Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMFB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
I am brand new to Macs. I just bought a Mac Mini (I think it came with Lion installed), and the first thing I did when I got home was to connect it to my big HDTV. It displayed fine, but it told me that Setup Assistant wouldn't work with the current monitor. So I played around a bit, and then decided that I would like to run Setup Assistant, since I don't really know what I missed. I hooked it up to a regular monitor, but Setup Assistant didn't run because I guess I had missed my chance. So I did some research and took the steps listed at http://www.techkaki.com/2011/07/how-to-re-run-mac-os-x-registration-screen

The steps are:
Start in single-user mode (command+s)
mount -uw
rm -rf /Library/Preferences/
rm -rf /users/username
rm /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/username.plist
rm -rf /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Since I had never created an account with a username, the username that showed up when I looked to see what my username is was Administrator. So I replaced all the "username"s above with "Administrator." I wonder if this is the root of my problem.

So now, when I start it up, Setup Assistant starts, but in between each screen, there is a about a minute of the spinning wheel, until it reaches the "Select your keyboard" screen. After I click the Continue arrow, the spinning wheel spins, then the Continue arrow becomes greyed out and the cursor returns to normal, and then spinning wheel appears, and never goes away.

Could this be because of my deleting the Administrator account, or is something else going on here?

Thanks in advance for your help, I just want to get a chance to play with my new Mac!

DMFB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Solved

Solved by entering recovery mode (Command+R at startup).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.