PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lion and backlit keyboard on 2011 Macbook Air

zen
Aug 2, 2012, 02:45 AM
I have an 11" 2011 Macbook Air (the first with the backlit keyboard), now running Mountain Lion.

The machine came with Snow Leopard installed, under which the automatic controls for the backlit keyboard worked perfectly.

With Lion, the automatic control stopped working, no matter how you tried to reset the power management unit (or whatever that trick is to reset the thing that looks after stuff like that).

With Mountain Lion, the automatic keyboard backlight is still not working.

Has anyone managed to get it to work? It's not just my machine, is it? I can still control the backlight with the keyboard buttons, and the "Adjust keyboard brightness in low light" is available in keyboard preferences (and is ticked).

Macman45
Aug 2, 2012, 02:55 AM
Mine is a late 2011 13" The auto adjust works perfectly...You seem to be saying that you re-set the SMC which usually fixes this, but just in case you didn't here it is step by step:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It can be fussy to hit the keys right....If the machine boots when you try it, you haven't got it...try it again until it does't boot, ensuring you follow the instructions above...Beyond that, I can't think of anything except a clean install...A pain for such a minor glitch.

zen
Aug 2, 2012, 03:15 AM
Well, what do you know... did another reset, and all is well. Thanks!

Macman45
Aug 2, 2012, 03:38 AM
Well, what do you know... did another reset, and all is well. Thanks!

Like I said...That SMC reset can be fiddly, glad you're good to go.