PDA

View Full Version : Buying a MacBook Air tomorrow

timize
Aug 2, 2012, 02:26 PM
Just need to know some things first... I am thinking about going for the 13" 128GB MBA.

Standard is 4GB memory, right? So, if I buy it with 4GB and want to upgrade to 8GB at a later date, can I do that? Or would I have to opt for the 8GB at purchase?
What does the Apple Store mean by "Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz"?
How great is the MBA performance-wise in terms of Photoshop and basic gaming?
I've been reading about some displays on the MBA not looking so great. Is this a real big issue for any of you guys? And how does it fare in daylight (sunny) conditions?
I typically always buy Apple products at the Apple Store; however, I've been going back and forth between buying it at Best Buy as well. I know I can get the college discount at the Apple Store, but would I be saving more money buying it at Best Buy? Does the Apple Store price match?

Thanks for any help!

miles01110
Aug 2, 2012, 02:28 PM
1. No - RAM is not upgradeable.
2. http://gizmodo.com/5917500/what-is-intel-turbo-boost
3. It's fine.
4. It's generally fine.

stchman
Aug 2, 2012, 02:38 PM
Just need to know some things first... I am thinking about going for the 13" 128GB MBA.

Standard is 4GB memory, right? So, if I buy it with 4GB and want to upgrade to 8GB at a later date, can I do that? Or would I have to opt for the 8GB at purchase?
What does the Apple Store mean by "Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz"?
How great is the MBA performance-wise in terms of Photoshop and basic gaming?
I've been reading about some displays on the MBA not looking so great. Is this a real big issue for any of you guys? And how does it fare in daylight (sunny) conditions?
I typically always buy Apple products at the Apple Store; however, I've been going back and forth between buying it at Best Buy as well. I know I can get the college discount at the Apple Store, but would I be saving more money buying it at Best Buy? Does the Apple Store price match?

Thanks for any help!

1. No, the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, so if you want 8GB then get it now. Apple tells you the SSD is not upgradable, but it is.

2. The processor overclocks itself when it needs more processing power.

3. IDK, never used the MBA for Photoshop or gaming, my instinct tells me it will do just fine.

4. I think the MBA's 1440x900 is pretty good, there are better displays in the ultrabook style (ASUS Zenbook Prime), but the display is pretty good.

5. I've found that Amazon sells Apple accessories for less than the Apple store does. Also try ebay. I think the Apple Store is too full of themselves to price match, the privilege of buying from the Apple Store is all you need.

Atemporal
Aug 2, 2012, 02:40 PM
Since the first four were answered already, I'll answer 5:

I'm not entirely sure on Apple's price match policy, but I believe the store needs to have an identical configuration in stock that's lower than Apple's price in the online store.

As for college discount, YMMV, but when I went, the sales rep told me that Best Buy was offering the current promotional discount, but if you are a student, they have additional coupons that knock off a further 10% or so. The flip side to that coin is that you don't get the iTunes gift card.

Also, do note that with tax free holiday starting tomorrow in certain states, it might be a better idea to get the MBA from Best Buy, since you can get Best Buy reward points for it. Better than nothing if you're getting a config that Best Buy has in stock, and you won't pay tax either.

nizz
Aug 2, 2012, 02:51 PM
#5) I think it is a ymmv situation. You get the discount + gift card at apple store. Best buy will most likely match your discount but may or may not match the gift card. Go and ask.

I prefer buying from best buy. With my rewardzone credit card, I get points and a 60 day return window. They are incredibly lenient on returns and there is no restocking fee.

aristobrat
Aug 2, 2012, 02:54 PM
When I worked for Apple Retail, we did price match. It's been a year or two, so not sure if they dropped it.

http://consumerist.com/2008/11/apple-stores-will-now-price-match-authorized-retailers.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/11/25/apples_unadvertised_retail_store_price_matching_policy.html

Aniseedvan
Aug 2, 2012, 05:19 PM
There's several other threads but those of us with LG displays seem to be better off with mountain lion, so it should less of a worry to you.

usmaak
Aug 2, 2012, 05:40 PM
My Apple store told me just this past Sunday that they would price match Best Buy.

I prefer to buy from Best Buy for the same reasons, though I only have a 45 day return window. It came in handy when I had problems with various new iPads a few months ago. But unfortunately BB only sells the base models. If I were going to get an rMBP, I'd probably go with the stock model with 8GB. But I wanted 8GB for the Air, so I ordered it from apple.com.

Purple2012
Aug 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
Never had a display issue and I've never used my MBA outside.

I got mine from Best Buy. You can use the student discount coupon there, and they were on sale when I was there a couple weeks ago. You could combine savings. I like Best Buys plan better.

timize
Aug 2, 2012, 06:49 PM
My Apple store told me just this past Sunday that they would price match Best Buy.

I prefer to buy from Best Buy for the same reasons, though I only have a 45 day return window. It came in handy when I had problems with various new iPads a few months ago. But unfortunately BB only sells the base models. If I were going to get an rMBP, I'd probably go with the stock model with 8GB. But I wanted 8GB for the Air, so I ordered it from apple.com.
I just called up my local Apple Store and the rep told me he had to check with his manager. Afterward, he informed me that they do price match, but the discounted price must be from a brick-and-mortar store and you must show proof either with a flyer or by showing them online (and also proving that the discounted price is not an online-only deal).

Thanks for all the replies! :)

BigB82
Aug 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
everyone keeps talking about the discount at BB isnt it only $75 and the student discount is a 100 right? do they all give you the apple itunes card at bb?

tsboy69
Aug 3, 2012, 12:36 AM
everyone keeps talking about the discount at BB isnt it only $75 and the student discount is a 100 right? do they all give you the apple itunes card at bb?

Check out the thread regarding Best Buy and their discounts being a bit more than Amazon and the Apple store

Uguubot
Aug 3, 2012, 12:48 AM

I got offered $150 off, not a student. From Best Buy.

timize
Aug 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
I got offered $150 off, not a student. From Best Buy.
But that was just off of base model, right?