Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
i've been looking for an essay i read once upon a time about the death of IE/Mac. the article's main point was that microsoft essentially duped its own employees in the mac division. the argument, as i recall, was that MS funded this great project that's responsible for a lot of features we still have in contemporary browsers, but the whole time it was quietly planning on killing the browser anyway.

i think it may have gone a little further and suggested that it wasn't a case of evolving business priorities or lack of resources, but a deliberate attempt to first position IE as the crucial browser and then yank it in an attempt to kill the stand-alone browser as an application entirely. (that notion has been kicking around for a few years, there's a brief rundown here, under 'Conspiracy theory': http://www.zeldman.com/daily/0603a.shtml ) however, i think the main theme was that MS acted in bad faith towards its employees.

i've poked around on all the likely sites -- zeldman, meyer, spolsky -- but i can't find this particular article anywhere.

anyone recall reading an essay like this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.