Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone parts company ETrade Supply posts a detailed comparison [via iPhoneinCanada.ca] of the front panels of the iPhone 4S and what has been claimed to be the next-generation "iPhone 5". As with numerous other leaks, the new front panel shows a taller display and the FaceTime camera being moved to above the earpiece.

The blog post contains a number of images and a nearly 7-minute video comparing the two parts, showing that not only is the new part taller than the corresponding iPhone 4S part but it is also 0.1 mm thinner and offers more light transmittance and more scratch resistance than its counterpart.

ETrade Supply has also taken a close look at the home button region of the front panel, showing that the hole for the home button is 0.3 mm smaller in diameter than the hole on the iPhone 4S, while the margin between the bottom of the panel and the bottom of the display area is 2.6 mm shorter, allowing Apple to significantly increase the size of the iPhone's display while only slightly increasing the overall device height.

iphone_5_4s_home_button_holes.jpg

Comparison of iPhone 4S (left) and "iPhone 5" (right) home button hole diameters

iphone_5_home_button_area_height.jpg

This is not the first time the alleged next-generation iPhone front panel has been caught on video, but this new video and photo comparison does offer the most detailed comparison between the part and the corresponding iPhone 4S part we have seen yet.

Article Link: Detailed Photo and Video Comparison of iPhone 4S and 'iPhone 5' Front Panels

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
is Apple really going with the same form / case design?
I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what about innovation and progress... lets move forward with something different:p

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You mean "The new iPhone" or "iPhone 6". The 5th one came out last year.

I used to say this too, but iPhone 5 would actually make sense. To the consumer 4S is like 4.5, making 5 the next version. No one really knows that the iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone besides tech geeks.

But it'll be "the new iPhone"

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Darn. Was hoping for more of a redesign on the next phone but the more leaks I see, the less likely it looks.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
is Apple really going with the same form / case design?
I know if it ain't broke don't fix it, but what about innovation and progress... lets move forward with something different:p

How many different ways are there to do a rectangular design. The current design is more than sufficient. Now it seems there will be some other material choices. These constant "change for the sake of change" is ridiculous.

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
You mean "The new iPhone" or "iPhone 6". The 5th one came out last year.

Here we go again, you find one of these guys in EVERY SINGLE post that's related to iPhone. Want to give it a rest? Or do you pride yourself in knowing this piece of information?

Last edited:

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
I shall call it whatever annoys OCD-ish people the most... so iPhone 5, it is! ;)

I should also get an "iTouch"!

It just seems an apple news site wouldn't want to perpetuate idiotic nomenclature.
There is no iPhone 5 and the writers for this site should know that better than most

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
I used to say this too, but iPhone 5 would actually make sense. To the consumer 4S is like 4.5, making 5 the next version. No one really knows that the iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone besides tech geeks.

But it'll be "the new iPhone"

I hate the name iPhone 5 because I'm so critical about product numbering. So many people I know call it that and it drives me crazy. Oh well...I'm still trying to decide if I will switch to the iPhone 6 or stay with my Lumia 900:D

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Darn. Was hoping for more of a redesign on the next phone but the more leaks I see, the less likely it looks.

Thats exactly why Apple is purposely leaking these designs and they are fakes. To get people off their scent and then they will unveil a totally new iPhone...

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
This guys dimensional analysis using the micrometer was great!

However, his scratch test was awful!

Too funny!

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
I just can't believe they didn't go for something like this...

Now this is a screen size that I think is a perfect solution, not too big not too small, even just a hair smaller like 4.3" would be alright but not this stretched out garbage were getting.

iPhone-4S-vs-HTC-One-X.jpg

Last edited:

nastymrx

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
This website now start me puking!!
Every F%&/(O day there is some speculations on this $%&/() iThings

From today you have lost a user, *****ite!!!

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Thats exactly why Apple is purposely leaking these designs and they are fakes. To get people off their scent and then they will unveil a totally new iPhone...

I really hope that's the case, I know I'm getting the next iPhone for sure, since I'm signing a new contract. But, it'd be nice if they have new redesign in form factor.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Thumbs up for the scratch test at 5:25.

iPhone 5 glass lens: "Totally no scratches"
iPhone 4S glass lens: "Full of scratches!"

Edit: Also, this makes me wonder why the finger condoms were necessary!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.