PDA

View Full Version : Apple Protection Care.. worth it? what does it do?

maxy123
Aug 3, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hi guys, as many might seen me posting my questions for my new 13" MBA 2012. I haven't purchased any Apple protection care. Do I need it? Today there is an offer to purchase the protection care.

What does the protection care does? what kind of repairs they offer? Can anyone tell me the examples? Since I'm new to Mac, I want to know before I purchase this one.

Note: Usually I'm maintain my electronics very well, so would I need this one?

Thanks

GGJstudios
Aug 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
AppleCare (http://www.apple.com/support/products/)
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display (http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html)

You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here (https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do)
AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A) and iPhone (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A), not for Apple computers.
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) (http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&tbs=qdr%3Ay&q=applecare+worth+site%3Aforums.macrumors.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=) it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

polotska
Aug 4, 2012, 06:53 PM
Before you decide either way, take a look at the steeply-discounted price of AppleCare from certain third-party resellers, such as B&H Photo Video.

stockscalper
Aug 5, 2012, 10:51 AM
The laptop's are made in China and not the highest quality, compared to Macs made years ago. Not to get off topic, but I've got Macs from the '80's that are still running while I typically have to replace the Chinese made crap every 3-4 years in my office.

You used to never hear of people using Macs having problems, but now it's very common. So, that's a good reason to look at AppleCare. The reason not to look at it is that Apple's folks are prone to accuse you of dipping whatever you send in for repair in water or dropping it to get out of making the repair. Personally, I've had good luck with them, but I've known plenty of others who have had their repairs denied because of the reasons I mentioned.

RedCroissant
Aug 5, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hi guys, as many might seen me posting my questions for my new 13" MBA 2012. I haven't purchased any Apple protection care. Do I need it? Today there is an offer to purchase the protection care.

What does the protection care does? what kind of repairs they offer? Can anyone tell me the examples? Since I'm new to Mac, I want to know before I purchase this one.

Thanks

I was wary of AppleCare as well when I bought my first Mac in 2009. When the HDD failed(Western Digital's fault), I qualified for a repair to be done in my home. The service tech came to my home and repaired everything and my computer was new again. He even cleaned out the computer and double checked all the connections to make sure everything was right. In my case, AppleCare was definitely worth it.

RebeccaL
Aug 5, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think is is worth it. I've never need it (knock on wood). It it is just worth it for me for the peace of mind.

GREEN4U
Aug 5, 2012, 12:38 PM
The laptop's are made in China and not the highest quality, compared to Macs made years ago. Not to get off topic, but I've got Macs from the '80's that are still running while I typically have to replace the Chinese made crap every 3-4 years in my office.

You used to never hear of people using Macs having problems, but now it's very common. So, that's a good reason to look at AppleCare. The reason not to look at it is that Apple's folks are prone to accuse you of dipping whatever you send in for repair in water or dropping it to get out of making the repair. Personally, I've had good luck with them, but I've known plenty of others who have had their repairs denied because of the reasons I mentioned.

Lol. That's BS. It doesn't matter where it's made. It's the design and manufacturing process, which would be the same if they did it here in the US. It's just cheaper to do in China. And what machines from the 80s are you still running? Lol.

Ever since I became an AmEx holder, AppleCare is worth less to me. I mean, it'd only be 1 extra year of warranty. $200 for the 3rd year, on a machine that costed only $1000-1200 isn't really appealing to me.

House Crasher
Aug 5, 2012, 10:41 PM
Lol. That's BS. It doesn't matter where it's made. It's the design and manufacturing process, which would be the same if they did it here in the US. It's just cheaper to do in China. And what machines from the 80s are you still running? Lol.

Ever since I became an AmEx holder, AppleCare is worth less to me. I mean, it'd only be 1 extra year of warranty. $200 for the 3rd year, on a machine that costed only $1000-1200 isn't really appealing to me.

No....It's not ********. There is a HUGE difference in QC. I am as big an Apple fan as anyone here, been using them since my first SE30 in 1987. I will continue to use them but the chances of getting one that 100% is slim to none. I feel that if manufacturing was stateside that Apple could keep a much better eye on quality, sure they have people in place at Foxcon and wherever else they make these things but work ethics in China suck, I know.

noteple
Aug 5, 2012, 11:16 PM
The minimum repair charge, labor plus parts will almost always exceed what you would have paid for AppleCare.

There is a life cycle reason the regular warranty only covers a year.

AppleCare will get you the full three years for a small additional percentage.

It will make the machine whole and in some cases even upgrade you to a newer platform.

AppleCare has replaced batteries for me that had not exceeded their charge cycle count but were far below capacity.

Have bought it and would rather depreciate a machine over three useful years rather than one or two.
I will buy it again.

idencustom
Aug 5, 2012, 11:23 PM
How could anyone possibly entertain answering this question? It's asked several times a day.

GGJstudios
Aug 5, 2012, 11:24 PM
How could anyone possibly entertain answering this question? It's asked several times a day.
... but only once by the OP.

BigB82
Aug 6, 2012, 01:26 AM

I am an amex holder as well, platinum, what were you referring to in terms of warranty?

Moshe1010
Aug 6, 2012, 02:05 AM
AppleCare (http://www.apple.com/support/products/)
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display (http://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html)

You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here (https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do)
AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4689LL/A) and iPhone (http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A), not for Apple computers.
Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) (http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/AppleCare_Protect_Plan_NA_en.pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&tbs=qdr%3Ay&q=applecare+worth+site%3Aforums.macrumors.com&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=) it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.
Why are you answering so in detail? (just curious).

GGJstudios
Aug 6, 2012, 02:07 AM
Why are you answering so in detail? (just curious).
Why shouldn't I? The OP asked several questions. Why not provide answers?

mobilebuddha
Aug 6, 2012, 02:29 AM
black card here.. wassup?

now that we are done comparing our internet epeens.. most amex cards (green, gold, plat, etc) give an extra year of warranty if the purchase was made using amex.

I am an amex holder as well, platinum, what were you referring to in terms of warranty?

rick3000
Aug 6, 2012, 02:36 AM
The MBA is likely safer than most computers because their is no HDD or optical drive, so no moving parts. That said I treat my MBP like a baby, no problems until a month ago, I now have had the logic board, battery, and HDD replaced. I go out of AppleCare in three weeks, was it worth it the past two years when it went unused, absolutely, because those repairs exceeded $1k.

If buying a brand new computer unexpectedly is no big deal for you you may not need it, but then you can afford to buy AppleCare. I think it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Moshe1010
Aug 6, 2012, 02:56 AM
Why shouldn't I? The OP asked several questions. Why not provide answers?

I'm not saying you should not, I'm just curious why your answers are so detailed. Do you enjoy it? (I really don't try to troll here, it's just the first time I see a person that is answering everybody with such detailed responds and I'm impressed).

Deeps
Aug 6, 2012, 06:18 AM
now that we are done comparing our internet epeens.. most amex cards (green, gold, plat, etc) give an extra year of warranty if the purchase was made using amex.

I have a HSBC Premier credit card and this also gives an extra year of warranty on purchases.

Dangerous Theory
Aug 6, 2012, 07:07 AM
I'm not saying you should not, I'm just curious why your answers are so detailed. Do you enjoy it? (I really don't try to troll here, it's just the first time I see a person that is answering everybody with such detailed responds and I'm impressed).
It's mostly copy pasta from his threads I think.

GGJstudios
Aug 6, 2012, 07:53 AM
After years of answering thousands of the same questions and knowing what follow-up questions are frequently asked, I have compiled and refined answers that address many of these. Rather than answer one at a time, and have a thread go back and forth with multiple exchanges before their questions are answered, many have found it much more helpful to have many of their questions addressed by a single post. They can use what information applies to them and disregard that part that they already know or doesn't apply.
It's mostly copy pasta from his threads I think.
I don't use copy/paste. I use a text expander.

mba123
Aug 6, 2012, 08:24 AM
It would cost me 199 to cover an 860 purchase :eek:

Is there a cheaper way of getting it? Surely Amazon SquareTrade is a better option to cover 'costs' at only 80?

GGJstudios
Aug 6, 2012, 09:02 AM

Is there a cheaper way of getting it? Surely Amazon SquareTrade is a better option to cover 'costs' at only 80?
If you qualify for an education discount, that would help.

Dangerous Theory
Aug 6, 2012, 09:14 AM

HE store gives you the 3 yr warranty for no extra, if you happen legible for it.

seared.ahi
Aug 6, 2012, 09:38 AM
To the person who asked, Amex doubles the manufacturer warranty when you pay for an item with your AmEx card. This effectively gives you 2 years of warranty on Apple products. They also give you 3 months of theft or damage protection for 3 months from date of purchase. When you file a claim they can reimburse you up to the amount you put on your AmEx card. You also need to show proof of Occurance, so for example a police report, insurance claim, or Genius Bar quote/receipt.

If you split a purchase, say put only $750 on AmEx for a $1500 laptop, Amex will only reimburse you up to $750.

mba123
Aug 6, 2012, 10:06 AM
If you qualify for an education discount, that would help.

I did purchase via the online HE store.

Where can I find out if I have the 3 year warranty?

Thanks

snberk103
Aug 6, 2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks

For a single product, I think it is a toss up whether AppleCare is worth the money. The vast majority of Apple products will last the 3 years with no repairs necessary. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you can afford to lose that bet.

With multiple Macs, I figure it's worth getting AppleCare on each one. As other's have stated, there are very few cheap repairs on a Mac. Just one saved repair bill will pay for several AppleCare purchases.

The other feature that AppleCare gives you, that is not talked about much, is that you can call Apple for 3 years about anything to do with the system or Apple software. I've had several SW quirks over the years, and I've been able to get them sorted with a quick call to AppleCare.

Good Luck.

Bob Coxner
Aug 6, 2012, 10:52 AM
I did purchase via the online HE store.

Where can I find out if I have the 3 year warranty?

Thanks

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

mba123
Aug 6, 2012, 11:13 AM
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

EDIT: Thanks - I just checked link using the serial on receipt and it says covered until 1st August 2013 for repairs & service, so only 1 year, not 3 :(

stockscalper
Aug 6, 2012, 12:28 PM

Your buying into the Fox News created myth that everything made in China is of comparable quality and costs less to manufacture. There are extreme differences in the manufacturing process, metals and materials used just to name a couple of things that affect the quality of the product.

I know of one laptop maker who had to forgo a certain finish they wanted on their product because the Chinese after months of trying could not replicate the process. A smart phone manufacturer last year had to give up on what might have been a revolutionary design in the shape of phone because the Chinese factory could not make the phone and keep the quality within acceptable tolerances. Funny thing is that prototype models from both companies were made here in the U.S. in a small facility and after rigorous testing held to quality standards. There are more examples of compromises I could name that have to be accepted whenever manufacturing is moved to Chine, but these two should illustrate the point.

As for it being cheaper to make the product there, that is sometimes true and often not. Steve Jobs said in an interview about a year before he died that Apple could make about everything they sell here for the same cost, but they didn't want to. If you are familiar with their last manufacturing facility in California it was highly robotized. Very few humans worked at the plant and none on the assembly line. Your argument then is that the Chinese work cheaper than a robot, which is nonsense.

Lastly, I never said I still used old computers. I said I had some from the 80's, the oldest one from 1986 and another from 1987, that still run. I can't say the same for some of these Chinese made ones that I've bought the last couple of years that have died already.

wolfpuppies3
Aug 6, 2012, 12:45 PM
Apple bets you will not need it and they will profit from selling it to you. You bet that you will need it and save money in the long run if you have a problem.
Each individual needs to make their own guess. A lot like extended warranties for cars and appliances.

seared.ahi
Aug 6, 2012, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=stockscalper;15411841Your buying into the Fox News created myth that everything made in China is of comparable quality and costs less to manufacture. There are extreme differences in the manufacturing process, metals and materials used just to name a couple of things that affect the quality of the product.

I know of one laptop maker who had to forgo a certain finish they wanted on their product because the Chinese after months of trying could not replicate the process. A smart phone manufacturer last year had to give up on what might have been a revolutionary design in the shape of phone because the Chinese factory could not make the phone and keep the quality within acceptable tolerances. Funny thing is that prototype models from both companies were made here in the U.S. in a small facility and after rigorous testing held to quality standards. There are more examples of compromises I could name that have to be accepted whenever manufacturing is moved to Chine, but these two should illustrate the point.

As for it being cheaper to make the product there, that is sometimes true and often not. Steve Jobs said in an interview about a year before he died that Apple could make about everything they sell here for the same cost, but they didn't want to. If you are familiar with their last manufacturing facility in California it was highly robotized. Very few humans worked at the plant and none on the assembly line. Your argument then is that the Chinese work cheaper than a robot, which is nonsense.

Lastly, I never said I still used old computers. I said I had some from the 80's, the oldest one from 1986 and another from 1987, that still run. I can't say the same for some of these Chinese made ones that I've bought the last couple of years that have died already.[/QUOTE]

The problem is you can't really prove that products manufactured in America are made of higher quality than ones made in China, other than your experience of things breaking - which does not always reflect manufacturing quality.

h00ligan
Aug 9, 2012, 04:07 AM
Apple care replaced on my 2007 mbp.

Screen twice
Hard drive
Main board
DVD drive twice
Top case
Keyboard and trackpad twice
Battery

Best $239 I spent. (buy discounted)

Everything but the ram and bottom case was replaced.