PDA

View Full Version : A King has his reign and then he dies....

superdudeo
Aug 4, 2012, 09:24 AM
I've been with iPhone since the iPhone 3G. I would never consider Android, it's just ugly as sin imo.

An elongated iPhone 4 with a slightly different back is just not doing it for me. I think the rumours are likely to be true though.

Such a disappointment, I think windows 8 will be gaining marketshare.

MacDawg
Aug 4, 2012, 09:26 AM
That's the great thing about opinions, everybody gets to have one

bobr1952
Aug 4, 2012, 09:28 AM
And why there is not only one mobile phone for sale...

lordofthereef
Aug 4, 2012, 10:10 AM
I think WP8 market share will rise. Whether it's a direct response to the next iPhone I couldn't say. Integration between Windows 8 and WP8 is supposed to rival that of OSX and iOS, and people using iOS sure seam to be praising their almighty ecosystem.

I'd like to think that WP8 will succeed because it's actually good, not just because something that Apple releases might be "bad".

superdudeo
Aug 4, 2012, 10:51 AM
Wirelessly posted

I think WP8 market share will rise. Whether it's a direct response to the next iPhone I couldn't say. Integration between Windows 8 and WP8 is supposed to rival that of OSX and iOS, and people using iOS sure seam to be praising their almighty ecosystem.

I'd like to think that WP8 will succeed because it's actually good, not just because something that Apple releases might be "bad".

I agree with you, wp8 is good on its own merits. I just think it'll be even more successful if apple are releasing the rumoured design.

MacDawg
Aug 4, 2012, 10:55 AM
While WP8 may see some market share from curious users, I honestly don't see much traction from it overall going forward

scaredpoet
Aug 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
Integration between Windows 8 and WP8 is supposed to rival that of OSX and iOS, and people using iOS sure seam to be praising their almighty ecosystem.

Unfortunately, while Windows 8 is okay on mobile devices and tablets, the interface is not okay on Desktop systems. That's where Microsoft is going to have a huge problem. People aren't going to get true integration unless they upgrade, and I don't see a lot of people willingly upgrading to Windows 8 on a desktop or laptop.

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 CP running on my iMac. Windows 7 is workable if I must use it (and that's not very often at all). But Windows 8 is just painful.

lordofthereef
Aug 4, 2012, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately, while Windows 8 is okay on mobile devices and tablets, the interface is not okay on Desktop systems. That's where Microsoft is going to have a huge problem. People aren't going to get true integration unless they upgrade, and I don't see a lot of people willingly upgrading to Windows 8 on a desktop or laptop.

I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 CP running on my iMac. Windows 7 is workable if I must use it (and that's not very often at all). But Windows 8 is just painful.

Windows 8 can operate exactly like Windows 7, from a UI standpoint, if that is your preference. You can use metro, or you can choose not to. I don't prefer metro, but I also don't have a problem with it. It's certainly different.

FWIW, I think if you have the "works if I must use it" mentality with Windows, you are never going to be happy with much of what MS offers you. Been using Windows since Win 3.11 personally, and the only non-workable release of Windows I have come across yet was Windows ME. Aside from that, everything else has been pretty pain free.

nuckinfutz
Aug 4, 2012, 11:07 AM
The look of a phone is pretty low on the totem pole. While there are iPhone users who have had their phones for quite some time that want more radical change the basic consumer is really not "that" into radical designs after all if you're upgrading from a physical keyboard equipped feature phone to a new large screen Smartphone that's radical enough of a change.

Mac.World
Aug 4, 2012, 08:36 PM
I can't talk about vaporware wrt WP8, but Windows 8 is not exactly what people think it is. You have to use it to understand. If WP8 is anything like Windows 8 (the Beta consumer edition) then you can expect marketshare loss. It was a god aweful experience.

McGiord
Aug 4, 2012, 08:51 PM
I am expecting more than the hardware innovation, a new set of data plans from the carriers that will make the future iPhone something unique in the market. I believe they will release two models: a very affordable one that will beat or match the other things in the market (something better than the iPhone 4S and the other "iPhone killers") and another one that will have new hardware features that will make it better than everything else out there, not sure exactly what to expect here, but very large storage capacity 64GB basic, 128GB, 256GB, battery that lasts even more, lytro like camera.

If nothing really disrupting is released then you maybe right to certain extent, not like it will die but the iPhone Kingdom will not continue to expand and conquer as it has been doing.

What is it exactly what you are expecting or want in the next phone you want to buy?

wrinkster22
Aug 4, 2012, 09:02 PM
even if you don't like it, the media hates it, or the reviewers hate- iPhones will sell like hot cakes. Why? Because even if the phone is a complete piece of crap it has a reputation of easy to use, good customer surface, 'trendy', and all of the apps.

scott craft
Aug 4, 2012, 09:23 PM
I can't talk about vaporware wrt WP8, but Windows 8 is not exactly what people think it is. You have to use it to understand. If WP8 is anything like Windows 8 (the Beta consumer edition) then you can expect marketshare loss. It was a god aweful experience.

WP8 is going to be very similar to WP7/7.5 in use. The main difference in appearance other than the updated screen resolutions will be the ability to resize a tile between small, medium and large. Also the gutter area to the right of the current tiles will be gone along with the little arrow at the top right of the screen. It should remain a simple to use operating system with more features.

MacDawg
Aug 4, 2012, 09:27 PM
even if you don't like it, the media hates it, or the reviewers hate- iPhones will sell like hot cakes. Why? Because even if the phone is a complete piece of crap it has a reputation of easy to use, good customer surface, 'trendy', and all of the apps.

Do you honestly believe if a device truly is a complete piece of crap that the general public is so mindless and ignorant to buy/use it based solely on reputation?

Apparently many users find the device useful, meets their needs and fits their workflow.

I personally don't care what the media thinks, or even what reviewers think
I care about what works for me

turtle777
Aug 4, 2012, 09:28 PM
An elongated iPhone 4 with a slightly different back is just not doing it for me. I think the rumours are likely to be true though.

Let me get this straight: all you care about is the form factor, and how the back looks.

OS, battery life, durability, screen resolution etc. don't matter at all ?

Yes, Windows phones will be perfect for you.

-t

Mac.World
Aug 4, 2012, 09:57 PM
WP8 is going to be very similar to WP7/7.5 in use. The main difference in appearance other than the updated screen resolutions will be the ability to resize a tile between small, medium and large. Also the gutter area to the right of the current tiles will be gone along with the little arrow at the top right of the screen. It should remain a simple to use operating system with more features.

I really hope you are right, because I was excited to use Windows 8 when it was made available in the beta form. But it was such a crappy experience (as bad as Vista or Honeycomb on Android! and I really tried to give it a chance, an entire month in fact), I just clicked back into Windows 7 and left it like that, until I did a complete restore and wipe of the drive and a nice fresh install of 7.

I am not gonna bother updating to 8 until I know for sure it is stable and all those issues I had with it are gone. It had better be an enjoyable, easy to use and smooth OS experience, otherwise, like I said, M$ is gonna lose marketshare. Again, I really hope you are right, because I buy a PC every 3 years or so, just to have one in the house, because while Mac's are awesome, every once in a while a PC is just easier to deal with for certain things. So my next PC will def have Win8.

wrinkster22
Aug 4, 2012, 10:08 PM
Do you honestly believe if a device truly is a complete piece of crap that the general public is so mindless and ignorant to buy/use it based solely on reputation?

Apparently many users find the device useful, meets their needs and fits their workflow.

I think that a lot of people will get an iPhone just because it is an iPhone. I completely agree with you, thats why I chose things that work for me. And an iPhone wont be a complete piece of crap- it runs IOS making it worthy option and nearly impossible to botch.

lamboman
Aug 5, 2012, 05:05 AM
I just think it'll be even more successful if apple are releasing the rumoured design.

Firstly, what do you expect them to do? Make it into a circle? An iPhone is going to resemble an iPhone, it's going to have a home button, a camera and earpiece on the top, and a display in between.

Secondly, you're saying that potential buyers will say, "this iPhone resembles an iPhone. I'm going to move to a completely different platform as a result"? People will buy want they want to buy, or what is familiar to them. In this case, the likelihood is that most of these people will buy an iPhone again, provided that they were happy with the experience the last time round.

matttye
Aug 5, 2012, 05:50 AM

I don't think the iPhone is crap, but I do think some people buy it for its reputation.

My mates used to take the piss when I had a htc desire, saying I only got it because I couldn't afford an iPhone. I actually got it because it suited my needs better, but because it wasn't as popular as the iPhone they didn't know how good it was.

Sedrick
Aug 5, 2012, 07:16 AM
I've become really excited (and hopeful) about WP8 after watching their release/keynote. It looks to be a serious rival to the iPhone's ecosystem and with MS's muscle behind it, it can work.

WP8 has the potential to be another "it just works" OS and that will be a welcome offering from a company with an actual fresh approach to it's OS.

Apple's OS offering has just become too tired in my book. A 5 year old grid of static icons is getting very outdated and WP8 looks to be a much needed breath of fresh air in it's looks, simplicity and 'eco' integration.

matttye
Aug 5, 2012, 07:29 AM
I've become really excited (and hopeful) about WP8 after watching their release/keynote. It looks to be a serious rival to the iPhone's ecosystem and with MS's muscle behind it, it can work.

WP8 has the potential to be another "it just works" OS and that will be a welcome offering from a company with an actual fresh approach to it's OS.

Apple's OS offering has just become too tired in my book. A 5 year old grid of static icons is getting very outdated and WP8 looks to be a much needed breath of fresh air in it's looks, simplicity and 'eco' integration.

The tiles aren't much better than Apple's grid of icons. Doesn't appeal to me at all :(

McGiord
Aug 5, 2012, 07:50 AM
What is it that you are looking for into your new 'King'?

scott craft
Aug 5, 2012, 08:02 AM
I really hope you are right, because I was excited to use Windows 8 when it was made available in the beta form. But it was such a crappy experience (as bad as Vista or Honeycomb on Android! and I really tried to give it a chance, an entire month in fact), I just clicked back into Windows 7 and left it like that, until I did a complete restore and wipe of the drive and a nice fresh install of 7.

I am not gonna bother updating to 8 until I know for sure it is stable and all those issues I had with it are gone. It had better be an enjoyable, easy to use and smooth OS experience, otherwise, like I said, M$ is gonna lose marketshare. Again, I really hope you are right, because I buy a PC every 3 years or so, just to have one in the house, because while Mac's are awesome, every once in a while a PC is just easier to deal with for certain things. So my next PC will def have Win8.

I'm referring to Windows Phone. I haven't used Windows 8 on a pc yet. I would have downloaded the preview but I didn't feel like answering tons of questions from my wife. Like you said though, if it's not easy to use Microsoft probably will lose marketshare.

MacDawg
Aug 5, 2012, 08:07 AM
I don't think the iPhone is crap, but I do think some people buy it for its reputation.

My mates used to take the piss when I had a htc desire, saying I only got it because I couldn't afford an iPhone. I actually got it because it suited my needs better, but because it wasn't as popular as the iPhone they didn't know how good it was.

I don't really see buying the iPhone because of its reputation as being a problem
Apparently it earned its reputation, and we all buy products based on recommendations and reputation to begin with, even if we research them

The fact that so many stay with the iPhone indicates it meets their needs
If it were a piece of crap as some feel, it wouldn't have a solid reputation
And users would leave in droves
Yes, some leave for Android for a variety of reasons
And some leave Android for the iPhone for their reasons as well

I have never understood why people of either side feel that in order to justify their choice of a product they have to put the competition down
(not speaking of you BTW)
I am sure some of the Android devices are fine choices
Just because I prefer an iPhone doesn't mean they are a piece of crap either

matttye
Aug 5, 2012, 08:45 AM
I don't really see buying the iPhone because of its reputation as being a problem
Apparently it earned its reputation, and we all buy products based on recommendations and reputation to begin with, even if we research them

The fact that so many stay with the iPhone indicates it meets their needs
If it were a piece of crap as some feel, it wouldn't have a solid reputation
And users would leave in droves
Yes, some leave for Android for a variety of reasons
And some leave Android for the iPhone for their reasons as well

I have never understood why people of either side feel that in order to justify their choice of a product they have to put the competition down
(not speaking of you BTW)
I am sure some of the Android devices are fine choices
Just because I prefer an iPhone doesn't mean they are a piece of crap either

A lot of the iPhone's (well deserved) reputation came from the revolutionary iPhone 1st gen. Back then, there was nothing like it, and it wasn't really until Froyo that Android started to catch up. The iPhone became a household name long before I'd ever even heard of Android.

I agree - the iPhone is a solid device, and I don't really try to convince people it's not. I only take part in threads made by other people rather than start my own. Both sides try to put the other down. This sort of things happens in everything; games, phones, operating systems, cars.. it's just competition, usually by men!

I had a first gen iPhone and I loved it, just had a few shortcomings that I got tired of (lack of MMS, copy/paste, etc.) I no have an iPad 2 and love it now that it has those features implemented.

iOS devices can't do as much as Android devices, but the things that they can do are usually implemented better IMO. For example, my Galaxy S3 used to let me use S voice even when my phone was locked with a passcode, then after I updated the software it stopped letting me do that... that sort of thing would never happen with iOS.

Calidude
Aug 5, 2012, 09:14 AM
I've been saying this for months now. Apple is slacking off and its going to result in a lot of people on this forum getting REALLY upset and jumping to another phone.

On September 12th, mark my words, we're gonna see a LOT of threads moved here to this Alternatives forum. iPhone users be so annoyed at the keynote that they will rant and vent all day and the mods will have a big workload that day.

McGiord
Aug 5, 2012, 09:30 AM
I've been saying this for months now. Apple is slacking off and its going to result in a lot of people on this forum getting REALLY upset and jumping to another phone.

On September 12th, mark my words, we're gonna see a LOT of threads moved here to this Alternatives forum. iPhone users be so annoyed at the keynote that they will rant and vent all day and the mods will have a big workload that day.

What is what you want in the new iPhone that you will get somewhere else?

Mrg02d
Aug 5, 2012, 09:35 AM

Much bigger screen, some eye candy, widgets, newer look/feel (haptic feedback anyone)

Calidude
Aug 5, 2012, 09:37 AM
I moved to a Galaxy Nexus weeks ago.

The iPhone's screen should be wider and iOS is just too slow to adopt features that really should be on a phone. Android covers pretty much all of the missing features from iOS. The only thing I miss on iOS is "Find My Phone" being built-in and I can do that with an Android app.

MacDawg
Aug 5, 2012, 09:59 AM

I think you overstate the case
Yes, some will be disappointed and vocal, but in the overall scheme of things, it will be fairly insignificant

The iPhone's screen should be wider and iOS is just too slow to adopt features that really should be on a phone. Android covers pretty much all of the missing features from iOS. The only thing I miss on iOS is "Find My Phone" being built-in and I can do that with an Android app.

Which begs the question, if you have moved on to a Nexus, and Android meets all of your needs, why do you feel the need to come here to constantly create threads and posts to criticize a phone and OS you no longer use?

Calidude
Aug 5, 2012, 10:21 AM
Which begs the question, if you have moved on to a Nexus, and Android meets all of your needs, why do you feel the need to come here to constantly create threads and posts to criticize a phone and OS you no longer use?
1) I have an iPad, which I consider to be the best kind of tablet right now. I use it mostly for reading. I don't think Android is any good as a tablet.
2) I'd go back to iPhone if iOS improved to a certain point, so why not be one of the voices that spurs Apple to come get my dollars back someday?

http://i.imgur.com/kL2qK.jpg

McGiord
Aug 5, 2012, 11:20 AM

I haven't play with an Android recently, therefore I am curious to know if I am missing something, so I ask: What are those features that Android has that iOS don't?

Mac.World
Aug 5, 2012, 11:43 AM
I haven't play with an Android recently, therefore I am curious to know if I am missing something, so I ask: What are those features that Android has that iOS don't?

I will only speak for the S3, but here are some things it can do that an iphone can't:

I can link my phone via bt to a keyboard, mouse and tv/monitor and have the phone act like a pc. In other words, a mouse pointer pops up on screen and now the phone is essentially a pc. When I use my Apple magic mouse with it, all functionality is there, i.e. the touch interface on top of the mouse works properly with the S3. Anyway, I click on one of my office related apps, like a word doc, powerpoint, excel, pdf, google docs, what have you and simply go to work like any normal pc. Once done, save it to the phone or email it or save it to the cloud with gdrive, dropbox, etc...

I can wirelessly link my ps3 controller to my s3 and to a nice 50" tv, load up any NES, SNES, Nintendo 64 or Android Games built like Call of Duty called Modern Combat 3, NOVA 3, Shadowgun, Dead tTrigger. If you want to have game fun on a trip, just take the ps3 controller with you.

Wireless charging like the old Palm / HP phones is coming online now as aftermarket companies are beginning to sell the replaceable battery cover with the coils installed, plus the touchstone type pad you place the phone on to charge.

NFC paypass and Google Wallet. Not yet activated on the S3 due to the carriers blocking it in favor of their own NFC payment system due to come online in 2 weeks, but limited to just a couple of cities. There are work arounds, but it's a pain.

Removable battery and expandable memory.

MacDawg
Aug 5, 2012, 11:58 AM
1) I have an iPad, which I consider to be the best kind of tablet right now. I use it mostly for reading. I don't think Android is any good as a tablet.
2) I'd go back to iPhone if iOS improved to a certain point, so why not be one of the voices that spurs Apple to come get my dollars back someday?

That's fair enough, and I appreciate the answer

McGiord
Aug 5, 2012, 01:47 PM
I will only speak for the S3, but here are some things it can do that an iphone can't:

I can link my phone via bt to a keyboard, mouse and tv/monitor and have the phone act like a pc. In other words, a mouse pointer pops up on screen and now the phone is essentially a pc. When I use my Apple magic mouse with it, all functionality is there, i.e. the touch interface on top of the mouse works properly with the S3. Anyway, I click on one of my office related apps, like a word doc, powerpoint, excel, pdf, google docs, what have you and simply go to work like any normal pc. Once done, save it to the phone or email it or save it to the cloud with gdrive, dropbox, etc...

I can wirelessly link my ps3 controller to my s3 and to a nice 50" tv, load up any NES, SNES, Nintendo 64 or Android Games built like Call of Duty called Modern Combat 3, NOVA 3, Shadowgun, Dead tTrigger. If you want to have game fun on a trip, just take the ps3 controller with you.

Wireless charging like the old Palm / HP phones is coming online now as aftermarket companies are beginning to sell the replaceable battery cover with the coils installed, plus the touchstone type pad you place the phone on to charge.

NFC paypass and Google Wallet. Not yet activated on the S3 due to the carriers blocking it in favor of their own NFC payment system due to come online in 2 weeks, but limited to just a couple of cities. There are work arounds, but it's a pain.

Removable battery and expandable memory.

Thanks for the answer.

So far those things are not my priorities, but I see the benefit of having them.

How is the battery performance when doing the Bluetooth connection?
I think that with the iPhone doing something like that via Bluetooth will be very crippling.
Does it give you a decent performance when running office apps, and the games?

iOS allows the keyboard to be connected but not the mouse (will be nice to have it).
AirPlay kind of does the trick for the connection to the TV.
And the expandable storage can be achieved with Wi-Fi hard drives. Are you talking about SD cards?

Are there any other features the iPhone doesn't offer?

Some lists out there:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6454_7-10002721.html

Mac.World
Aug 5, 2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the answer.

So far those things are not my priorities, but I see the benefit of having them.

How is the battery performance when doing the Bluetooth connection?
I think that with the iPhone doing something like that via Bluetooth will be very crippling.
Does it give you a decent performance when running office apps, and the games?

iOS allows the keyboard to be connected but not the mouse (will be nice to have it).
AirPlay kind of does the trick for the connection to the TV.
And the expandable storage can be achieved with Wi-Fi hard drives. Are you talking about SD cards?

Are there any other features the iPhone doesn't offer?

Some lists out there:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6454_7-10002721.html

Battery performance using bluetooth does go down quicker, but not a crippling amount. Most I would see using their phone as their pc is an hour or two. I haven't needed to use it for work yet, just tested it out with my iMac's bt keyboard and magic mouse to ensure everything worked as advertised. And there is no hit in performance. Remember this phone has a very fast cpu and 2gb of RAM. It's hard to tax this phone. Even playing games like Modern Combat or NOVA3, which are very graphic intensive, don't phase the phone.

As for expandable storage, I am referring to sd cards. Online storage is okay if you have a fast and solid wifi or lte connection, but you are required to have that for online storage to work. Having a connection isn't always possible. As for the sd cards, I have a couple of 32gb ones, which are less than $30 a pop, so I can change them in andout as I see fit. One for work and one for play.

And of course, I forgot about the video overlay feature. I can watch a video, while still working on a document or playing a game, or texting. I love that pop-up feature. Good for diy projects.

Stock feature wise the S3 provides what only a jailbroken iPhone can, like changing the look of the phone via a launcher (same as Dreamboard in Cydia), access to all of your files (like iFile), attaching any type of file to an outgoing email (like the mail attach tweak in Cydia), etc... It is a long list of stuff. For me, the advantages are clear and make my life easier. I still have my iPad2, but always trying to figure out work around or opening multiple apps to do one thing is just a pain. It has come down to personal preference for me, for which I choose Android. I'm still waiting for iOS6 though to see all the features it has. And no matter what, my household will always have an iphone in it, because my wife only wants that phone and prefers iOS to Android.

Anyway, Here is a long video you can skip through to give you an idea of exactly what I am referring to. I haven't even done some of thethings this guy did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

Grolubao
Aug 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
Battery performance using bluetooth does go down quicker, but not a crippling amount. Most I would see using their phone as their pc is an hour or two. I haven't needed to use it for work yet, just tested it out with my iMac's bt keyboard and magic mouse to ensure everything worked as advertised. And there is no hit in performance. Remember this phone has a very fast cpu and 2gb of RAM. It's hard to tax this phone. Even playing games like Modern Combat or NOVA3, which are very graphic intensive, don't phase the phone.

As for expandable storage, I am referring to sd cards. Online storage is okay if you have a fast and solid wifi or lte connection, but you are required to have that for online storage to work. Having a connection isn't always possible. As for the sd cards, I have a couple of 32gb ones, which are less than $30 a pop, so I can change them in andout as I see fit. One for work and one for play.

And of course, I forgot about the video overlay feature. I can watch a video, while still working on a document or playing a game, or texting. I love that pop-up feature. Good for diy projects.

Stock feature wise the S3 provides what only a jailbroken iPhone can, like changing the look of the phone via a launcher (same as Dreamboard in Cydia), access to all of your files (like iFile), attaching any type of file to an outgoing email (like the mail attach tweak in Cydia), etc... It is a long list of stuff. For me, the advantages are clear and make my life easier. I still have my iPad2, but always trying to figure out work around or opening multiple apps to do one thing is just a pain. It has come down to personal preference for me, for which I choose Android. I'm still waiting for iOS6 though to see all the features it has. And no matter what, my household will always have an iphone in it, because my wife only wants that phone and prefers iOS to Android.

Anyway, Here is a long video you can skip through to give you an idea of exactly what I am referring to. I haven't even done some of thethings this guy did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

That video is impressive, the amount of stuff the S3 can do... had no clue

Mac.World
Aug 5, 2012, 09:41 PM
That video is impressive, the amount of stuff the S3 can do... had no clue

Most people don't. It really is an impressive phone and the only one, besides the iPhone, that actually got me excited about buying it.

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 09:52 PM
I'm referring to Windows Phone. I haven't used Windows 8 on a pc yet. I would have downloaded the preview but I didn't feel like answering tons of questions from my wife. Like you said though, if it's not easy to use Microsoft probably will lose marketshare.

The new Start screen is annoying and it feels like a second desktop (with the regular desktop). There's also the annoying Charms Bar that randomly activates if you move your mouse close to the corner of the screen. Glad I went back to vista (yes, I said Vista [wish I had 7])

Mac.World
Aug 5, 2012, 10:12 PM
The new Start screen is annoying and it feels like a second desktop (with the regular desktop). There's also the annoying Charms Bar that randomly activates if you move your mouse close to the corner of the screen. Glad I went back to vista (yes, I said Vista [wish I had 7])

Yep, these were some annoyances. Getting to My Computer or the task bar took some figuring out. Like I said, the Beta was not user friendly and not set up for a user to easily move around the OS, like Win7 or OSX.

Renzatic
Aug 5, 2012, 11:28 PM

It...it...it has a file system. On a mobile device? Wait. I'm feeling something weird. What is this? What's going on? What's this wetness on my face? Are these...tears? Tears of joy? I never knew such things were possible!

----------

Yep, these were some annoyances. Getting to My Computer or the task bar took some figuring out. Like I said, the Beta was not user friendly and not set up for a user to easily move around the OS, like Win7 or OSX.

(Once again) I've been using 8 since the Consumer Preview, and yeah, I'll say it was kind of annoying at first. Everything was new, different, moved around, and not what I was expecting. But after spending a couple of days using them, I actually ended up kinda liking all the new Windows 8 features. The charms bar is convenient, and the new start menu...well..I've already written up three pages worth of posts about why I like it over the old pop up start menu, so I won't go indepth here, but I do think it's a big improvement over the old.

Your mileage may vary.

That said, I think Windows 8 is a transitional OS release. Much like every time MS makes a big UI/structural change to their software, the first release is the experimentation, and the second the streamlined version everyone likes. Much like 7 is perfected Vista, Windows 9 will probably be perfected 8.

The only question is if MS can continue doing things this way with pressure from Apple and Google. They don't have nearly as much room to flub a release as they used to.

scott craft
Aug 6, 2012, 05:22 AM

Wow! That makes me want that phone, even though I would never do the majority of the stuff in the video. I would have never thought those things could be done on a phone.

McGiord
Aug 7, 2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for that great video. Nice Rodrigo & Gabriela songs also!

I think Apple is pursuing some of these things without any cables at all.

Apple will never provide the mouse cursor on the screen natively. Maybe with an App it could be accomplished.

How the SIII was connected remotely to the desktop computer? I missed how it was done in the video.

Mac.World
Aug 7, 2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks for that great video. Nice Rodrigo & Gabriela songs also!

I think Apple is pursuing some of these things without any cables at all.

Apple will never provide the mouse cursor on the screen natively. Maybe with an App it could be accomplished.

How the SIII was connected remotely to the desktop computer? I missed how it was done in the video.

It isn't remotely connected to any computer. IT IS the computer. When you hook the keyboard and mouse up via bluetooth a mouse cursor automatically shows up and your phone now functions like a pc. Open apps, docs, pics, files, save, copy, etc.. All with the click of the mouse or enter text via keyboard. I believe some function keys work too, but haven't tried it out.

Basically, if you were to go to a meeting and were presenting a powerpoint or needed to view documents, arial imagery, whatever, there is no need to take a computer with you, since your phone can be one.

----------

I also don't believe this will happen. Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs at selling things we thought we didn't need or giving speeches that would rival those of Roosevelt or Churchill, but the presentation of iOS 6 and the iphone 5 will be good. While none of the features will be new to Android users, they will be new to Apple users and that is the demographic that will buy the new iPhone. And trust me, there are tens of millions of them around the world.

That said, I don't think this phone will sell in the numbers some are expecting. It is just too damn ugly. People will get turned off by what is just a stretched 4s.

nuckinfutz
Aug 8, 2012, 12:23 AM
Finding it really hard to get impressed because someone connects a cable to a smartphone. That's so 1970's.

Is this "really" the kind of exciting innovation we should be looking for in the second decade of the 21st century.

Sedrick
Aug 8, 2012, 06:54 AM
It isn't remotely connected to any computer. IT IS the computer. When you hook the keyboard and mouse up via bluetooth a mouse cursor automatically shows up and your phone now functions like a pc. Open apps, docs, pics, files, save, copy, etc.. All with the click of the mouse or enter text via keyboard. I believe some function keys work too, but haven't tried it out.

Basically, if you were to go to a meeting and were presenting a powerpoint or needed to view documents, arial imagery, whatever, there is no need to take a computer with you, since your phone can be one.

----------

I also don't believe this will happen. Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs at selling things we thought we didn't need or giving speeches that would rival those of Roosevelt or Churchill, but the presentation of iOS 6 and the iphone 5 will be good. While none of the features will be new to Android users, they will be new to Apple users and that is the demographic that will buy the new iPhone. And trust me, there are tens of millions of them around the world.

That said, I don't think this phone will sell in the numbers some are expecting. It is just too damn ugly. People will get turned off by what is just a stretched 4s.

I agree with this.

I've been adamant about my disgust with a stretched, 2" wide screen. No one asked for more height for crying out loud, on such a small screen.

It will sell, though, and it will sell good. That's just they way it is with the iPhone. It's become the Rolex watch of smartphones. It doesn't really have to change much each year for people to keep coveting it.

IMHO, it would do Apple good to have bad sales figures for this phone. Otherwise, it just encourages them to do the bare minimum with the iPhone and iOS each year.

matttye
Aug 8, 2012, 06:56 AM
Finding it really hard to get impressed because someone connects a cable to a smartphone. That's so 1970's.

Is this "really" the kind of exciting innovation we should be looking for in the second decade of the 21st century.

It's not the cable, it's the peripherals that you can use with it; ps3 controllers, mice, keyboards, etc.

sentinelsx
Aug 8, 2012, 07:38 AM

I agree but i felt the same way when i had to micro manage iTunes on my windows PC to "sync" everything perfectly the way i wanted on my iPhone. Felt so old school. Even though people say drag and drop is primitive it is so much easier and all my data is actually organized the way i want without fiddling with libraries and settings on both the phone and the PC.

That is one thing Apple would need to address before i ever think of switching back.

Mac.World
Aug 8, 2012, 07:48 AM

The cable is only too connect the phone to an hdtv. If you happen to have a Samsung smart hdtv, no wires are required.

But to your point, it's hard to be impressed with any Apple product, because every single one of them requires a cord or dongle to do the most basic things.

sentinelsx
Aug 8, 2012, 07:51 AM
I discovered the "nearby devices" file sharing feature yesterday in the GS3 and it was nice! All the media shows up on my home computer/laptop/HTPC connected to the TVs and i can play it without any wires or other connection mumbo jumbo. Just like the airplay feature on iOS.

Sedrick
Aug 8, 2012, 08:17 AM
I discovered the "nearby devices" file sharing feature yesterday in the GS3 and it was nice! All the media shows up on my home computer/laptop/HTPC connected to the TVs and i can play it without any wires or other connection mumbo jumbo. Just like the airplay feature on iOS.
The more I see of the GS3, the more impressed I am by it. I'll hold on to my 4 until we see what the next iPhone is, but it's looking pretty damn weak by comparison so far. The GS3 capabilities are just mind boggling. iPhone "just works" because it does so little.

Lynn Belvedere
Aug 8, 2012, 08:25 AM
Windows 8 can operate exactly like Windows 7, from a UI standpoint, if that is your preference. You can use metro, or you can choose not to. I don't prefer metro, but I also don't have a problem with it. It's certainly different.

Windows 8 is very unlike Windows 7, even in 'traditional desktop mode'. No start button for starters.

My prediction is that it will flop badly. The whole Windows 8 project has been a **** show from day 1 and it's what has caused me to jump to apple. Windows 7 will be my last Windows operating system for quite a while, which is somewhat ironic as 7 is so good.

McGiord
Aug 8, 2012, 04:54 PM
I thought the guy connected to his PC with chrome remote desktop service?
About the PC mode, what software does it run? Android Apps only? What Apps are out there?

Is the S3 wireless charger something that comes out of the box? Or an accessory?
Is there a Samsung Keynote video?

x-machine
Aug 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
I've been with iPhone since the iPhone 3G. I would never consider Android, it's just ugly as sin imo.

Indeed, the iPhone 3G looked like a whale compared to my iPhone 1. Hence me not upgrading until the 4S!

firestarter
Aug 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
That's the great thing about opinions, everybody gets to have one

And why there is not only one mobile phone for sale...

Only problem is that Apple does only make one mobile phone each year.

So if Apple heads in a direction you don't like, then you're SOL.

And after all that investment in 'ecosystem', you'd better hope that Apple doesn't go somewhere you don't want to go.

AustinIllini
Aug 8, 2012, 05:23 PM

I look forward to seeing what is in the future. Especially when you consider that once LTE is implemented in the iPhone, that standard will stick around for a long time, and download speed will be the issue for at least the next few years. After LTE is implemented, then we will be able to separate real innovators from pretenders.

AustinIllini
Aug 8, 2012, 05:33 PM

And after all that investment in 'ecosystem', you'd better hope that Apple doesn't go somewhere you don't want to go.

Agreed. Part of me doesn't like having the Galaxy S3 because of all the $$ and time I invested into the Apple ecosystem. That being said, I needed a phone and I do like the S3 a lot.

boomboom2
Aug 8, 2012, 05:36 PM
Agreed. Part of me doesn't like having the Galaxy S3 because of all the $$ and time I invested into the Apple ecosystem. That being said, I needed a phone and I do like the S3 a lot.

That's why I buy all my Music/Books from Amazon. I don't like feeling stuck in a particular ecosystem. That being said I do have paid apps in both iOS and Android even though I don't currently own an iOS device.

rillrill
Aug 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
i'm less concerned about the difference between android, windows, and iOS, and more concerned about the dismal state of wireless carriers in the states. the new plans from verizon and att are a dealbreaker for me to go with a subsidized phone from them - that's probably want they want. right now my money is on those $350 dollar nexus phones and prepaid plans like that t-mobile or taptotalk.

i pay around $80 a month for unlimited data from verizon, but if i want to keep that, i have to buy a $600-$700 phone from apple that probably won't do anything different that a $350 phone from google...maybe a better camera... it's not worth it for me and probably a lot more people like me.

i think apple's reign is over, partly because of inertia, partly because other companies have caught up, but more from carriers fed up with subsidies. If apple really wants to wow me, bring the cost down and start working on cheap, prepaid services like t-mobile. My next phone right now will be a nexus purely from a cost vs value perspective.

LizKat
Aug 8, 2012, 05:52 PM

Point well taken and true for iterations of iPad as well. I don't think I need a cam on an iPad and that's one reason I skipped iPad 2, and iPad 3, and it's also the reason that I bought a Nook Tablet when they were on sale awhile back.

Further, I've always been annoyed (and surprised) at Apple for not letting me read iBookstore purchases on my laptops. So I've bought a fair number of books at Amazon and use them with Kindle-reading apps, not only on laptops but on my mobiles as well. But :D except for the Nook Tablet and a couple non-smart cellphones, my hardware is still all Apple gear. SO FAR.

The app I need now is one that knows who sold me the ebook I'm reading right now so I know which reader to launch. :confused:

lordofthereef
Aug 9, 2012, 06:16 PM
Windows 8 is very unlike Windows 7, even in 'traditional desktop mode'. No start button for starters.

There are certainly differences. What I am saying is that the clutter was removed. Do you find yourself needing the start button? I am not talking about need, as in muscle memory tells you to go there. I am talking need, as in there is something you literally cannot do, or it takes you much longer to do, due to lack of start button?

sentinelsx
Aug 10, 2012, 04:34 AM
I am satisfied with the GS3 but i would love to get a windows phone 8 once i load windows 8 on my laptop. A competitor to the OS X and iOS integration? Yes please!