Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry for asking as I know there are a lot of sites and posts on this but, I have a unique situation. Here it goes...

I have a MacBook Pro, Airport Extreme, 3 Apple TV's, 2 iPads, and 2 iPhones. I want to get a Mac Mini to basically function as an always on iTunes media server to all my devices on and off my local network.

I understand the Apple TV's will only work on the local network and love Home Sharing while home but, how can I access my music and video while not at home via my iPhones and iPads. I found a solution Air Playit for free but, what do y'all suggest? I'm willing to go for a paid solution if the price is right and works well (better then free options).

Please help. I know I'm not the only one looking for the best solution to do this. Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm thinking Plex would work quite well for you.
I agree! I don't use Plex for music, but I use it for managing and playing all my movies, TV shows and music videos on any device on the network. You can also access content remotely, if you choose. It automatically downloads metadata, subtitles, movie posters, etc. There's a Plex app that turns your iPhone into a remote. I'm very pleased with the setup.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I tried Plex a while back when I had Ruko but if I remember correctly it changed my metadata which I didn't like. I have all my media tagged exactly how I want.

Am I thinking wrong or has it since changed?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried Plex a while back when I had Ruko but if I remember correctly it changed my metadata which I didn't like. I have all my media tagged exactly how I want.

Am I thinking wrong or has it since changed?
It will download metadata, but you can edit it any way you like.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
What if I already have everything tagged the way I want? I really don't want to go back and re-edit all my metadata. I have 4.5 tb of video. Converted all my blurays and DVDs to mp4 then tagged them all with iflicks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What if I already have everything tagged the way I want? I really don't want to go back and re-edit all my metadata. I have 4.5 tb of video. Converted all my blurays and DVDs to mp4 then tagged them all with iflicks.
I'd check out the Plex site. They have pretty good support and a forum. They can tell you if you can disable downloading metadata. I'm sure it's possible, but I haven't tried it.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Just watched some YouTube videos on Plex and seems to be a kick ass setup. Gonna research some more on keeping my metadata preserved.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Ended up buying Plex but have a few questions.

1. Any way to have pictures remain in folders for easy sorting/viewing?
2. Any way to have metadata pull from AAC's rather then using TuneFM like I can on video?
3. What is the easiest way to set up viewing outside my home? I have a dynamic IP address from my ISP and use an AirPort Extreme as my router.

Thanks again for all the help.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So far it's great. Only tested it on my internal network though. Just running into some things I posted that I haven't found online yet. Still actively searching though

radicalcentrist

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
Portland, OR
3. What is the easiest way to set up viewing outside my home? I have a dynamic IP address from my ISP and use an AirPort Extreme as my router.

Thanks again for all the help.

It should be pretty easy to set up a Dynamic DNS using DynDNS or one of the other companies.

And another vote for Plex being amazing! I run my HTPC (a 2011 Mac Mini) and home sharing through it, and it freaking rocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.