PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 7 "handle"

01jamcon
Aug 2, 2012, 03:57 PM
I've seen enough 'discussion' threads about the Nexus 7 on here already that haven't been particularly positive, so I thought I'd offer a small mod that I'm sure other people have thought of before but I've just got round to doing now.

Due to the skinny edges of the Nexus 7, I had some slight difficulty holding it completely steady while reading in portrait mode and wanted to add a handle akin to those made for the iPad. However, none are commercially produced yet, so I thought what can make this simpler.

So I took an old suction holder from a satnav device and it works amazingly both as a grip (between your fingers) and as a stand, all without leaving any marks and it can be added and removed in seconds.

If you want to use this solution as well, beware that you'll need quite a strong suction cup due to the textured plastic back on a Nexus, and this solution will actually work much better on the slick aluminium of an iPad.

I've attached pics so you get the idea.

Dr McKay
Aug 2, 2012, 04:03 PM
I literally just placed an order for one minutes ago, does it feel too small? I used to have an iPad and that has been my only experience using a tablet.

This'll be my first Android device so im looking forward to tinkering. Android users, will all the stuff work for it? Or will I have to buy tablet stuff? I mean it has the same resolution as many Android phones now.

01jamcon
Aug 2, 2012, 05:38 PM
I literally just placed an order for one minutes ago, does it feel too small? I used to have an iPad and that has been my only experience using a tablet.

This'll be my first Android device so im looking forward to tinkering. Android users, will all the stuff work for it? Or will I have to buy tablet stuff? I mean it has the same resolution as many Android phones now.

No, for me it is literally the perfect size for my uses: mainly reading, web browsing and watching short videos (Youtube).

I wouldn't use it to watch longer video unless I really had to. In terms of apps, the selection is quite comparable to iOS although some still are lacking a proper tablet version (e.g. Twitter), however with time and due to the popularity of the Nexus 7, I'm sure they'll be on board pretty soon. I think most apps on Android will scale up to the resolution fine without needing to buy specific tablet versions.