Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
As many of you have experienced before I'm sure, I too came to the "boredom" stage with iOS. I decided that it might be fun to sell my 4s and buy a GS3 until the next iPhone is released. I wanted to like this phone so damn much - it feels good in the hand (initially), beautiful screen and it has a take on a mobile OS that's wildly different than IOS.

I don't want to go into details of the difference between Android vs. iOS but for me, it was done after 2 hours with the phone.

-SIZE: It's size is ginormous (and I was the guy who WANTED the giant screen) - It irritated the crap out of my not being able to get to items on the upper corners of the screen

APPS: We all know this but even big company apps like Twitter and Instagram is much better on iOS. The simplest things on these apps makes it just annoying enough to be irritated with. Some apps I like are not available

Keyboard: Really crappy compared to iOS. Maybe it's something I can get used to but for now it's really uncomfortable to type on.

The good part is that I actually LIKE the lightweight and the saturation on the screen - the 4s' screen feels pale and not as contrasty after I started using the GS3. The light weight is GREAT and the smooth "pebble" design reminds me a lot of the original iPhone and 3G/3GS which I love. The camera is up to par with the iPhone and it has so many cool functions built in.

I also really like the widgets (even with my jailbroken 4S the widgets sucks compared to the ones Android offers). They're helpful and easy to use. I also really dig the live wallpapers and overall smoothness of the 3GS.

So all in all, it was fun - honestly if it ran iOS it would have been a no brainer. It wasn't the hardware at all -

UPDATE: Ok so because some people are wondering if I actually bought the phone or "played with it in the store for 2 hours", here is proof that it's in my possession still.

Attachments

• ALV_7762.jpg
    ALV_7762.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 412
Last edited:

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
So you judged your phone experience after two hours of usage?

Yes. Why not? Cars, houses, clothes - all bought this way. If I don't have a good feeling about something, I'm not going to try and force myself to like it. Especially when something works perfectly is already here.

In a sense, I gave up widgets and screen size but I get better apps and a device that works better for my needs. Now, I'm not saying this is what others will experience but I have tried to like Android many times.

First with the Google G1, then Mytouch, Mytouch 4G. I had most of them for 3 days or so, save for the G1 which I had for a month. None of them came close to the iPhone that was out at the time - I thought with 4.0+ Androids and Samsung's commitment to the race against Apple we would have a winner with the GS3 but at least right now, for me, it's not an option. Crossing my fingers the new iPhone is going to deliver something other than that nasty "taller" screen layout.

cyper2002

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
After 4 years with iPhones I just switched to the galaxy S3 to change to a better provider and while I liked it at first, after about 2 weeks of use, I'm hoping to return the S3. The screen on the S3 is unusable in sunlight, The default keyboard sucked, html email is awful on it because you can't zoom out and have to pan around the screen. I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone. The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3. There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Yes. Why not? Cars, houses, clothes - all bought this way. If I don't have a good feeling about something, I'm not going to try and force myself to like it. Especially when something works perfectly is already here.

2 hours isn't enough time to learn what the phone can do, much less learn what a completely different OS from what you are used to can do.

Did you learn about the NFC, MHL, or Airdrive capabilities? What about otg cables and a ps3 controller? Did you even try a new launcher, new keyboard like swiftkey, or a twitter app like Tweetcaster that more like Tweetbot?

How about the camera? Did you know you can alter iso settings? Do 270 degree panaramic pictures? Utilize several modes including fireworks? Did you know there was a built in Facial recognition feature with the camera, so you can teach it who a person is and then it remembers and can load pictures of just a specific person?

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I didn't even get into NFC tags, tec tiles, upcoming google wallet/ Isis, or being able to wave your hand in front of your phone to change songs on your music player, or being able to transfer files wirelessly between any computer and the S3, etc...

It took me a week to discover a lot of the features and what they can do. 2 hours is a joke. Why even bother?

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Too many of these similar topic threads have popped up by now... The OPs just make fools of themselves or are trolling. Not sure.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

In a sense, I gave up widgets and screen size but I get better apps and a device that works better for my needs. Now, I'm not saying this is what others will experience but I have tried to like Android many times.

I don't think it's fair that people jump on you for not liking it or making a snap judgement. I do agree that 2 hours is more than a bit on the pale side to really get to know your device. Things are different with cars, and houses etc. Those are all cosmetic items (except cars). Also a couple of test drives with a car is generally more than enough to decide on whether you like how a car responds. There is nothing new to discover with it. You put key in, put foot to gas, drive, turn, brake, park. If it were a matter of just 2 hours I would still be using windows instead of loving my iMac. It takes MORE than 2 hours. It IS a completely different system and works in a different way. I too have experienced some of my preferred apps not only being unavailable for my device, but my damn country as well (Plants vs Zombies). It isn't a game changer for me because i still have an iPad. There are alternatives available and now I am giggling to Zombie Runaway and Zombie Garden. Go figure. Just this morning I was using the device after about a month of using it and abusing it and I actually got my first warm and fuzzy feeling about the phone. I cannot imagine going with a smaller screen. The upcoming "tallphone" ain't gonna cut it for me! Besides, I made a committment to this phone, I am going to ride it out to give it a fair chance.

I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone. The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3. There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down.

I can't completely disagree with you on this (regarding useability) as I just introduced my tech-lame friend to an iPhone4S and she is delighted with it's ease of use. Initially I could see her drooling after my screen but I told her with humour, that "this phone is NOT for you yet, young Padawan". It is nice to cut your teeth on a simple user friendly phone before you get hit with all of the sub-menus and options on an Android, and nice to have all of your stuff easily backed up if you mess it up. I gave my iPhone4 to my mother for the same reason, it is simple, easy and hard to mess up.

As far as keyboards go, seriously dude, you got an Android phone and didn't bother to even TRY a different keyboard of the hundreds that are available???? To me this does indicate that you really aren't into trying something different. It also completely nullifies your argument on the keyboard. One of the nice things about Android is you CAN change the keyboard if you like. You didn't even try. If you were serious about trying out a new OS and phone, you would keep the phone, and make it yours by finding apps that you like, keyboards that you like etc. Also there are two settings for the screen to be adjusted, the brightness, and the automatic contrast setting which you can uncheck to make the screen work a bit better in direct sunlight. To me it just sounds like you are being a bit lazy. I want all of this to fall into my lap and be simple like iPhone. Well I am sure you knew going into the purchase that it wouldn't be.

But I don't recommend going around spouting on how much better the iP4S is better than Android based on your experience of "trying it for 2 hours". You do a disservice to the device and spread false facts to others who may be condsidering a change and have an open enough mind to want to give it a fair shot. I would say the exact same thing to an Android user if they posted a reverse post to what you did.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I dunno. Two hours is enough time for me to judge 90%of the stuff I would typically do on my phone. If it doesn't feel right then either adapt or go with what you know. I haven't used android since gingerbread and hoping ICS has improved. It's true though my GF had major difficulties managing my rooted droid eris - she hated it, but I got her an iPhone and she loves it. Anyway thanks for your opinion hopefully you spend more time with it to share more as I'm considering the s3 for the screen and hardware features.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
2 hours is plenty of time to determine that a product is not a good fit. I don't understand members who complain that its not enough time to make a decision.

Sure, its insufficient to discern the various intricacies of android, or learn about all of its features, but the OP certainly can see whether the phone fits his needs within that time span.

In that 2 hours, the OP could see that syncing his music will take extra work, any iTunes videos/movies will not be played on his phone thanks to DRM. Contacts, calendar events may not have the level of integration if the OP is fully enmeshed in the apple eco system.

Lets cut the OP some slack in that people can easily discern whether a product fits his needs after a few hours. Learning to use the phone to its fullest potential on the other hand requires more time and effort but why put that effort in if he's already aware that its a poor fit in the first place.

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I'm sorry but if someone buys a house or a car and then two hours later decides that they don't want it anymore, then I would say they made an ill-informed, impulsive purchase.

Two hours just simply isn't enough time to fully explore the features of an item, cell phones included.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Two hours just simply isn't enough time to fully explore the features of an item, cell phones included.
As I posted, 2 hours is not enough time to fully explore the features, I agree with your post up to that point. You can as a consumer see whether a product fits your needs in that time frame however. We're not talking rocket science, both the iPhone and S3 are sold to the consumer as easy to use powerful phones. If someone within two hours decides its a poor fit then he made the right decision.

Another point is, if android is so complex that it takes days or longer to figure out, doesn't that highlight a problem then? I mean lets take the inverse to the argument. If 2 hours is not enough time then how good is a phone that requires significant time ( days or longer) to figure out?

I've used android, I've owned android phones (nexus and droid x) and it offers a lot of customization and flexibility which took time to fully enjoy the power and intricacies but I saw early on that the features of android offered me a lot. It only took an hour of usage to see I made the right choice.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
The screen on the S3 is unusable in sunlight,

If you have autobrightness on, in my experience it does not allow the screen to reach full brightness even in direct sunlight. I downloaded a widget called "Widgetsoid" that has a button that allows me to change between auto and full brightness.
The default keyboard sucked,
So you never bothered to try others?

html email is awful on it because you can't zoom out and have to pan around the screen.
I agree
I feel like it takes me twice as long to do anything on it compared to my iPhone, but that could just be because I'm so accustomed to the iPhone.
Probably. Took me a while too.

The S3 is suppose to be so fast too, but in comparison my 4S goes to the home screen near instantly and switches apps instantly, there is a slight delay with the S3.
The S3 IS fast. Faster than my friend's iPhone 4. Faster than mine and my wife's 4s. Regarding the delay you are experiencing with the home button: Go to S-Voice settings and turn off double clicking home to access it. The delay is there because it is waiting to see if there is a second click.
There are many things to like about the S3, but for pure usability, which is what i've realized I really value, the iPhone wins hands down.
Disagree on this one.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Lets cut the OP some slack in that people can easily discern whether a product fits his needs after a few hours. Learning to use the phone to its fullest potential on the other hand requires more time and effort but why put that effort in if he's already aware that its a poor fit in the first place.

I agree. Truth be told, though, some people are more open to a different experience than others. Kind of like someone wanting to try a cigarette, but has no intention to keep on smoking.

At least the OP gave it a go.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Another point is, if android is so complex that it takes days or longer to figure out, doesn't that highlight a problem then? I mean lets take the inverse to the argument. If 2 hours is not enough time then how good is a phone that requires significant time ( days or longer) to figure out?

I think the current versions of Android and iOS take the same amount of time to "figure out" how to use. The part that takes longer is learning the details of each system and whether or not you can live with them.

That being said, there are some things that you just know you won't like after a short time. I had originally bought the HTC One X. I really like it with its great screen, unibody construction, notifications on the lock screen, etc. But the major killer for me was the overly aggressive memory management. I unlocked the phone to check a text, hit home, and it had to spend 5 seconds to reload the home screen. That for me was unacceptable.

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I think the current versions of Android and iOS take the same amount of time to "figure out" how to use. The part that takes longer is learning the details of each system and whether or not you can live with them.

That being said, there are some things that you just know you won't like after a short time. I had originally bought the HTC One X. I really like it with its great screen, unibody construction, notifications on the lock screen, etc. But the major killer for me was the overly aggressive memory management. I unlocked the phone to check a text, hit home, and it had to spend 5 seconds to reload the home screen. That for me was unacceptable.
Can you root the One X to get rid of HTC's GUI?

Elven

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
UK
I have spent a day with an older Samsung phone on Android, initially I disliked it, however I soon learned that Android requires the tweaker to make it "yours"

Apple avoids this with the set UI and then allows customisation with the App Store, and your wallpaper/icon layout.

Android gives you MUCH more in way of customisation, and this helped me become happy with it, however after much time I was happy to hand it back.

That said Android did suit the tweaker in me, and I think the S3 is an amazing phone, BUT it does require you sit down and spend an hour or so just tweaking the UI and adding widgets and customisations to suit your tastes.

Now Apple's iPhone comes pretty much setup, the style is already there and set your wallpaper and icon layout and your good to go with the shiny Apple.

It's a catch 22 dish of Marmite.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
OK, setting aside the specifics for just this second, I will confess I am a very hard core Mac Laptop Enthusiast / User / Advocate.

Since 1991 I have been advocating to those who ask, just how great Apple computers and OS X is. That's my truth.

If someone I suggest a Mac too, tells me they only gave it two hours before rejecting it, after spending a lifetime with PC's, I must say I don't think that's fair to the person who's interested in a Mac, nor is it fair to the platform.

If they reject a Mac after two hours, that reflects more on the person than it does on the platform.

Now while Macs are more complex that iPhones or iPads, it's still a bit more complex than some of the other products (cars etc) people have used as examples for comparison.

In a measly two hours ... one cannot tell if an Android, or Windows Phone 7, or any other smartphone is "a fit", for them. It simply cannot be done.

For those who may not know, Android is a totally different platform, and requires some knowledge to enjoy it's strengths. The same could be said for an iPhone if they've never used one before.

Who loses?

Not Apple, it's no secret they've already made massive amounts of profit... so who loses? The person that cast off the Mac, or iPhone, or Android, before learning enough of the basics to make a true comparison between that and the competitive product.

If this is hard for some to comprehend, perhaps a spiral binder and a pen would be better tools for them.

If someone tells me after a few weeks they didn't like Android, I respect that they gave both themselves and the platform a chance. They learned enough to know for a fact it wasn't their cup of tea.

Now that's an intelligent approach that I respect.

That's why I enjoy both Android and iOS. They are both excellent with their various strengths and weaknesses. No smartphone is perfect, I don't expect them to be.

Speaking only for myself I greatly PREFER Macs and iOS...

Yet I also get great enjoyment out of Windows 7, Samsung's Galaxy Series of Android powered smartphones and most everything else that relates to mobile computing and communication.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I'm kinda tired of all these redundant "I switched but now I'm back with xxx" device.

Seems like it's the same spiel over and over again. At this point why even create the thread unless you're the type of person that cares what others think. You're not gonna receive brownies points for being loyal to your oem of choice. And this goes for both sides (android/iOS). News flash, no one cares.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No android trial is complete without trying at least two different launchers. Seriously, you can change everything about your phone. To be honest, you need probably a week to get a serious try in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.