PDA

View Full Version : New MBA and WD Harddrive

AurelMax
Aug 4, 2012, 03:11 AM
Hi there

I just acquired myself a magnificent 2012 MBA 256gb 8gb i7... Shipped with Lion, I upgraded to ML before transferring any personal data...

Now, I want to simply use my 1Tb WD ELEMENTS external hard-drive... it is formatted in ex-Fat and hence, never had any problem to be read on recent Windows or Mac machines...
And I'm pretty sure it was sold with USB3 compatibility ... So that should make it really fast no?

Now, it's not even read by the computer... Nothing in folder, nothing in disk utility... but the drive is powered by the Air, and can still be read no problem by the PC.

So, any advice?

Thank you very very much

Have a good day

Aurel

edit after further research on APPLE website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5172?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

What USB 3 devices are supported?
All devices that conform to what is commonly referred to as the "2008 version 1 USB 3.0 specification" are supported.

Are USB 3 hubs supported?
Hubs that conform to what is commonly referred to as the "2008 version 1 USB 3.0 specification" are supported.

How do I get the best performance from the USB 3 ports?
The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs or devices first.

What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?
If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).

I hope everyone has been paying attention to this :) I'm not sure Apple has made it clear to anyone...

Wokis
Aug 4, 2012, 06:28 AM
I don't see exactly how what you extracted from apple.com relates to the case you're describing. You were using a 2.0 Hub in between?

Anyway. I have a WD-MyPassport and the USB 3.0 cable kind of failed on me early on. It would only work when connected to a 2.0 port. The 2012 Air did not recognize it and netiher did the 3.0 ports on my PCs.

Bought a new USB 3.0 cable and the problem was solved.

AurelMax
Aug 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
ok, I guess I misunderstood the "hub" thing then...

I'm having terrible write and read results with two WD hd, I'll try and buy a new cable on Monday. What speeds do you get with your hd?

Thanks very much for your help

Aurel