PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Native Instruments/Ableton etc will be retina optimized?

mjn298
Aug 4, 2012, 12:19 AM
I don't know. I am in the market for a new laptop and I want to get the retina but I don't think it's wise right now. ProTools doesn't support SSDs, and I've heard that the NI stuff looks like garbage on the retina display. Sucks, because it's a pretty sweet machine.

I'm just doubting that they'll optimize it for such a pixel density until that density is common on 27"+ displays because I don't think the people who shell out the cash (and have the disk space) for these huge libraries are doing their work on a 15" screen, no matter what the resolution.

Thoughts? I don't particularly want to wait, and I don't do any graphics-oriented stuff. This is mainly for live performance with software synths/instruments and guitar rig 5.

Kenaudio
Aug 4, 2012, 07:56 PM
Thoughts? I don't particularly want to wait, and I don't do any graphics-oriented stuff. This is mainly for live performance with software synths/instruments and guitar rig 5.

Hi there!

If you don't do any graphics-oriented stuff then you should think over it! I mean besides software problems which might come up like you supposed, it even costs more money. I would even think about a 13" MacBook if you don't use it for graphics....
What do you think? Have you asked Ableton about Retina comparability?

Cheers,
Keno

ChrisA
Aug 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
I don't know. I am in the market for a new laptop and I want to get the retina but I don't think it's wise right now. ProTools doesn't support SSDs, and I've heard that the NI stuff looks like garbage on the retina display. Sucks, because it's a pretty sweet machine.

I'm just doubting that they'll optimize it for such a pixel density until that density is common on 27"+ displays because I don't think the people who shell out the cash (and have the disk space) for these huge libraries are doing their work on a 15" screen, no matter what the resolution.

I would not use a "retna" for live performance. They are a little slower. Moving all those pixels slows the things down. The best MBP is the 15" with the i7 quad core. The 13" models have only two cores.

Get a disk big enough for all the samples and as much RAM is will fit. (16GB from OWC)

mjn298
Aug 5, 2012, 12:04 AM
Good advice, Chris, thanks! I actually went with the base 15 inch classic MBP as I wasn't ready to give up on this chassis just yet.

Will upgrade HDD and memory this week or next.