PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple Release a Cheaper Air?

SteelBlueTJ
Aug 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
I remember hearing a few months ago that Apple may lower the price of the entry level Air from $999 to $799 in the Q3 to compete with the increasing ultrabooks. Anyone heard anything of this lately? Do you think it will happen?

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/computing/apple/apple-to-launch-lower-priced-macbook-air-later-this-year-1079242

wickerman1893
Aug 2, 2012, 05:55 PM
Doubt it with the updates just 2 months ago. Apple usually doesn't "randomly" drop their price that out of sync with regular schedule.

Seamaster
Aug 2, 2012, 06:08 PM
They just knocked $100 off several variants of the Air last month. It'll be a while before they do so again.

Isira
Aug 2, 2012, 06:12 PM
No, considering that most of the competing Ultrabooks are inferior to the Air, with the exception of perhaps the Asus Zenbook and Samsung Series 9 which are about the same price or even more expensive than the Air.

Anoxy
Aug 2, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'd rather not start an entirely new thread, so would buying a fully loaded 2012 MBA for school this fall be a smart move, or do you think Apple will release an updated retina display equipped version soon?

TheRealDamager
Aug 2, 2012, 07:13 PM
I'd expect a 13" rMBP in the not too distant future, but I doubt we'll see a retina Air that quickly - maybe next year.

iAppl3Fan
Aug 2, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wishful thinking from you and me both...lol

Carl Sagan
Aug 2, 2012, 07:19 PM
No. That'd cut into the top end of iPad sales too much.

rick3000
Aug 2, 2012, 07:28 PM
No, Apple has never had a laptop below $900. People are willing to pay for the quality, Mac's tend to last longer than PC's. Apple is a business and they do not care about the low end because the profit margin is too small.

Apple has said time and again they will not sell inferior products just to get a lower price point. Why diminish your reputation and cut into a high margin product like the iPad?

Nova Sensei
Aug 2, 2012, 10:31 PM
No, Apple has never had a laptop below $900. People are willing to pay for the quality, Mac's tend to last longer than PC's. Apple is a business and they do not care about the low end because the profit margin is too small.

Apple has said time and again they will not sell inferior products just to get a lower price point. Why diminish your reputation and cut into a high margin product like the iPad?

Perfect summary.