Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redryder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I use my iPod touch everyday for audiobooks and instapaper. I don't play games on it. I also use it for music when I run.

The battery life is very poor now so I'm looking for a new device. The nano looks attractive for its battery life and size, particularly for exercise. But I would miss the use of instapaper.

What do you guys think?

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
I have an iPod 3G and an iPad. I use the iPod primarily for music and podcasts while driving. I also use it occasionally when I don't want to carry the iPad so have several of the same apps on both. I am hoping there is a new iPod in September with an improved camera (the 3G doesn't have a camera or microphone). That then will become my iPad "mini". (I don't have an iPhone because I don't want to pay for a data plan.)

fwtong

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2007
You can always just replace the battery. There are several of services on the internet that will do it, or you can get a battery from eBay and do it yourself.

polotska

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
It really depends what you’d be using it for, and whether you have other iOS devices—if you have an iPhone as well, a Nano makes perfect senses as a complementary device, particularly for use at the gym.

But replacing the battery in the iPod Touch might be the best solution.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
There's a rumoured update to the ipod nano on the horizon, i'd wait till September to see if it's true before making any decisions.

charles35

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012

Base on my experienced playing music is more battery consuming than playing games. Since you your battery life is very poor try to have an alternative battery just for emergency cases.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
First off, welcome to macrumors!

I personally think both don't make the best music players because of touch screen it requires you to look at it all the time.

However, after I got a armband for the nano those problems dissappeared, yes I still have to look at the screen but its much quicker from a armband than it is clipped on your shirt or belt.

If I were to pick between the two I'd pick the nano but only with a armband and assuming the capacity (16GB) is enough for you to work with.

Assuming you can work with 16GB, no apps, and you get a armband then I would pick the nano.

If you must have apps, need more space and don't mind the ackwardness of touch screen as a music player (though you can jailbreak it and use activator to assign buttons to various music functions) then I'd pick the touch.

You also have to consider that updates are a mere month or two around the corner and while there might not be any big updates there may be a update that you are interested in.

brandyboot

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
i'd still go for iPod Touch... if you have a new unit and you will use it for music, the battery could lasts for more than 10 hours.

blufire95

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Germany
The battery life of an iPod Touch is very short, especially compared to the iPhone. There will be an 2012 iPod Touch, so you should buy this one. Your old iPod doesn't get iOS 6 btw, the new one will get iOS6, 7 & 8 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.