PDA

View Full Version : Wifi downstream issues with MBA (4 hours troubleshooting)

crimson090
Aug 3, 2012, 08:43 AM
Problem: Getting < 10 Mbps downstream via Speedtest.net with Bluetooth enabled, < 15 Mbps with Bluetooth disabled. Upstream is actually faster consistently, a bit over 10 Mbps.

It's very inconsistent. In the past few hours I've testing I topped 20 Mbps, once. Then just the past few minutes I got 1.5 Mbps (with Bluetooth disabled).

Causes Eliminated:

ISP. PC connected via ethernet gets 70 Mbps
Router. Replaced a Buffalo router running DD-WRT with a Asus router running Tomato.
Wifi: iPhone on the same network gets over 20 Mbps (if it's in range of a MBA with Bluetooth on however, that speed is greatly reduced)
Computer: My wife has a Macbook Air that has the exact same issue
Outdated OS: We're both on Mountain Lion but had this issue on Lion as well
General Wifi issues: My link speed in the menu shows 72 and the Network Utility link speed shows 144 Mbit/s

Fixes Attempted:

As mentioned above, disabling Bluetooth increases the speed by ~5 Mbps. Unfortunately this makes all of our Bluetooth keyboards and mice useless. However if I was able to disable Bluetooth and get > 15 Mbps I'd be at least a bit happier
Went to Network -> Set Service Order and put Wi-Fi above Bluetooth. This actually increased speeds from 1 Mbps (lol) to 10.
Plugged in manual Google DNS
Replaced wireless router (mentioned above)
Changed wireless channel several times
Forced N only mode
Disabled wireless security
Moved around to different locations including right next to the router

stockscalper
Aug 3, 2012, 09:39 AM
Wish I could help you. I've had the same problem ever since I got my MBA and after trying everything I could research and getting the internet provider involved, I finally gave up.

fanta
Aug 3, 2012, 12:36 PM
since BT and Wifi share the same frequency (2,4ghz) in some cases the solution might just be to switch wifi to 5ghz with another router. been having the same problems and ended up getting an airport extreme. MBA uses 5ghz and has no intereferences with BT...