Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have the Notification Center setup to get notifications from Apple Mail, but I am wondering if there is any compatibility with Microsoft Outlook 2011? If there is a way could someone explain how to set it up please.

MS Outlook 2011 is my main email client because of my Microsoft Exchange Account.

Thanks in advance for any help/information! :) :apple:

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Ahhh, well that kind of sucks, at least for me. Hopefully, possibly one day Apple & Microsoft can work something out. Thank You for the quick response!

Reactions: jagooch

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Ahhh, well that kind of sucks, at least for me. Hopefully, possibly one day Apple & Microsoft can work something out. Thank You for the quick response!

MS has no reason to adopt the App store as a distributor - not when they have their own system that works for them. THere is nothing to "work out". That's not how things work on this level. MS's business strategy with Office simply doesn't allow for the App store distribution model. They aren't going to eliminate their distribution systems for businesses for the App Store. They would have to fork office and they aren't going to do that either.

Heck, even in it's current state, there is no way that Office can be accepted given the way it is built. It just isn't going to happen. MS has no reason to do that - NC is not enough of a reason. They can build their own system for notification.

Look at it this way. For years they could have used Growl before it went MAS for notifications. No cost besides time (which is irrelevant since that would be required no matter what). They never did. Not even as an add-on. That should be enough to tell us that MS has no interest. And Apple doesn't care what MS does either. They have no input into the development of Office.

davosian

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
Workaround to use notification center

Here is what I have done to get calendar reminders in Notification Center: basically, I am using Apple's Calendar application to trigger the reminders in Notification Center but use Outlook to manage my calendar.

1. Set up Apple's own Calendar application to display your MS Exchange meetings (via System Preferences -> Mail, Contacts & Calendars -> Microsoft Exchange account). You will now get two notifications for each calendar event: one from Microsoft Outlook and one from Notification Center (triggered by Calendar.app)

2. To avoid this, I disabled notifications in MS Outlook: start Outlook and then select Menu Outlook -> Turn Off Office Reminders.

You can do the equivalent steps to display notifications for new e-mail (make sure to check Email when setting up the Exchange account).

My favorite feature is that notification center will not display any notifications on a second screen when I am connected to a projector, therefore keeping them private.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.