PDA

View Full Version : MBA for college student?

Greysfan
Aug 1, 2012, 11:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a 2009 Mbp that works fine minus a few slowdowns but may pass it to my you ger sibling. I was debating the MacBook air bc of the lightweight considering I'll tAke it to class everyday.

The uses I'll have is for typing documents on word, streaming videos and music. Sometimes I do these things simultaneously ex: type notes and take a break to watch something.

If I buy the MBA , it will be my only computer. I'll have an external hard drive for storage.

Would the MacBook air be sufficient for my needs? Would I need any upgrades? I do want a Laptop that lasts long. I'll probably be getting either the 13 inch MacBook air or the pro.

Thanks for your help

jav6454
Aug 1, 2012, 11:24 PM
Sufficient? Yes. If you can afford the upgrade, try getting 8GB RAM. That will hold you more than find for multiple applications. Might I suggest the entry level 13" MBA. You said you'll have an external right? Then there is no need to cough up for the high end one since all you get it is double space on the SSD.

pilotkid
Aug 2, 2012, 02:30 AM
Have you thought about the 11" Air? If your wanting the max in portability I would go with that. You could even upgrade the ram of the 11" to 8GB and still save $100 over the base 13" air.

marlon8888
Aug 4, 2012, 04:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I have a 2009 Mbp that works fine minus a few slowdowns but may pass it to my you ger sibling. I was debating the MacBook air bc of the lightweight considering I'll tAke it to class everyday.

The uses I'll have is for typing documents on word, streaming videos and music. Sometimes I do these things simultaneously ex: type notes and take a break to watch something.

If I buy the MBA , it will be my only computer. I'll have an external hard drive for storage.

Would the MacBook air be sufficient for my needs? Would I need any upgrades? I do want a Laptop that lasts long. I'll probably be getting either the 13 inch MacBook air or the pro.

Thanks for your help
It's better to buy a new one. Components are getting cheaper everyday. Best to educate (http://www.studies-portal.com/average-college-tuition/) yourself with the latest developments.

polotska
Aug 4, 2012, 07:25 PM
If the MBP still meets your current needs, I’d keep it until it doesn’t.