PDA

View Full Version : $50 iBook sales limited to Henrico County citizens; sale dat...

MacBytes
Aug 3, 2005, 02:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Deals and Coupons
Link: $50 iBook sales limited to Henrico County citizens; sale date moved (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050803151659)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by arn

Gizmotoy
Aug 3, 2005, 02:21 PM
This is not surprising, really, given the media attention it received. If my taxes had paid for the laptops, I'd be a little upset that people from neighboring states were coming to cash in on a great deal that I financed. Although, I'd also be mad they were selling valuable laptops for $50, so maybe I'm not the person to ask. :rolleyes:

RHutch
Aug 3, 2005, 02:44 PM
OK, but how many times are they going to change the sale date? I read stories of people planning to fly from Germany or California to get one of the laptops. I don't think it would be worth it after you consider the cost to get there and back and the time spent, but the indecision in VA is messing with some people's lives. I'm not going, never planned to. And I think that this is really the fairest thing to do, but they should have realized that from the start. Just further evidence of what senseless people these must be running the show in Henrico County. Maybe if they had Macs when they were in school, they would be better able to handle this situation.

Lancetx
Aug 3, 2005, 03:32 PM
Just further evidence of what senseless people these must be running the show in Henrico County. Maybe if they had Macs when they were in school, they would be better able to handle this situation.

Amen to that. The entire school board there should be canned immediately for their total incompetence.

grapes911
Aug 3, 2005, 03:35 PM
While I agree with their decision, they should have done this from the start. I'm a little peeved because there were 8 of use packing into a van to make the trip. :(

michaelrjohnson
Aug 3, 2005, 03:44 PM
I think this is a wise move, and am glad they finally came to this decision.

Is there a limit on per person purchases? If not, I bet any MR members from Henrico County will soon be innundated with requests to pick one up on their behalf.

(I'm one of those people, so if you're out there, I'll pay you extra to get me one and ship it. :) )

nagromme
Aug 3, 2005, 04:58 PM
Apple goes Intel, and G3s are being sold out of car trunks by scalpers! Truly an exciting year for Mac watchers :)

fixyourthinking
Aug 3, 2005, 06:20 PM
I would realy like to see the serial number range of these iBooks posted online. It would be interesting to see how many of the "residents" getting an iBook are actually just gaining power seller status next month on eBay!

The whole "redecision" oozes "insider" at the school district.

Honestly, I think it should be limited to one per household. A family of four could rake in $2000 (street value) from a $200 investment.

And people saying this sale should be exclusive to Henrico residents because of tax - you're fooling yourself - ALL public education is partially funded by national funds and grants. And if it's not at a particular school district - it just means funds were shifted from somewhere else.

And Henrico County ... you have NO TOURISTS? If I visited from South Carolina ... I pay your "taxes" too!

dornoforpyros
Aug 3, 2005, 06:28 PM
yeah this is the right decision but calling them incompetant is a bit heavy. I mean their essentially clearing out old gear. If they were selling old desk for $5 a pop no one would care. I'm sure they clear out old stuff all the time and this one time it kinda blew up in their faces but how were they to know?

autrefois
Aug 3, 2005, 07:13 PM
Several area residents who spoke at today's meeting asked the Board to consider making special provisions at the sale for current high school students, teachers and low-income residents.

But County Manager Virgil Hazelett told the Board that it would become tedious and unfair to make special provisions for a variety of people.

"I simply don't believe that we could do that," he said.

If they don't want to be making special provisions for people, how's come

Another 1,147 will be sold to recent high school graduates for $50 apiece.

If they are specially selling 1,147 iBooks to recent high school grads but not allowing current students or teachers a similar opportunity to purchase them, is that not unfair?

I realize that no one could have expected this would make worlwide news, but even considering that details like this show that the whole thing was apparently just not very well thought-out. Not surprising from a district that decided to dump Apple for Dell. :p

iKwick7
Aug 3, 2005, 07:20 PM
I smell something fishy. I def. see a ton of people that are associated with the system, in some way, buying a few each and then selling them. Garbage. Watch the iBook G3 sales on ebay go up HUGE in a couple weeks.

otter-boy
Aug 3, 2005, 08:14 PM
How much do you want to bet that Henrico will be sued by someone who had already bought a plane ticket and/or taken time off from work to be there for the sale.

Yeah, I think the school district screwed up. They should have auctioned off the laptops to get more money back from the sale or set up a system from the start that would have sold the laptops to Henrico residents only, or at least first.

jayeskreezy
Aug 3, 2005, 10:39 PM
It doesnt surprise me and it doesnt make me want to visit richmond either. If there isnt still a one per person limit Henrico Co. residents are going to be making a LOT of money through ebay that's for sure. It kind of upsets me though because all they did was complain about this, but I don't think they really care too much about the actual students because if any of those complaining have children or nieces or nephews in Henrico county public schools then they would obviously know that every child in that county has a laptop for most of the year. What it really sounds like is that they were upset that they were going to have competition and might not have the opportunity to get a few laptops to rake in some $$$ on ebay. :rolleyes:

mkaake
Aug 4, 2005, 08:28 AM
wow, so many whiners.

I mean really. that's a lot of whining going on.

Move on with your lives, as they'll be pretty much like they were going to be 3 weeks ago before you found out about this whole schebang anyway. Most of the whiners can afford an ibook anyways, but just want to get this 'great deal'.

And please, stop with the conspiracy theory crap. It's old. These people obviously don't know jack about macs, given that they didn't expect this to become an issue in the first place, and the fact that they're switching to dells. And guess what? 500 mhz p3 laptops can be had for about 60 or 70 bucks on ebay, putting these right about where windows using IT folks would expect a laptop of that age to be worth. If you still think it's a conspiracy, you've obviously never worked in a bureaucracy of any sort, otherwise you'd prolly see that the decision was made by some high-up IT guy who doesn't know the resale value of macs, and frankly doesn't care, because he knows what a windows laptop would sell for, and darnit! a mac can't be worth any more than that...

sigamy
Aug 4, 2005, 09:20 AM
And people saying this sale should be exclusive to Henrico residents because of tax - you're fooling yourself - ALL public education is partially funded by national funds and grants. And if it's not at a particular school district - it just means funds were shifted from somewhere else.

And Henrico County ... you have NO TOURISTS? If I visited from South Carolina ... I pay your "taxes" too!

What in the world are you talking about? Sales tax? I guess you don't own a home yet. The vast majority of K-12 education funding comes from local PROPERTY taxes. That is, the taxes that home owners pay just for the priviledge of owning a home in that school district. Even if you don't have kids or if your kids don't attend the public school you still pay property taxes, of which typically 60% go to fund the public school system.

larriveejp
Aug 4, 2005, 09:43 AM
And please, stop with the conspiracy theory crap. It's old. These people obviously don't know jack about macs, given that they didn't expect this to become an issue in the first place, and the fact that they're switching to dells.

Even if they didn't know before, they certainly do now. This fact only increases the likelihood that someone inside Henrico county is angling to make a little cash on the side through this deal. Again, unless they are neck deep in cash at Henrico County ISD, there is no reason to throw away good money like this.

I had no intention of ever driving up there, so I don't really care outside the train wreck nature of this story. I do find it fascintating that people seem to think it's impossible that *GULP* a Government official - even at the School Board level - might abuse their power.

BTW - Check Google for stroies about the Wilmer-Hutchins School District in Texas. Their school board "misplaced" close to a million dollars and brought about an early end to the district itself. The thought of some low-level politician trying to make money off some old iBooks is hardly outside the realm of possibility.

kalisphoenix
Aug 4, 2005, 10:04 AM
Well, since my chances of scoring a Henrico county resident are slim to none, I'll just have to be happy when eBay is flooded with inexpensive iBooks. Mine is great and I'm hoping to buy one for my mother.

I believe the Yikes!/Sawtooth flood is coming this year, and I'm really excited about getting me a mmm yum sawtooth.

gwuMACaddict
Aug 4, 2005, 10:10 AM
local governments never have any idea whats going on... this is dissapointing, but not surprising...

libertea
Aug 5, 2005, 01:13 AM
Anyone who is angry about Henrico flip flopping like fish out of water should boycott all Henrico establishments. Anyone who has damages from Henrico's false advertising can sue them, they may lose, but it will be fourty dollars well spent.