Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
For travelling purposes ( internet, email, itunes ) is the Macbook Air 2011 11" 2Gb 64GB ssd a better choice than buying iPad 3 64gb wifi ? Futureshop canada has macbook air on sale for $799 canadian.... Will 2Gb system ram be enough for just using internet, email, iTunes , you tube etc?

Not for use as main computer but for when travelling. I prefer keyboard built into Macbook Air over touch keyboard on iPad 3

checked system profile and found it has toshiba ssd and LG display

is it worthwhile to get mountain lion for this Macbook Air?

I felt this is better choice than adding keyboard, apple iPad camera connection kit to iPad 3

besides less battery life than iPad is there any dis-advantages to this Macbook Air 11" compared to current iPad 3?

Dan

Last edited:

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Honestly, Macbook Air.
It has a keyboard and trackpad that you can do all those things all at once. The youtube app is absolutley horrible on the iPad (no video buffers).
I have an iPad and Macbook Air (13) and I would choose Macbook Air in a blink. pricewise, if you choose the 399$ version for just those things and no giant apps, just save a few hundred dollars and buy the iPad.
And you really dont want to drag a keyboard everywhere the ipad goes.

Last edited:

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
For travelling purposes ( internet, email, itunes ) is the Macbook Air 2011 11" 2Gb 64GB ssd a better choice than buying iPad 64gb wifi ? Futureshop canada has macbook air on sale for $799 canadian.... Will 2Gb system ram be enough for just using internet, email, iTunes , you tube etc?

Not for use as main computer but for when travelling. I prefer keyboard built into Macbook Air over touch keyboard on iPad

checked system profile and found it has toshiba ssd and LG display

is it worthwhile to get mountain lion for this Macbook Air?

I felt this is better choice than adding keyboard, apple iPad camera connection kit to iPad

besides less battery life than iPad is there any dis-advantages to this Macbook Air 11" compared to current iPad ?

Dan

Which generation iPad is it? For very general purposes, 2GB of RAM should suit you okay, just don't expect to be watching a YouTube video, have 20 tabs open, and playing music all at the same time without any lag ;)

Honestly, though, I'd just get an iPad (provided it's a 3 or maybe 2) with a BTK for that purpose. I can understand why you'd want the Air though.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Do you plan on being mobile with it often? Do you value battery life more than anything else? Other than battery life the air offers much more flexibility for the things you want to do.

I would go with an air myself if I had to choose.

miatadan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Sudbury,ON , Canada
been using this Macbook Air for couple hours and so far very happy:) Using apple trackpad + my steel series 6G keyboard with it .

Not used to gestures on trackpad at all / new to that ...seems to do strange things at times.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
First question...what applications do you plan on using when mobile? If over 90% of what you'd be using would be just email, surfing, web, light word processing, I would go for an iPad.

Second question...how mobile do you plan to be? If you plan to be extremely mobile (on the go, checking stuff at airports, on trains, buses, etc.) I would go for an iPad. If you can easily do that stuff from a phone, and would rather sit down at a desk at a hotel, or in a plane seat, then the Air could be the way to go, esp. if you are doing more than just web surfing/email.

Don't forget you can also pick up a keyboard for the iPad, and use various folio set-ups to enhance typing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.