling to prevent this from happening, but its so annoying to have to do this all the time. :(

glynhughes

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Does anyone else find that when you scroll your fingers up using an Air, your thumb naturally wants to hit the shallow part where you lift up the screen? It really irks me because when my thumb keeps snagging on it, it then prevents my whole hand from scrolling further than i want to. Thus, I have to force my thumb up when scrolling to prevent this from happening, but its so annoying to have to do this all the time. :(

No. my thumb stays resting on the case edge in the middle. I use middle and ring fingers to do scrolling - this gives me a full range of movement on 15" MBP and 11" Air without needing to move my thumb at all.

I don't think your problem would be exclusive to the Air would it?

Brian Mage

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2012
^what he said^

Or... a slightly more productive, but equally dismissive answer... move your thumb a bit.

dominicdiep

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
No. my thumb stays resting on the case edge in the middle. I use middle and ring fingers to do scrolling - this gives me a full range of movement on 15" MBP and 11" Air without needing to move my thumb at all.

I don't think your problem would be exclusive to the Air would it?

Yeah, that seems to be the most obvious way to resolve it. Tried it though, but doesn't feel natural in the sense that my thumb wants to move with the rest of my fingers when scrolling. Will probably get used to doing that in the meantime though.

To those that don't understand - think about it. Your thumb is lower than your second and third fingers - hence when you scroll 'up' your thumb is low enough that keeps hitting the middle edge where you are supposed to lift up the screen.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I use the middle/ring finger scrolling technique too. No thumb hangups and it's actually easier because those two fingers are closer in size than the index/middle. In fact, I just realized that I do the majority of mousing with my middle finger due to my scrolling habit. I did not realize that!

dominicdiep

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
I use the middle/ring finger scrolling technique too. No thumb hangups and it's actually easier because those two fingers are closer in size than the index/middle. In fact, I just realized that I do the majority of mousing with my middle finger due to my scrolling habit. I did not realize that!

Very good technique! Puts less strain and energy into making scrolling actions. Think I'll use this method from now on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.