PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air high-end or Macbook Pro retina low-end

FatGuy007
Aug 3, 2012, 12:22 PM
Hi all,
I am planning soon to buy a mac by sunday or monday, I am posting this in MBA forums because, well, the MBA is already in my Apple store cart. I am switching from a 2010 Macbook Pro which is incredibly slow (erased and reinstalled everything 5 times).
The problem is that maybe the Macbook pro is too wide and probably some applications will look crappy on it. I am having second thoughts since the education loan is 200$, and the MBA is 50$, which seems pretty unfair.
I want to keep my laptop for at least 4 years, fast, not outdated, and, again, fast. I don't have enough money for the high end mbp but i do with MBA. the MBP has better everything, while MBA has portability and fast enough speed with the ssd.
The problem is that I was sick of my MBP and I don't really want a wide laptop. but gosh are both of them sexy. and the MBP and the MBP retina look similar except thinner and lighter.
Oh and I will use it for work(office) , light games and demanding games if the comp can run it (fifa 12, mine craft etc), small video editing (final cut and adobe), and some photo editing (aperture)
Please nobody say the 13in MBP retina cause we dont even know if it was announced yet, and i already sold my macbook pro.

wolfpuppies3
Aug 3, 2012, 01:51 PM
and bought a MB Air, 13", loaded for $2108 with Applecare. The Stripper MBR 15" is $2199 with only 256 GB SSD. My Air has 512 GB SSD. The new MB Air is fully eight times faster than my 2010 MB Pro.

Whatever floats your boat.

FatGuy007
Aug 3, 2012, 02:50 PM
and bought a MB Air, 13", loaded for $2108 with Applecare. The Stripper MBR 15" is $2199 with only 256 GB SSD. My Air has 512 GB SSD. The new MB Air is fully eight times faster than my 2010 MB Pro.

Whatever floats your boat.

You really bought 512? an extra 500$, you could probably just save the money and buy a hard drive.
I guess the MB Air, i think its just right for me.
with all the accesories, hard drive, thunderbolt, ethernet, macbook air, its a total or 2,228$ and thats just without tax.

WindWaker
Aug 3, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hi all,
I am planning soon to buy a mac by sunday or monday, I am posting this in MBA forums because, well, the MBA is already in my Apple store cart. I am switching from a 2010 Macbook Pro which is incredibly slow (erased and reinstalled everything 5 times).
The problem is that maybe the Macbook pro is too wide and probably some applications will look crappy on it. I am having second thoughts since the education loan is 200$, and the MBA is 50$, which seems pretty unfair.
I want to keep my laptop for at least 4 years, fast, not outdated, and, again, fast. I don't have enough money for the high end mbp but i do with MBA. the MBP has better everything, while MBA has portability and fast enough speed with the ssd.
The problem is that I was sick of my MBP and I don't really want a wide laptop. but gosh are both of them sexy. and the MBP and the MBP retina look similar except thinner and lighter.
Oh and I will use it for work(office) , light games and demanding games if the comp can run it (fifa 12, mine craft etc), small video editing (final cut and adobe), and some photo editing (aperture)
Please nobody say the 13in MBP retina cause we dont even know if it was announced yet, and i already sold my macbook pro.

I was in your position 100% exactly. I also had a 2010 MBP and it was very slow, and I was considering the same computers.

I'd go with the Retina MacBook Pro for a couple of reasons:

1) Video editing isn't as good on the Air. I actually got a mid-2012 Air for a while, as I thought that was the computer I wanted, but it just didn't do well on video editing. That said, it wasn't an 8GB RAM model. Nonetheless, the rMBP will no doubt be far better with FCPX and AP than the Air.
2) rMBP has a dedicated graphics card-- I don't believe the Air does. Regardless, the rMBP will be substantially better for gaming (like Minecraft).
3) Processor: The QCP in the rMBP will be faster than the Air's DCP
4) Retina display: Yeah, I know this doesn't directly pertain to your direct needs, but hey-- it'll give your eyes a bit of an easier time :D

The Air has a lot of pro's too, but the major factor going into this will be your personal preference. They're both fantastic computers, and you really can't go wrong with either of them at the end of the day.

FatGuy007
Aug 3, 2012, 04:40 PM
I was in your position 100% exactly. I also had a 2010 MBP and it was very slow, and I was considering the same computers.

I'd go with the Retina MacBook Pro for a couple of reasons:

1) Video editing isn't as good on the Air. I actually got a mid-2012 Air for a while, as I thought that was the computer I wanted, but it just didn't do well on video editing. That said, it wasn't an 8GB RAM model. Nonetheless, the rMBP will no doubt be far better with FCPX and AP than the Air.
2) rMBP has a dedicated graphics card-- I don't believe the Air does. Regardless, the rMBP will be substantially better for gaming (like Minecraft).
3) Processor: The QCP in the rMBP will be faster than the Air's DCP
4) Retina display: Yeah, I know this doesn't directly pertain to your direct needs, but hey-- it'll give your eyes a bit of an easier time :D

The Air has a lot of pro's too, but the major factor going into this will be your personal preference. They're both fantastic computers, and you really can't go wrong with either of them at the end of the day.

Very helpful, I am glad to know i am not the only person.
to answer your answers:
1: I said light footage, like maybe some family videos, but not hours and hours of raw footage.
2: Minecraft isn't really a demanding game :p
3: You are right on that but remeber is has 8gb ram and an ssd.
4:Yes it does (:
You can return your macbook air at the same price?
and DAM U! you second thoughted me again :(

and remember i have a limited amount of money, and i really dont feel like having the lowest end, since i want a laptop to last long.

FatGuy007
Aug 3, 2012, 04:52 PM
And i am on the line here.
I was just bout to checkout my MBA
thannnnn my mind said
what about the retina dispaly, QCP, dedicated graphics card.

But i want portability and speed ):
Also i think the MBP is just too wide for me.
I regulary use my laptop for safari, mail, office, iwork, itunes, and light games.
so i dunno if i am crazy, the MBPr seems only for video and photogarphy users or proffesionals.

tooobe
Aug 3, 2012, 04:57 PM
Why not just get an SSD for your current MacBook Pro? It's a really capable laptop still and can't believe it could be THAT slow? Maybe the hard drive in it is dying and that's why it's so slow? And throw in some more memory while you're at it.

That's what I would do for sure, just my 2 cents. (I have a 2010 MacBook air btw)

edit: oh I see now that you already sold your MB Pro, nevermind me :)

scupking
Aug 3, 2012, 05:41 PM
I would say put an SSD in your MBP. I have a 13" 2010 MBP and I can't see how anything newer can be any faster at what I use it for. Its even faster after putting ML on it.

jamesr19
Aug 3, 2012, 06:15 PM
I love my MBA. Got the 2011 13" i7. It handles all of my needs fairly well and I'll often have photoshop, AI and fireworks open whilst also working in Xcode and it runs a dream. Yes, my desktop is faster but I often prefer using the MBA

MBA is perfect for traveling! I got tempted by the rMBP because of the adjustable screen res. I then went on a 4hr train journey and had to sit with the laptop on my lap for 2 of them and realised the 13" MBA was perfect. It's also half the weight

A killer feature of the rMBP is ability to add more than 1 external non-thunderbolt display. So if you want to use two+ external monitors go for rMBP

Whichever you buy, you will want a new one within 4 years...

FatGuy007
Aug 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
I love my MBA. Got the 2011 13" i7. It handles all of my needs fairly well and I'll often have photoshop, AI and fireworks open whilst also working in Xcode and it runs a dream. Yes, my desktop is faster but I often prefer using the MBA

MBA is perfect for traveling! I got tempted by the rMBP because of the adjustable screen res. I then went on a 4hr train journey and had to sit with the laptop on my lap for 2 of them and realised the 13" MBA was perfect. It's also half the weight

A killer feature of the rMBP is ability to add more than 1 external non-thunderbolt display. So if you want to use two+ external monitors go for rMBP

Whichever you buy, you will want a new one within 4 years...

Thanks,
my final decision is the MBA, simply because its design, size, and perfect speed. I have only one monitor, and i barley use it.

may I ask how much video memory it has? I heard its 512mb but im not sure.

The best part of getting a new mac, is the anticipation when you open the box.
And what sucks about technology is that is going way too fast, get a slim new fast computer, their is a better one less than 6 months. and I hope i wont keep doing that. Thats apple's marketing strategy :rolleyes:

----------

Why not just get an SSD for your current MacBook Pro? It's a really capable laptop still and can't believe it could be THAT slow? Maybe the hard drive in it is dying and that's why it's so slow? And throw in some more memory while you're at it.

That's what I would do for sure, just my 2 cents. (I have a 2010 MacBook air btw)

edit: oh I see now that you already sold your MB Pro, nevermind me :)

THANK YOU
for reading and paying attention :)

wolfpuppies3
Aug 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
You really bought 512? an extra 500$, you could probably just save the money and buy a hard drive.
I guess the MB Air, i think its just right for me.
with all the accesories, hard drive, thunderbolt, ethernet, macbook air, its a total or 2,228$ and thats just without tax.

And I have a number of 1 TB USB 3 external drives to go with it. Photographers use space and love speed.

FatGuy007
Aug 13, 2012, 03:08 PM
And I have a number of 1 TB USB 3 external drives to go with it. Photographers use space and love speed.

Ey, you revived the thread. Glad you did cause I actually got the MBPr instead of the MBA if somebodies wondering. But I really hate dragging wires everywhere so that's why I bump up storage.

jfrancis04
Aug 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Ey, you revived the thread. Glad you did cause I actually got the MBPr instead of the MBA if somebodies wondering. But I really hate dragging wires everywhere so that's why I bump up storage.
No way! How are you liking your decision? I just ordered a 13" MBA last night. Already second-guessing it...lol.