PDA

View Full Version : Bought Galaxy S3 Today - really wanted to like this phone

AlvinNguyen
Aug 2, 2012, 12:07 AM
As many of you have experienced before I'm sure, I too came to the "boredom" stage with iOS. I decided that it might be fun to sell my 4s and buy a GS3 until the next iPhone is released. I wanted to like this phone so damn much - it feels good in the hand (initially), beautiful screen and it has a take on a mobile OS that's wildly different than IOS.

I don't want to go into details of the difference between Android vs. iOS but for me, it was done after 2 hours with the phone.

-SIZE: It's size is ginormous (and I was the guy who WANTED the giant screen) - It irritated the crap out of my not being able to get to items on the upper corners of the screen

APPS: We all know this but even big company apps like Twitter and Instagram is much better on iOS. The simplest things on these apps makes it just annoying enough to be irritated with. Some apps I like are not available

Keyboard: Really crappy compared to iOS. Maybe it's something I can get used to but for now it's really uncomfortable to type on.

The good part is that I actually LIKE the lightweight and the saturation on the screen - the 4s' screen feels pale and not as contrasty after I started using the GS3. The light weight is GREAT and the smooth "pebble" design reminds me a lot of the original iPhone and 3G/3GS which I love. The camera is up to par with the iPhone and it has so many cool functions built in.

I also really like the widgets (even with my jailbroken 4S the widgets sucks compared to the ones Android offers). They're helpful and easy to use. I also really dig the live wallpapers and overall smoothness of the 3GS.

So all in all, it was fun - honestly if it ran iOS it would have been a no brainer. It wasn't the hardware at all -

UPDATE: Ok so because some people are wondering if I actually bought the phone or "played with it in the store for 2 hours", here is proof that it's in my possession still.

Spectrum Abuser
Aug 2, 2012, 12:25 AM
So you judged your phone experience after two hours of usage?

AlvinNguyen
Aug 2, 2012, 12:36 AM

Yes. Why not? Cars, houses, clothes - all bought this way. If I don't have a good feeling about something, I'm not going to try and force myself to like it. Especially when something works perfectly is already here.

In a sense, I gave up widgets and screen size but I get better apps and a device that works better for my needs. Now, I'm not saying this is what others will experience but I have tried to like Android many times.

First with the Google G1, then Mytouch, Mytouch 4G. I had most of them for 3 days or so, save for the G1 which I had for a month. None of them came close to the iPhone that was out at the time - I thought with 4.0+ Androids and Samsung's commitment to the race against Apple we would have a winner with the GS3 but at least right now, for me, it's not an option. Crossing my fingers the new iPhone is going to deliver something other than that nasty "taller" screen layout.

RocketRed
Aug 2, 2012, 12:38 AM
I don't want to go into details of the difference between Android vs. iOS but for me, it was done after 2 hours with the phone.

stopped reading here. I hope you never write for any tech/review sites.

cyper2002
Aug 2, 2012, 12:42 AM
After 4 years with iPhones I just switched to the galaxy S3 to change to a better provider and while I liked it at first, after about 2 weeks of use, I'm hoping to return the S3. The screen on the S3 is unusable in sunlight, The default keyboard sucked, html email is awful on it because you can't zoom out and have to pan around the screen. I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone. The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3. There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down.

Mac.World
Aug 2, 2012, 12:47 AM
Yes. Why not? Cars, houses, clothes - all bought this way. If I don't have a good feeling about something, I'm not going to try and force myself to like it. Especially when something works perfectly is already here.

2 hours isn't enough time to learn what the phone can do, much less learn what a completely different OS from what you are used to can do.

Did you learn about the NFC, MHL, or Airdrive capabilities? What about otg cables and a ps3 controller? Did you even try a new launcher, new keyboard like swiftkey, or a twitter app like Tweetcaster that more like Tweetbot?

How about the camera? Did you know you can alter iso settings? Do 270 degree panaramic pictures? Utilize several modes including fireworks? Did you know there was a built in Facial recognition feature with the camera, so you can teach it who a person is and then it remembers and can load pictures of just a specific person?

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I didn't even get into NFC tags, tec tiles, upcoming google wallet/ Isis, or being able to wave your hand in front of your phone to change songs on your music player, or being able to transfer files wirelessly between any computer and the S3, etc...

It took me a week to discover a lot of the features and what they can do. 2 hours is a joke. Why even bother?

RocketRed
Aug 2, 2012, 12:51 AM
It took me a week to discover a lot of the features and what they can do. 2 hours is a joke. Why even bother?

He probably didn't buy the phone. He stood in AT&T or a similar store and "used" it for 2 hours.

topherg
Aug 2, 2012, 01:17 AM
LOL 2HRS!? Wth! At least you could have kept it till the new iphone is released...

Mackan
Aug 2, 2012, 04:06 AM
Too many of these similar topic threads have popped up by now... The OPs just make fools of themselves or are trolling. Not sure.

Wrathwitch
Aug 2, 2012, 06:44 AM

In a sense, I gave up widgets and screen size but I get better apps and a device that works better for my needs. Now, I'm not saying this is what others will experience but I have tried to like Android many times.

I don't think it's fair that people jump on you for not liking it or making a snap judgement. I do agree that 2 hours is more than a bit on the pale side to really get to know your device. Things are different with cars, and houses etc. Those are all cosmetic items (except cars). Also a couple of test drives with a car is generally more than enough to decide on whether you like how a car responds. There is nothing new to discover with it. You put key in, put foot to gas, drive, turn, brake, park. If it were a matter of just 2 hours I would still be using windows instead of loving my iMac. It takes MORE than 2 hours. It IS a completely different system and works in a different way. I too have experienced some of my preferred apps not only being unavailable for my device, but my damn country as well (Plants vs Zombies). It isn't a game changer for me because i still have an iPad. There are alternatives available and now I am giggling to Zombie Runaway and Zombie Garden. Go figure. Just this morning I was using the device after about a month of using it and abusing it and I actually got my first warm and fuzzy feeling about the phone. I cannot imagine going with a smaller screen. The upcoming "tallphone" ain't gonna cut it for me! Besides, I made a committment to this phone, I am going to ride it out to give it a fair chance.

I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone. The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3. There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down.

I can't completely disagree with you on this (regarding useability) as I just introduced my tech-lame friend to an iPhone4S and she is delighted with it's ease of use. Initially I could see her drooling after my screen but I told her with humour, that "this phone is NOT for you yet, young Padawan". It is nice to cut your teeth on a simple user friendly phone before you get hit with all of the sub-menus and options on an Android, and nice to have all of your stuff easily backed up if you mess it up. I gave my iPhone4 to my mother for the same reason, it is simple, easy and hard to mess up.

As far as keyboards go, seriously dude, you got an Android phone and didn't bother to even TRY a different keyboard of the hundreds that are available???? To me this does indicate that you really aren't into trying something different. It also completely nullifies your argument on the keyboard. One of the nice things about Android is you CAN change the keyboard if you like. You didn't even try. If you were serious about trying out a new OS and phone, you would keep the phone, and make it yours by finding apps that you like, keyboards that you like etc. Also there are two settings for the screen to be adjusted, the brightness, and the automatic contrast setting which you can uncheck to make the screen work a bit better in direct sunlight. To me it just sounds like you are being a bit lazy. I want all of this to fall into my lap and be simple like iPhone. Well I am sure you knew going into the purchase that it wouldn't be.

But I don't recommend going around spouting on how much better the iP4S is better than Android based on your experience of "trying it for 2 hours". You do a disservice to the device and spread false facts to others who may be condsidering a change and have an open enough mind to want to give it a fair shot. I would say the exact same thing to an Android user if they posted a reverse post to what you did.

aznguyen316
Aug 2, 2012, 07:05 AM
I dunno. Two hours is enough time for me to judge 90%of the stuff I would typically do on my phone. If it doesn't feel right then either adapt or go with what you know. I haven't used android since gingerbread and hoping ICS has improved. It's true though my GF had major difficulties managing my rooted droid eris - she hated it, but I got her an iPhone and she loves it. Anyway thanks for your opinion hopefully you spend more time with it to share more as I'm considering the s3 for the screen and hardware features.

maflynn
Aug 2, 2012, 07:26 AM
2 hours is plenty of time to determine that a product is not a good fit. I don't understand members who complain that its not enough time to make a decision.

Sure, its insufficient to discern the various intricacies of android, or learn about all of its features, but the OP certainly can see whether the phone fits his needs within that time span.

In that 2 hours, the OP could see that syncing his music will take extra work, any iTunes videos/movies will not be played on his phone thanks to DRM. Contacts, calendar events may not have the level of integration if the OP is fully enmeshed in the apple eco system.

Lets cut the OP some slack in that people can easily discern whether a product fits his needs after a few hours. Learning to use the phone to its fullest potential on the other hand requires more time and effort but why put that effort in if he's already aware that its a poor fit in the first place.

skidbubble
Aug 2, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry but if someone buys a house or a car and then two hours later decides that they don't want it anymore, then I would say they made an ill-informed, impulsive purchase.

Two hours just simply isn't enough time to fully explore the features of an item, cell phones included.

maflynn
Aug 2, 2012, 08:08 AM
Two hours just simply isn't enough time to fully explore the features of an item, cell phones included.
As I posted, 2 hours is not enough time to fully explore the features, I agree with your post up to that point. You can as a consumer see whether a product fits your needs in that time frame however. We're not talking rocket science, both the iPhone and S3 are sold to the consumer as easy to use powerful phones. If someone within two hours decides its a poor fit then he made the right decision.

Another point is, if android is so complex that it takes days or longer to figure out, doesn't that highlight a problem then? I mean lets take the inverse to the argument. If 2 hours is not enough time then how good is a phone that requires significant time ( days or longer) to figure out?

I've used android, I've owned android phones (nexus and droid x) and it offers a lot of customization and flexibility which took time to fully enjoy the power and intricacies but I saw early on that the features of android offered me a lot. It only took an hour of usage to see I made the right choice.

beavo451
Aug 2, 2012, 08:20 AM
The screen on the S3 is unusable in sunlight,

If you have autobrightness on, in my experience it does not allow the screen to reach full brightness even in direct sunlight. I downloaded a widget called "Widgetsoid" that has a button that allows me to change between auto and full brightness.
The default keyboard sucked,
So you never bothered to try others?

html email is awful on it because you can't zoom out and have to pan around the screen.
I agree
I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone.
Probably. Took me a while too.

The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3.
The S3 IS fast. Faster than my friend's iPhone 4. Faster than mine and my wife's 4s. Regarding the delay you are experiencing with the home button: Go to S-Voice settings and turn off double clicking home to access it. The delay is there because it is waiting to see if there is a second click.
There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down. Disagree on this one.

Sedrick
Aug 2, 2012, 08:21 AM
Lets cut the OP some slack in that people can easily discern whether a product fits his needs after a few hours. Learning to use the phone to its fullest potential on the other hand requires more time and effort but why put that effort in if he's already aware that its a poor fit in the first place.

I agree. Truth be told, though, some people are more open to a different experience than others. Kind of like someone wanting to try a cigarette, but has no intention to keep on smoking.

At least the OP gave it a go.

beavo451
Aug 2, 2012, 08:23 AM
Another point is, if android is so complex that it takes days or longer to figure out, doesn't that highlight a problem then? I mean lets take the inverse to the argument. If 2 hours is not enough time then how good is a phone that requires significant time ( days or longer) to figure out?

I think the current versions of Android and iOS take the same amount of time to "figure out" how to use. The part that takes longer is learning the details of each system and whether or not you can live with them.

That being said, there are some things that you just know you won't like after a short time. I had originally bought the HTC One X. I really like it with its great screen, unibody construction, notifications on the lock screen, etc. But the major killer for me was the overly aggressive memory management. I unlocked the phone to check a text, hit home, and it had to spend 5 seconds to reload the home screen. That for me was unacceptable.

Sedrick
Aug 2, 2012, 08:30 AM
I think the current versions of Android and iOS take the same amount of time to "figure out" how to use. The part that takes longer is learning the details of each system and whether or not you can live with them.

That being said, there are some things that you just know you won't like after a short time. I had originally bought the HTC One X. I really like it with its great screen, unibody construction, notifications on the lock screen, etc. But the major killer for me was the overly aggressive memory management. I unlocked the phone to check a text, hit home, and it had to spend 5 seconds to reload the home screen. That for me was unacceptable.
Can you root the One X to get rid of HTC's GUI?

Elven
Aug 2, 2012, 08:38 AM
I have spent a day with an older Samsung phone on Android, initially I disliked it, however I soon learned that Android requires the tweaker to make it "yours"

Apple avoids this with the set UI and then allows customisation with the App Store, and your wallpaper/icon layout.

Android gives you MUCH more in way of customisation, and this helped me become happy with it, however after much time I was happy to hand it back.

That said Android did suit the tweaker in me, and I think the S3 is an amazing phone, BUT it does require you sit down and spend an hour or so just tweaking the UI and adding widgets and customisations to suit your tastes.

Now Apple's iPhone comes pretty much setup, the style is already there and set your wallpaper and icon layout and your good to go with the shiny Apple.

It's a catch 22 dish of Marmite.

ixodes
Aug 2, 2012, 08:41 AM
OK, setting aside the specifics for just this second, I will confess I am a very hard core Mac Laptop Enthusiast / User / Advocate.

Since 1991 I have been advocating to those who ask, just how great Apple computers and OS X is. That's my truth.

If someone I suggest a Mac too, tells me they only gave it two hours before rejecting it, after spending a lifetime with PC's, I must say I don't think that's fair to the person who's interested in a Mac, nor is it fair to the platform.

If they reject a Mac after two hours, that reflects more on the person than it does on the platform.

Now while Macs are more complex that iPhones or iPads, it's still a bit more complex than some of the other products (cars etc) people have used as examples for comparison.

In a measly two hours ... one cannot tell if an Android, or Windows Phone 7, or any other smartphone is "a fit", for them. It simply cannot be done.

For those who may not know, Android is a totally different platform, and requires some knowledge to enjoy it's strengths. The same could be said for an iPhone if they've never used one before.

Who loses?

Not Apple, it's no secret they've already made massive amounts of profit... so who loses? The person that cast off the Mac, or iPhone, or Android, before learning enough of the basics to make a true comparison between that and the competitive product.

If this is hard for some to comprehend, perhaps a spiral binder and a pen would be better tools for them.

If someone tells me after a few weeks they didn't like Android, I respect that they gave both themselves and the platform a chance. They learned enough to know for a fact it wasn't their cup of tea.

Now that's an intelligent approach that I respect.

That's why I enjoy both Android and iOS. They are both excellent with their various strengths and weaknesses. No smartphone is perfect, I don't expect them to be.

Speaking only for myself I greatly PREFER Macs and iOS...

Yet I also get great enjoyment out of Windows 7, Samsung's Galaxy Series of Android powered smartphones and most everything else that relates to mobile computing and communication.

phpmaven
Aug 2, 2012, 08:55 AM
I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone.

Ya think? :p

Dontazemebro
Aug 2, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'm kinda tired of all these redundant "I switched but now I'm back with xxx" device.

Seems like it's the same spiel over and over again. At this point why even create the thread unless you're the type of person that cares what others think. You're not gonna receive brownies points for being loyal to your oem of choice. And this goes for both sides (android/iOS). News flash, no one cares.

AustinIllini
Aug 2, 2012, 09:01 AM
No android trial is complete without trying at least two different launchers. Seriously, you can change everything about your phone. To be honest, you need probably a week to get a serious try in.

beavo451
Aug 2, 2012, 09:07 AM
Can you root the One X to get rid of HTC's GUI?

I researched it and supposedly a different launcher solves the problem. I'm liking the S3 more though.

Dontazemebro
Aug 2, 2012, 09:12 AM
I researched it and supposedly a different launcher solves the problem. I'm liking the S3 more though.

Not exactly. The only way to change htc's aggressive memory management is to root and install a mod.

Also I hear the new Asia ruu 4.0.4 is supposed to be less aggressive.

Wrathwitch
Aug 2, 2012, 09:21 AM
OK, setting aside the specifics for just this second, I will confess I am a very hard core Mac Laptop Enthusiast / User / Advocate.

Since 1991 I have been advocating to those who ask, just how great Apple computers and OS X is. That's my truth.

If someone I suggest a Mac too, tells me they only gave it two hours before rejecting it, after spending a lifetime with PC's, I must say I don't think that's fair to the person who's interested in a Mac, nor is it fair to the platform.

If they reject a Mac after two hours, that reflects more on the person than it does on the platform.

Now while Macs are more complex that iPhones or iPads, it's still a bit more complex than some of the other products (cars etc) people have used as examples for comparison.

In a measly two hours ... one cannot tell if an Android, or Windows Phone 7, or any other smartphone is "a fit", for them. It simply cannot be done.

For those who may not know, Android is a totally different platform, and requires some knowledge to enjoy it's strengths. The same could be said for an iPhone if they've never used one before.

Who loses?

Not Apple, it's no secret they've already made massive amounts of profit... so who loses? The person that cast off the Mac, or iPhone, or Android, before learning enough of the basics to make a true comparison between that and the competitive product.

If this is hard for some to comprehend, perhaps a spiral binder and a pen would be better tools for them.

If someone tells me after a few weeks they didn't like Android, I respect that they gave both themselves and the platform a chance. They learned enough to know for a fact it wasn't their cup of tea.

Now that's an intelligent approach that I respect.

That's why I enjoy both Android and iOS. They are both excellent with their various strengths and weaknesses. No smartphone is perfect, I don't expect them to be.

Speaking only for myself I greatly PREFER Macs and iOS...

Yet I also get great enjoyment out of Windows 7, Samsung's Galaxy Series of Android powered smartphones and most everything else that relates to mobile computing and communication.

2 hours is plenty of time to determine that a product is not a good fit. I don't understand members who complain that its not enough time to make a decision.

Sure, its insufficient to discern the various intricacies of android, or learn about all of its features, but the OP certainly can see whether the phone fits his needs within that time span.

In that 2 hours, the OP could see that syncing his music will take extra work, any iTunes videos/movies will not be played on his phone thanks to DRM. Contacts, calendar events may not have the level of integration if the OP is fully enmeshed in the apple eco system.

The above quote more eloquently expresses my initial statement in a way that I failed to deliver.

I do respectfully disagree with you Mayflynn. Learning and working with a new OS, especially when you have never done so before can be intimidating and often people very soon seek their comfort level without exploring further because generally people fear change or the unfamiliar. The basics you can set up out of the box, like any phone: mail, sms, contacts etc. You mention contacts integration, that is easily done with a bit of research on how to do it. Add Gmail to your mac mail and sync contacts. To import any or all playlists and videos from iTunes other than the DRM protected videos you have an app that does that over wifi seamlessly.

Android does not have to cater only to the Tweaker etc. I like to customize my phone a bit more than what Apple has to offer, but I haven't as of yet Rooted and custom ROM'd it.

To say you hate the keyboard like it was the only one you are stuck with like the iPhone, and not even TRY a new one looks more to me like someone is trying to justify to others why they didn't like a device. All of the things the OP mentioned other than mail, are easily switched. The OP just didn't bother because either they were freaked out with the influx of new information or just stressed because the device wasn't useable in the same way the iPhone is.

Trust me when I tell you going from the iP4 to the S3 for me was a HUGE learning curve, the difference is that I had an open mind to stick with and explore my choice. I don't regret it. And yes, there are some things I miss with iOS too. But none of them were a deal breaker.

I also did a HUGE amount of research on the phone before I purchased it as I was nervous to leave such a reliable phone. Doing this research allowed me to see all of the fixes or items you need to address the issues the OP mentioned.

beavo451
Aug 2, 2012, 09:48 AM
Not exactly. The only way to change htc's aggressive memory management is to root and install a mod.

Also I hear the new Asia ruu 4.0.4 is supposed to be less aggressive.

Ok, thanks. I'm not prepared to dive into rooting at this stage.

ixodes
Aug 2, 2012, 10:18 AM
1) Trust me when I tell you going from the iP4 to the S3 for me was a HUGE learning curve, the difference is that I had an open mind to stick with and explore my choice. I don't regret it. And yes, there are some things I miss with iOS too. But none of them were a deal breaker.

2) I also did a HUGE amount of research on the phone before I purchased it as I was nervous to leave such a reliable phone. Doing this research allowed me to see all of the fixes or items you need to address the issues the OP mentioned.

My compliments on a well written post.

1) The key ingredient which you have expressed is an _Open Mind_
Attitude is everything, and with the right approach as you have taken, the outcome of ones experience is much more positive, even if it turns out that one does not end up liking the chosen product.

2) There's no substitute for doing comprehensive research _before_ any large or complex purchase. It saves enormous amounts of time and frustration as compared to those who choose not to research their interest.

Finally, as someone who has used both iOS and Android concurrently since each was introduced, I would encourage you to wait before you think seriously about rooting. I've done lots of it over the years before Android Ice Cream Sandwich.

While it was important and necessary then... Now it's more of an _option_ simply to open up the power of the device, further than it is.

I would suggest that you learn the Android OS very thoroughly as it is. There's so much to learn, so much fun to have, so many things it will do in it's original state, that you may very well find that rooting is of no particular advantage to you.

Conversely, should you decide to root, I highly encourage you to use xda-developers site, as they have the best, most current and accurate info for you to use as a learning resource.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php?tab=all

Enjoy :)

nickchallis92
Aug 2, 2012, 10:24 AM
I don't understand why people are saying that android is hard to use or takes time to adjust.

it really isn't that complicated! It's the same iOS except you have to get to the app draw by hitting 'applications'! The phone works great out the box and customising is simply an option for those who want it (basically everyone).

The S3 is brilliant. it merges the simplicity of ios but allows the user to customise the android experience without impacting on usability. love it and much more fulfilling than iOS

ixodes
Aug 2, 2012, 10:26 AM
Ok, thanks. I'm not prepared to dive into rooting at this stage.

Rooting is _not_ a necessity as it once was.

I have an HTC One X, it's my fourth HTC Android smartphone. While in the past memory management was an issue with their models, the current One X runs Ice Cream Sandwich which manages memory very well. That's from my first hand experience.

Second. Now more than ever, rooting is simply an option, not needed unless you are the type that loves to _heavily_ customize your smartphone beyond what can be done in it's original state.

Customizing is one of greatest advantages of ICS version of Android, as it offers a lot that you can do... a tremendous amount _without rooting_

So don't let the whole rooting concept freak you out.

There's no reason to even get close to rooting on these new phones.

Especially the two I have, the two that are widely known as the best of the best, currently.

- Samsung S III
- HTC One X

Cheers :)

nuckinfutz
Aug 2, 2012, 10:31 AM
folks

He didn't say this was his first Android phone. He's tried out multiple models and he's listed the models.

Many of you dislike someone telling you that the iPhone is the perfect phone for everyone. Let him make his choice as you made yours. If his platform choice differs from yours it's because he has his own reasons.

iPhones aren't for everyone
Android phones aren't for everyone.

The sooner we all realize this the better.

Wrathwitch
Aug 2, 2012, 10:37 AM
folks

He didn't say this was his first Android phone. He's tried out multiple models and he's listed the models.

Many of you dislike someone telling you that the iPhone is the perfect phone for everyone. Let him make his choice as you made yours. If his platform choice differs from yours it's because he has his own reasons.

I must have missed the part (that wasn't there) about all the phones he's tried in the ORIGINAL post. Which I think is what got everyone all inflamed about the 2 hour, I tried it but didn't like it post.

The iPhone is perfect for some people, but most people don't grab a new tech item for 2 hours (especially if they truly have an open mind and as the OP said "wanted to like it") and decide without using the device to it's full capacity, and then start whining about features he didn't like without attempting to experiment or see if other options would work. Especially since one of the device's main selling points IS the ability to CHANGE things you don't like on it.

nuckinfutz
Aug 2, 2012, 10:43 AM
I must have missed the part (that wasn't there) about all the phones he's tried in the ORIGINAL post. Which I think is what got everyone all inflamed about the 2 hour, I tried it but didn't like it post.

The iPhone is perfect for some people, but most people don't grab a new tech item for 2 hours (especially if they truly have an open mind and as the OP said "wanted to like it") and decide without using the device to it's full capacity, and then start whining about features he didn't like without attempting to experiment or see if other options would work. Especially since one of the device's main selling points IS the ability to CHANGE things you don't like on it.

He mentioned his prior use of multiple Android phones in the 3rd post. Yet the herd mentality kicks in and suddenly he's not investigated it enough to make an informed decision. He also mentioned owning a JB iPhone so I'm not sure i'd put in in the category of average person.

I understand the Android fans on here want to stick together but this thread is a pile on. None of us know Alvin from Adam but I'm going to give him the benefit. He didn't slam Android ..he mentioned things that he liked and things he didn't.

I just don't think there's a universal phone that everyone is going to like. No matter how awesome one person things the S3 is there will be another that doesn't think it's that great.

Dontazemebro
Aug 2, 2012, 10:49 AM
Rooting is _not_ a necessity as it once was.

I have an HTC One X, it's my fourth HTC Android smartphone. While in the past memory management was an issue with their models, the current One X runs Ice Cream Sandwich which manages memory very well. That's from my first hand experience.

Second. Now more than ever, rooting is simply an option, not needed unless you are the type that loves to _heavily_ customize your smartphone beyond what can be done in it's original state.

Customizing is one of greatest advantages of ICS version of Android, as it offers a lot that you can do... a tremendous amount _without rooting_

So don't let the whole rooting concept freak you out.

There's no reason to even get close to rooting on these new phones.

Especially the two I have, the two that are widely known as the best of the best, currently.

- Samsung S III
- HTC One X

Much like you I'm also a dual owner, both android and iOS. While I agree with your post, you can't really get the full android experience sans root.

I started out with Android since the very beginning (Original G1) and just recently picked up my first ios device last year (iPhone 4). On the other hand the HTC One X is probably my 10th android device that I've owned and as an android enthusiast, I couldn't even imagine owning an android phone and not rooting it to unlock its full potential.

I can understand that some may think it a daunting task but nowadays the process is rather easy with almost little to no consequence if you can follow simple instructions. IMO, rooting truly allows you to make the device your own.

AlvinNguyen
Aug 2, 2012, 12:04 PM
folks

Thank you so much for seeing this!

I was not bashing on Android phones - I simply listed what I liked / disliked about the S3 and the same for my iPhone 4S.

At the end none of the 2 is perfect but I picked the one that I think was better out of the two for me needs :)

Cheers :p

ixodes
Aug 2, 2012, 12:13 PM
Much like you I'm also a dual owner, both android and iOS. While I agree with your post, you can't really get the full android experience sans root.

I started out with Android since the very beginning (Original G1) and just recently picked up my first ios device last year (iPhone 4). On the other hand the HTC One X is probably my 10th android device that I've owned and as an android enthusiast, I couldn't even imagine owning an android phone and not rooting it to unlock its full potential.

I can understand that some may think it a daunting task but nowadays the process is rather easy with almost little to no consequence if you can follow simple instructions. IMO, rooting truly allows you to make the device your own.
It's all a matter of perspective and skill & knowledge of the individual.
I like to frame it as follows: There are actually _TWO_ available Android experiences:

1) Stock ICS and up
2) Rooted ICS and up

Android ICS is far more advanced than iOS 5.x.x or 6.x.x Furthermore compared to iOS there is so much more than can be done with the stock configuration, I was simply highlighting that, for those who are new to the platform.

Actually rooting is not daunting at all, only for those that are new, and try it before learning the platform. Once one has a good understanding, it's really very easy.

Personally I've rooted every one of the 12 or so Android phones I've had. But I'm also a formally trained software engineer that has a lot of experience in the desktop and mobile OS space. So the only point is... my perspective is a lot different than that of a novice.

AlvinNguyen
Aug 2, 2012, 12:13 PM

It's all good - I didn't post that (should have). Honestly though, most people won't even invest enough to buy a phone and then use it for a couple hours just to sell it again - I bought it out of contract to not have to use my discount. Will end up using the discount for my iphone :)

So check out the marketplace if you guys want to buy a mint, like new GS3 :)

cynics
Aug 2, 2012, 05:33 PM
I don't think two hours is near enough. Its enough time to see if its a good fit, size, screen, weight etc but that stuff doesn't require someone actually buying the phone. Its not like its bigger then the display model or you can't imagine its size.

I didn't like my iPhone for WEEKS now I enjoy it a lot.

Also there are plenty of apps that are terrible on iOS vs Android. That gittery Facebook mess and useless YouTube app to name a couple. I think that argument goes both ways however I admit iOS is better with apps but not by a landslide. Apples restrictions hinder some apps or prevent certain apps existence.

xAgustinx
Aug 2, 2012, 07:09 PM
OP, Nice desktop.

I'm curious about GS3, but I will wait for iPhone 5.

How is the interaction between GS3 and OSX?

Wrathwitch
Aug 3, 2012, 06:21 AM
OP, Nice desktop.

I'm curious about GS3, but I will wait for iPhone 5.

How is the interaction between GS3 and OSX?

The interaction is not too painful actually. It is relatively easy to sync contacts from the address book by adding Gmail to your Mail app. When you hook it in, it asks if you want to run it as if it was a camera and so you can access and transfer photos etc.

I also bought iSync Wifi and so it seamlessly transfers my videos (excepting protected ones) and all or whichever of my playlists I choose, it also will add new songs that one purchases with the phone into iTunes.

I attempted to use Samsung's pathetic attempt at iTunes (Kies)and it truly was pathetic. It's like some developer started and then got distracted by a porn flick and just hit the send button with the program being half finished to Samsung.

ixodes
Aug 3, 2012, 06:24 AM
Must be the security blanket iPhones come with :D

/sarcasm

aleni
Aug 3, 2012, 08:25 AM
I tried to like android for a long time, but i found it not as smooth as iOS. They keep telling me it's smoother now! Everytime, from froyo, gingerbread, ics and now jelly bean.

I'm not gonna get another android even though the google hype about project peanut butter*lol*.

I believe it's still not as smooth as iOS. Even it's smooth now on jb, i think the smoothness only in android UI and stock apps. for everything else, like 3rd party apps will lag just like before.

From my experience, people who love android is people who never tried the iphone, after they tried the iphone, they will go to the iphone.

Zaft
Aug 3, 2012, 08:30 AM
I tried to like android for a long time, but i found it not as smooth as iOS. They keep telling me it's smoother now! Everytime, from froyo, gingerbread, ics and now jelly bean.

I'm not gonna get another android even though the google hype about project peanut butter*lol*.

I believe it's still not as smooth as iOS. Even it's smooth now on jb, i think the smoothness only in android UI and stock apps. for everything else, like 3rd party apps will lag just like before.From my experience, people who love android is people who never tried the iphone, after they tried the iphone, they will go to the iphone.

Thats not entirely true. I have played with some of my friends Galaxy S 3s,
3rd party apps are smooth on Ice cream sandwhich. There really is no gap anymore, its just personnel preference now.

Calidude
Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 AM
I like Android, but I don't like the S3. I consider you S3 people my Android brethren but this phone does feel like it was designed by lawyers.

Wrathwitch
Aug 3, 2012, 10:37 AM
From my experience, people who love android is people who never tried the iphone, after they tried the iphone, they will go to the iphone.

I respectfully disagree with you. I have owned an iPhone4 for 2 years and loved it for 22months of those, then the koolaid wore off and I wanted to see what else there was to drink.

So far it's pretty tasty.

matttye
Aug 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
After 4 years with iPhones I just switched to the galaxy S3 to change to a better provider and while I liked it at first, after about 2 weeks of use, I'm hoping to return the S3. The screen on the S3 is unusable in sunlight, The default keyboard sucked, html email is awful on it because you can't zoom out and have to pan around the screen. I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone. The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3. There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down.

Sunlight legibility seems fine to me!

One thing you need to get used to is the fact that while iOS just does things in a particular way and it's tough if you don't like it, Android has hundreds if not thousands of options to tweak and fine tune the OS to your liking. Your slow UI comments can be fixed by changing options:

1. The slow home screen thing is because of the double tap home to launch S voice option in S Voice > tap menu button > Settings > Launch S Voice. It's slow to react when this option is enabled because the OS waits to see if the button is pressed a second time.

2. The slow task switching/screen switching is because of the animations. Animations can be sped up or removed completely by going to Settings > Developer Options > change Window animation scale and Transition animation scale to 0.5x or "Animation is off" to turn them off completely.

----------

-SIZE: It's size is ginormous (and I was the guy who WANTED the giant screen) - It irritated the crap out of my not being able to get to items on the upper corners of the screen

Yeah can be kinda annoying sometimes, but there's rarely a time when I notice this.

Keyboard: Really crappy compared to iOS. Maybe it's something I can get used to but for now it's really uncomfortable to type on.

You can get other keyboards; the ICS or JB keyboards are good (and free), as is SwiftKey (but costs).

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 3, 2012, 05:26 PM
2 hours is not enough??? .... But yet so many of you in these forums judge the next iPhone before it's out, based on rumor pics and iOS beta. :confused:

Dunbar
Aug 3, 2012, 06:02 PM
2 hours is not enough??? .... But yet so many of you in these forums judge the next iPhone before it's out, based on rumor pics and iOS beta. :confused:

LOL, people speculate about all kinds of random Apple rumors. If you're going to actually buy a phone you have 14-30 days to return it so it makes no sense to jump to conclusions in 2 hours. I think these liberal return policies invite rampant abuse. Some people clearly aren't really very serious about keeping these Android phones but use the liberal return policy to do an extended demo to bide them over until the next iPhone is released.

canucksfan88
Aug 3, 2012, 06:07 PM
sorry but if you are used to iOS....it is going to take more than 2 hours to get used to different things.

Zaft
Aug 3, 2012, 06:19 PM
sorry but if you are used to iOS....it is going to take more than 2 hours to get used to different things.
The OP did mention he had android before. so its not like hes totally new.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 3, 2012, 06:30 PM
LOL, people speculate about all kinds of random Apple rumors. If you're going to actually buy a phone you have 14-30 days to return it so it makes no sense to jump to conclusions in 2 hours. I think these liberal return policies invite rampant abuse. Some people clearly aren't really very serious about keeping these Android phones but use the liberal return policy to do an extended demo to bide them over until the next iPhone is released.

Why wait for the last minute to return and deal with something you already know you don't like or doesn't fit you?

Rampant abuse???? LOL
The competition welcomes iPhones users to gives other devices a try.

For the OP, it seems that the S3 just didn't match up to the comfort level that he is used to with the iPhone/iOS or SG3 just didn't live up to the hype(reason for thread title). He made the decision to stick it out or move on. Sticking it out leaves a 50/50 chance he still might not like the S3. Maybe it's a chance he didn't want to take. And I don't blame him. 2 hours was more than enough, especially if one finds multiple disappointments out the box.

Not really. Eithier things work smoothly or don't. To each his own when judging. Also, things are eithier user friendly or not. And of course the iPhone will be one of the comparison measures.

When I tried the Evo, I had no problem adjusting. Even with I played around with W7 phone, wasn't any real adjustment.

I don't recall the OP stating he didn't know how to work Android.

cynics
Aug 3, 2012, 06:39 PM

I believe it's still not as smooth as iOS. Even it's smooth now on jb, i think the smoothness only in android UI and stock apps. for everything else, like 3rd party apps will lag just like before.

I agree I think its not quite as smooth as iOS however its close enough to come down to personal preference vs negligible smoothness. Keep in mind iOS prioritizes UI over everything. So if you are downloading a web page in a web browser and started scrolling iOS will pause the downloading until you stop. Android does not, it will continue to load making the experience choppy, however now its really close and Android will continue foreground/background operation.

I also think you'll be surprised about the Android users here. I'd venture a guess that the majority are previous iOS devices users or currently use both. I have an iPhone 4S, iPad 2, Xoom, Razr, and PC's...I'm happy with all of them....

Greg.
Aug 3, 2012, 06:40 PM
Going to echo the 2 hours isn't enough comments. e.g. In less than 2 hours, Siri seemed amazing - but eventually you realise it is useless for day-to-day use. You use your phone throughout the day so you ought to test it like that.

Mac.World
Aug 3, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'd say your experience is pretty limited or you live in a country where the iphone is considered a 'wealth' item, like in India or China.

I've been buying iphones every since the beginning of 2008. I bought the Galaxy S3 recently and it is so much better than the iPhone IMO. I can't imagine going back to the tiny iphone screen and the restrictive and constricted OS. Just not my cup of tea any more, and there are a lot of people like me as well. Ever wonder why the Admins decided to make this area for non-iOS users. In a word, "Demand"

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 3, 2012, 07:06 PM
Going to echo the 2 hours isn't enough comments. e.g. In less than 2 hours, Siri seemed amazing - but eventually you realise it is useless for day-to-day use. You use your phone throughout the day so you ought to test it like that.

That's you. So many others still use Siri.

Should someone still purchase a car after a disappointing 30min test drive? Or would you tell them the ride gets better with new tires, new exhaust, etc?

canucksfan88
Aug 3, 2012, 07:39 PM
The OP did mention he had android before. so its not like hes totally new.

true but i would still give it more than 2 hours to use the keyboard. you would still be conditioned after 2 hours to type like one does on the iPhone

i hated typing on the iPhone originally...took me a few days to get used to it. had i only given it 2 hours...i might have just changed phones

aleni
Aug 3, 2012, 10:32 PM
I'd say your experience is pretty limited or you live in a country where the iphone is considered a 'wealth' item, like in India or China.

I've been buying iphones every since the beginning of 2008. I bought the Galaxy S3 recently and it is so much better than the iPhone IMO. I can't imagine going back to the tiny iphone screen and the restrictive and constricted OS. Just not my cup of tea any more, and there are a lot of people like me as well. Ever wonder why the Admins decided to make this area for non-iOS users. In a word, "Demand"

u make sense lol, because i live in indonesia when the iPhone is being branded as a wealth item.

zainiak
Aug 3, 2012, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=AlvinNguyen;
Keyboard: Really crappy compared to iOS. Maybe it's something I can get used to but for now it's really uncomfortable to type on.[/QUOTE]
you can get many awesome keyboards from the play store, ex. swiftkey 3, swiftkey x, thumb keyboard

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 05:05 AM
Why wait for the last minute to return and deal with something you already know you don't like or doesn't fit you?

Rampant abuse???? LOL
The competition welcomes iPhones users to gives other devices a try.

For the OP, it seems that the S3 just didn't match up to the comfort level that he is used to with the iPhone/iOS or SG3 just didn't live up to the hype(reason for thread title). He made the decision to stick it out or move on. Sticking it out leaves a 50/50 chance he still might not like the S3. Maybe it's a chance he didn't want to take. And I don't blame him. 2 hours was more than enough, especially if one finds multiple disappointments out the box.

Not really. Eithier things work smoothly or don't. To each his own when judging. Also, things are eithier user friendly or not. And of course the iPhone will be one of the comparison measures.

When I tried the Evo, I had no problem adjusting. Even with I played around with W7 phone, wasn't any real adjustment.

I don't recall the OP stating he didn't know how to work Android.

Two hours isn't enough time to get to know Android. If you were familiar with the OS, you would know this.

Dont like the keyboard? Change it.
Don't like the default Twitter/Facebook apps? Change them.
Phone too slow? Tweak the options, speed up or turn off animations.

Android isn't something you should expect to work exactly as you want it to out of the box. It's a highly customisable OS that needs to be tweaked to suit the person using it. You can't learn these tweaks in two hours. You can't even learn the tweaks specific to the S3 in two hours.

Not everyone likes to tweak stuff, so I can understand why some people wouldn't like Android for that reason.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 4, 2012, 06:22 AM
Two hours isn't enough time to get to know Android. If you were familiar with the OS, you would know this.

I am familiar with Android. I had an Android phone before, and currently have an Android tablet. Don't make assumptions as if you know what users are familiar with.

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 06:53 AM
I am familiar with Android. I had an Android phone before, and currently have an Android tablet. Don't make assumptions as if you know what users are familiar with.

Then you'll know that two hours isn't enough time to get to know Android, surely.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 4, 2012, 07:13 AM
Then you'll know that two hours isn't enough time to get to know Android, surely.

Yea sure, whatever you say .... :rolleyes:

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 07:56 AM
Yea sure, whatever you say .... :rolleyes:

I get it..you probably gave it two hours before writing it off too, and you don't know how Android works either :p

Tubamajuba
Aug 4, 2012, 08:14 AM
UPDATE: Ok so because some people are wondering if I actually bought the phone or "played with it in the store for 2 hours", here is proof that it's in my possession still.

Regardless of how long you spent with the phone, it's a sin to not prefer Android over iOS around here.

phpmaven
Aug 4, 2012, 08:45 AM
Regardless of how long you spent with the phone, it's a sin to not prefer Android over iOS around here.

Give me a break. For most of those posting in this thread the issue is there is no way that the OP or anyone else for that matter who is not familiar with Android could make an intelligent decision about a new phone in 2 hours period. Any decision at that point would be completely a gut reaction based on initial impressions. If you were coming from an iPhone all you would be thinking about was the differences and being frustrated that things didn't work the same, thus the OP's comment about it taking twice as long to get things done. And his comment that the phone is "ginormous". Most people were like me who at first were like "this thing is huge!" But after a week or so got used to it and then when we looked at an iPhone again it looked tiny and washed out. I actually would like to come back to the iPhone but not if it's taller and not wider.

When I went from my iPhone to the Galaxy S II, it took me days to get familiar with things and had to relearn how to do a lot of things. At first I though maybe I had made a mistake, but now I'm quite comfortable with it.

It would be like going from a PC to a Mac and setting it up at 3PM and then deciding at 5PM that a Mac isn't for you.

Sdahe
Aug 4, 2012, 09:19 AM

What would be the appropiate amount of time to judge a phone?

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 4, 2012, 09:24 AM
Give me a break. For most of those posting in this thread the issue is there is no way that the OP or anyone else for that matter who is not familiar with Android could make an intelligent decision about a new phone in 2 hours period. Any decision at that point would be completely a gut reaction based on initial impressions. If you were coming from an iPhone all you would be thinking about was the differences and being frustrated that things didn't work the same, thus the OP's comment about it taking twice as long to get things done. And his comment that the phone is "ginormous". Most people were like me who at first were like "this thing is huge!" But after a week or so got used to it and then when we looked at an iPhone again it looked tiny and washed out. I actually would like to come back to the iPhone but not if it's taller and not wider.

When I went from my iPhone to the Galaxy S II, it took me days to get familiar with things and had to relearn how to do a lot of things. At first I though maybe I had made a mistake, but now I'm quite comfortable with it.

It would be like going from a PC to a Mac and setting it up at 3PM and then deciding at 5PM that a Mac isn't for you.

Sorry, I see a double standard here. It's ok to make a poor initial judgement on the iPhone compared to what Android has to offer, but not the other way around? :confused:

Who doesn't judge based on comparing to another product? This is normal. Would you purchase a TV, car, or PC and say "it works, that good enough for me", or do you compare to similar products to get your money's worth and go for what fits you the best?

Dontazemebro
Aug 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
Honestly I think 2hrs is enough time to figure out if you want to try something different or not. I think what most people are saying is that you have to have a completely different mindset when jumping over to android from iOS, which is true.

Those that make the jump and stick with the device are the ones who are open to learning how android works. The ones that don't stick with it (after 2hrs) want everything to work for them right out of the box which is not going to happen, because the biggest selling point for android is that it's a customizable OS.

Therefore 2hrs is fine. It's clear that android is not the os for him.

Calidude
Aug 4, 2012, 10:35 AM
A weekend.

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 10:51 AM

You can't quantify it, but imo it's enough time to work out what you don't like about it and work out if there are ways to solve your problems.

Saying that you don't like it because the stock keyboard sucks implies that you don't realise the keyboard can be changed, which indicates you haven't spent enough time with the device.

skidbubble
Aug 4, 2012, 11:16 AM

Well, a phone is a device that is used throughout the day. If you are going to judge a new phone, it should be tested and used under similar conditions and circumstances, throughout the day.

garbeth
Aug 4, 2012, 11:50 AM
Must admit, I've recently begun thinking about changing camps to Samsung....

lamboman
Aug 4, 2012, 12:22 PM
I think this thread sums up perfectly the problem with the MacRumors community today.

While two hours is not enough to become acquainted with all of the features of the device, it is more than enough time to get a good grip on the overall feel of it, and learn of the most basic and commonly used functions. The OP purchased the phone, tried it out, didn't like it. Not once did he say that Android or the S3 were worse than the iPhone and iOS. He merely said that the S3 doesn't match his preferences. How anybody can argue in this thread is beyond me, unless you know the OP better than he does. Furthermore, the OP's first gripe was with the oversized display. Two more days won't make that display any smaller.

It seems that whenever anybody states that they either dislike Android or think it is inferior to iOS, people immediately starting lashing out at them. Not just on here, but on the comments section of any YouTube video at all. If the iPhone obliterates the competition in one particular test but loses in the rest, there is guaranteed to be a stream of comments stating that the video is biased, even with the pro-Android finish.

For reference, I owned an HTC Desire HD before I owned any iPhone. I'm very familiar with Android, yet simply didn't like it. None of the Android devices appeal to me at all, and Windows Phone is a riskier platform to enter than the other two. Does that make me a fanboy? No. It means I prefer iOS over Android. I certainly wouldn't spend hundreds of pounds on a product that I dislike.

EDIT: Worth adding, trying a feature like Siri for two hours and trying an OS for the same period is not the same. With any OS nowadays you expect certain basic features, with the difference between them being how they are implemented. On the other hand, features such as Siri are completely new, with new capabilities in themselves. It isn't a case of trying out what you already know, more a case of seeing what's new.

Timzer
Aug 6, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think this thread sums up perfectly the problem with the MacRumors community today.

While two hours is not enough to become acquainted with all of the features of the device, it is more than enough time to get a good grip on the overall feel of it, and learn of the most basic and commonly used functions.

Absolutely not true. Bought the Nokia 710. Didn't like it at all for the first week, it just didn't feel "right" too me. But now after having it for a month, I'm liking the feel in my hands much more and I'm also using it much more efficiently. My S3 is still my daily driver. The 710 is entry level, but I'm getting warmed up to Windows Phone as I plan on getting a high end Windows Phone 8 device. So no, 2 hrs is nowhere near enough time to come to any legitimate conclusion about any device in anyway. The thing is you have to have an open mind. When you try out a completely new OS and device, you can't go into it with habits you have from your current OS/device. My plan is to run both a high end Android device and a high end Windows Phone 8 device as my daily drivers.

phpmaven
Aug 8, 2012, 08:22 AM
Sorry, I see a double standard here. It's ok to make a poor initial judgement on the iPhone compared to what Android has to offer, but not the other way around? :confused:

Who doesn't judge based on comparing to another product? This is normal. Would you purchase a TV, car, or PC and say "it works, that good enough for me", or do you compare to similar products to get your money's worth and go for what fits you the best?

Where did I say it was wrong to judge based on comparing IOS to Android? My point is you can't make an intelligent descision based on using something for 2 hours, period.

Wrathwitch
Aug 8, 2012, 10:43 AM
That's you. So many others still use Siri.

Should someone still purchase a car after a disappointing 30min test drive? Or would you tell them the ride gets better with new tires, new exhaust, etc?

There is a world of difference from going from a car which basically drives the same and operates the same than comparing two completely different operating systems. Yes the phones do the SAME things, but they do them in such a completely different way that if you were going to use the car analogy you might as well compare someone going from an auto transmission vehicle with no new electronics or bluetooth, to going to a fully loaded vehicle complete with GPS, Bluetooth, Onstar, manual transmission, parking assist, etc etc. Then telling someone to get in the car, test it out for half an hour and see what they think. Of course they are not going to be comfortable or necessarily like it until they learn how to use all of the features!!

I agree.

My opinion on this is the amount of time from the exact point that you have it configured to your preferences. ie: keyboard, apps that you like, settings on the device, emails imported. Basically once it is set up so that you don't have to make any adjustments to it and can then just use and explore the device for a couple of days without tweaking.

It seems that whenever anybody states that they either dislike Android or think it is inferior to iOS, people immediately starting lashing out at them. Not just on here, but on the comments section of any YouTube video at all. If the iPhone obliterates the competition in one particular test but loses in the rest, there is guaranteed to be a stream of comments stating that the video is biased, even with the pro-Android finish.

I think the issue here is the amount of time that the OP claimed he TRIED and WANTED to make or like the device, which didn't even include setting the device up in such a manner that he/she would feel comfortable with.

We all respect people who try new things and give them a fair shot, but to complain about things like the keyboard and not even TRY some of the others out there to me is a specific indication of someone who jumped into something without doing his homework first. Yeah I do kind of judge on that. I could have respected the OP's thread a bit more had he said something along the lines of: "tried it for a couple of days", "tried several of the keyboards available" but basically what it came across as is that he fired it up, and expected it to behave the same as iOS right out of the box.

cynics
Aug 8, 2012, 11:46 AM
I'm just glad I gave my iPhone more then 2 hours. I hated pretty much everything about it besides battery life and reception.

I didnt like how slow it is (no LTE). And how app centric it is, seems like I need a work around via an app for mundane task. Screen size. Etc etc. That was my initial "feel". But I've found more pros then cons and now it's my daily driver and will be for quite sometime.

Eddie Bombay
Aug 8, 2012, 11:58 AM
LOL 2 hours? He doesn't even deserve the privilege of owning the phone. Just return it and stick with your IPhone.

aznguyen316
Aug 8, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm just glad I gave my iPhone more then 2 hours. I hated pretty much everything about it besides battery life and reception.

I didnt like how slow it is (no LTE). And how app centric it is, seems like I need a work around via an app for mundane task. Screen size. Etc etc. That was my initial "feel". But I've found more pros then cons and now it's my daily driver and will be for quite sometime.

Was this your first time with ios? I ask because people are knocking the two hours but I've owned iPod touch and iPad for a couple years before getting an iPhone. I feel like two hours with an iPhone would be enough time to understand if I liked it much or not. In relation to the op if he's owned other android phones then maybe 2 hours was enough for him. I owned a droid eris for two years flashed with gingerbread toward the end and the overall feel of ICS is similar to me. I liked android so I don't have much complaints but different strokes for different folks.

I'm not picking on you, just I thought of this after reading your comment.