Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyFred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I have a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 MacBook Pro.
Currently using 10.6.8 OS X. If I upgraded to 10.8, it costed £14. I wonder if it worth it? Any news to the next OS?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
The value of anything depends on the buyer.

I guess if you have to ask... you don't really need it. :D

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
If you stayed with SL then you had your reasons. I'm sure ML will not change anything in your reasoning. It's a different OS with iOSification and some really nice touches but it may not fit the bill for you.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
I wish I haven't upgraded from SL. >.>

but if you like iOS and iOS integration, then you should b/c then you would be very happy with messages app, reminders, notes like u have on your iOS device.

HappyFred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Is £14 going to break the bank for you? If not, yes it's worth it.
Will it improve the overall performance?

----------

The value of anything depends on the buyer.

I guess if you have to ask... you don't really need it. :D
If it would improve, but not worsen, the performance, I might consider to get it.

----------

If you stayed with SL then you had your reasons. I'm sure ML will not change anything in your reasoning. It's a different OS with iOSification and some really nice touches but it may not fit the bill for you.
I don't find the updated softwares attractive to me.

----------

I wish I haven't upgraded from SL. >.>

but if you like iOS and iOS integration, then you should b/c then you would be very happy with messages app, reminders, notes like u have on your iOS device.
Did 10.8 worsen your mac performance? I have got 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Ram, is it enough for ML?

vladster

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
I have a 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 MacBook Pro.
Currently using 10.6.8 OS X. If I upgraded to 10.8, it costed £14. I wonder if it worth it? Any news to the next OS?

If you need some particular ML features, then upgrade. Otherwise stay y with SL.

My MB Pro 2012 came pre-installed with Lion, and I had free upgrade to ML. So for me there was no reason not to upgrade... since I didn't like Lion anyways.

But my other MacBook is with SL and I will stay with SL on that one.

For my type of OS usage (I'm mostly using 3rd party software) I got no value in ML by itself.

jlrathke

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Like someone said, it really is up to the individual user. I have an early 2011 MBP that came with SL and a late 2011 mini that came with Lion. The SL on the MBP worked just fine and I never upgraded that machine to Lion. The mini with Lion always beach-balled on me and was a little annoying. That has drastically improved with ML, so I upgraded the MBP as well to ML, plus it's nice to have the same OS on both machines. It is nice to surf youtube for music videos and airplay to my ATV with the MBP, so for me it was worth it.

I say Yes,

Jerry

HappyFred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
If you need some particular ML features, then upgrade. Otherwise stay y with SL.

My MB Pro 2012 came pre-installed with Lion, and I had free upgrade to ML. So for me there was no reason not to upgrade... since I didn't like Lion anyways.

But my other MacBook is with SL and I will stay with SL on that one.

For my type of OS usage (I'm mostly using 3rd party software) I got no value in ML by itself.
I didn't use a lot of softwares. Normally, I watch video on youtube and do some recording by garage band.

----------

Like someone said, it really is up to the individual user. I have an early 2011 MBP that came with SL and a late 2011 mini that came with Lion. The SL on the MBP worked just fine and I never upgraded that machine to Lion. The mini with Lion always beach-balled on me and was a little annoying. That has drastically improved with ML, so I upgraded the MBP as well to ML, plus it's nice to have the same OS on both machines. It is nice to surf youtube for music videos and airplay to my ATV with the MBP, so for me it was worth it.

I say Yes,

Jerry
I am not familiar with Airplay. Could you tell me more about it?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I didn't use a lot of softwares. Normally, I watch video on youtube and do some recording by garage band.

Stay with SL.

----------

I am not familiar with Airplay. Could you tell me more about it?

Fred. The entire interwebz is at your disposal. No need waiting for others to explain this.

Since you're a youtube fan I bet there's actual video reviews there.

murkymudkip

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
I have the same specs as you, and I also came from 10.6.8. For the latest features and updates without any sacrifice in speed or anything else, the leap to mountain lion was well worth it.

HappyFred

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Stay with SL.

----------

Fred. The entire interwebz is at your disposal. No need waiting for others to explain this.

Since you're a youtube fan I bet there's actual video reviews there.
Thanks for your suggestion.

----------

Short version - If you have a supported mac you can mirror your display to Apple TV....
I don't have an Apple TV. Wouldn't be useful for me.

----------

I have the same specs as you, and I also came from 10.6.8. For the latest features and updates without any sacrifice in speed or anything else, the leap to mountain lion was well worth it.
I don't think there are lots of improvement, so I decided to stay with 10.6.8.
Thanks for everyone who reply.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Stay with SL until they optimize animations in OS X 10.8.1+. Right now they not only animate improperly (artifacts and icons get torn across the screen when using Mission Control and App Expose, windows get torn up when transitioning to full screen, etc) they're also herky jerky, you'd swear you were using your grandma's old Compaq. The new features ML brings are worth the $20 now, but you might want to wait until animations get improved.

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Stay with SL until they optimize animations in OS X 10.8.1+. Right now they not only animate improperly (artifacts and icons get torn across the screen when using Mission Control and App Expose, windows get torn up when transitioning to full screen, etc) they're also herky jerky, you'd swear you were using your grandma's old Compaq. The new features ML brings are worth the $20 now, but you might want to wait until animations get improved.

You must have it on that old G4 cause on my Air it's quick and smooth

boilingpoint

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
(Mountain) Lion is not for a notebook or desktop computer that has only keyboard and mouse for its input device, but for a tablet computer such as iPad.

As everybody said, almost all new features come from iToy, and therefore useless to a desktop computer.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
Joy, it works well on your air, so why doesn't it work well on a Macbook Pro that outclasses your MBA in terms of GPU and CPU power? Is it because it's simply newer? Because that's not an excuse either.

Last edited by a moderator:

jnl1211

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2011
NWIndiana
Joy, it works well on your air, so why doesn't it work well on a Macbook Pro that outclasses your MBA in terms of GPU and CPU power? Is it because it's simply newer? Because that's not an excuse either.

I apologize that you let my referencing my Air offended you.

boilingpoint

macrumors member
May 18, 2011

Your 2010 MBP is too old to run ML. Apple recommends you to purchase a new Mac to run ML. :rolleyes:

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008

I gotta say I have exactly zero issues with ML itself (artifacts you mentioned), but apps like XCode. Smoothness (animations like expose, switching between desktops etc.) of the OS is much better than it was on Lion and I can say it's similar to the SL, which I still keep installed on my second MBP.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for your suggestion.

----------

I don't have an Apple TV. Wouldn't be useful for me.

----------

I don't think there are lots of improvement, so I decided to stay with 10.6.8.
Thanks for everyone who reply.

Exactly that's why I stayed with my second laptop on 10.6.8 and only installed ML on the new one because of XCode. The only features of ML Im using actively is Notes - synced with iPad and from time to time I check what's in notification center. Ahh and I can't forget the great feature "Group windows by application" which was the first thing I did set off on ML when boot up for the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.