Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
I got my wife the 13" Air for our anniversary, with the upcoming WoW expansion in a couple of months she is now considering going back to the game. Is anyone running it currently on the 13" air? if so what is the performance like at 1440x900? Also if anyone has tried the beta of the expansion any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I ask is that the game is a huge download these days and would take about to day to fully install and patch and I don't want to go through that on her macbook if I don't have to!

Thanks!

Climateboy

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
WoW is a flexible game

WoW is designed to work well across a range of computers and graphics capabilities. It will work just fine--I bet, in fact, that it looks great.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
I got my wife the 13" Air for our anniversary, with the upcoming WoW expansion in a couple of months she is now considering going back to the game. Is anyone running it currently on the 13" air? if so what is the performance like at 1440x900? Also if anyone has tried the beta of the expansion any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I ask is that the game is a huge download these days and would take about to day to fully install and patch and I don't want to go through that on her macbook if I don't have to!

Thanks!
It'll be fine, download away

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I play WoW on an 11" 2011 MBA running ML. As long as you don't mind running at lower display settings, it runs great. I also set the game to max the frame rate out at 30, since higher FRs are more demanding and would increase the temperature. I also use a cooling pad to keep the temperatures down.

Also, get an external 2 button mouse. Unless you can play with the track pad, I know I can't.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
It will work fine on the Air. Also, what I do with my WoW installation is copy it over to a network drive every couple of weeks. This way I can install it on another computer or restore it without downloading and patching.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
cheers folks i'll get it installed then, I have actually mastered the art of playing the game with a touchpad, it took a good number of year though and lots and lots of keybinding!

SpoekGTi

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2012
The Netherlands
It runs smooth here on the i5 / 8gb 2012 model at native resolution. I did turn down all the details but that was more to unload the GPU for turning up the heat thus rendering me with a Jumbo Jet fan while playing wow. It now runs smooth looks acceptable and my notebook stays quiet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.