PDA

View Full Version : Moving from iPhone to Android is Painful

Dwalls90
Aug 4, 2012, 10:57 AM
Out of pure curiosity to see if I was truly using the best platform for me, I bought a refurbished Galaxy S II. And after about a day, I came running back to iOS.

Why?

Music: Where is the Google iCloud music alternative? I have music on my laptop in iTunes, I don't want to upload ALL of it to the cloud to hear it on my phone. Even syncing music through OSX was painful, and not nearly as intuitive as iOS. I felt so lost by the disorganization and lack of simplicity that iOS offers with iTunes Match and iTunes

iMessage: A missed feature as I use messages on my iPad and Mac. It's not worth splitting conversations between Android and Apple, so I definitely missed iMessage too much. Plus the little features of delivery receipts and others were missed.

Contacts: Syncing or moving contacts from my address book to Android shouldn't be difficult. For other Apple devices, before iCloud (which now automatically manages this), I would just export Vcards and import them into the new device. I tried this via email on my GS II and it wouldn't read the Vcards. You would think given how Android wants to adopt more iOS users, they would implement a more convenient solution. Also, I don't want random email addresses that I once used from my Gmail account populated in my contacts.

Apps: Too many bloatware or flakey apps, not enough high quality ones as compared to iOS. The app store seemed confusing not as easy to browse as iOS. Let's not start on the trojans ...

Jailbreaking/Rooting: I missed the root access of my iPhone and installing jailbreak apps. I couldn't even ROOT my "open" GS II on 4.03! Without a doubt, jailbroken iOS > Android. I couldn't uninstall the crappy AT&T preloaded software.

Other: Why the heck does the average user want access to the hundreds of "apps" that are core portions of Android? I am pretty tech-saavy, and even I don't want to view the components of my mobile phone OS like "USB drivers". It should just work ...

Camera: Wow! I was stunned at how poor the camera was. Yes, it has the same MP count, and maybe even better flash technology, but I was amazed at how inferior the picture quality was in comparison to my 4S

However, things I did appreciate were the larger screen and high speed wireless connectivity. It's nice that rumors point towards Apple closing the gap in regards to these categories with the new iPhone though.

In total, having lived in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad, Macbook Pro and iPhone, leaving it seems impossible. Yes, for better or worse, I am trapped and I think I like it that way.

I can understand that there wouldn't be the same kind of separation anxiety for someone who doesn't own an iPad or use cloud services in connection with a computer ... or like to have easy access to their music, but that person is not me. I NEED my media and information seamlessly up to date across my devices now that I have been spoiled by Apple, and I don't think Android is able to fill that gap well at all.

More glad than ever to be an iPhone user and am that much more thrilled for the new iPhone in a month! I would like to say in closing though, that iOS un-jailbroken feels severely limited. If jailbreaking became impossible, I'm not sure if I could stay with iOS, but that bridge will be crossed when necessary.

nuckinfutz
Aug 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
You need Jelly Bean.

It has Google Now and will fix all that ails you.

Dwalls90
Aug 4, 2012, 11:02 AM
You need Jelly Bean.

It has Google Now and will fix all that ails you.

Ok, it's not really my fault Google/Samsung can't get their stuff together to push mobile updates on a timely schedule. I would bet iOS 6 will hit the 3GS + before 4.1 gets to GS II and other devices.

And it was my understanding that 4.1 only improved UI speed with Google Now, what other problems above of mine will it fix :confused:

squidkitten
Aug 4, 2012, 11:19 AM
I've actually noticed all of that as well! I was using an Android while abroad in Brazil because my iPhone wouldn't work there. I think the biggest problem I had was touch screen sensitivity. While it's improving with every Android iteration, it's just no where near as seamless and responsive as the iPhone.

Obviously it's all down to preference, but having used an iPhone and experienced the fluidity between the entire Apple family (man I love how well everything syncs up now that Mountain Lion is released, and it's only going to get better with iOS 6) I can say that it would be really difficult to switch to Android.

But I do know plenty of people who love their Android devices.

einmusiker
Aug 4, 2012, 11:23 AM
This thread is a little precosious. When i switched from pc to mac back in the 90's it was painful too. It takes a little time

ritmomundo
Aug 4, 2012, 11:28 AM
You had years (I'm assuming) of experience using iOS/iPhones, and after ONE DAY using Android, you came up with all that? Wow, you really gave it time to get used to, didn't you?

Besides, if you're using the "newest" iPhone, you should have gotten a newer model Android to make a fair comparison (like maybe the Nexus), rather than an old refurbed SGS2 that was released almost 6 months before the iPhone 4S. 6 months in the tech world is like comparing a 50 year old and a 20 year old in 800m freestyle swimming.

pear21
Aug 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
I am thinking about switching to the Galaxy SIII if the new iPhone is like all of the rumors. I have not heard good things about music on the androids though so that is one thing I am worried about. I do not have a macbook so I wont miss anything there, but I do have the new iPad so I will lose some stuff there, but I want a larger screen that is also wider unlike all these rumors and I was not happy with what they showed us with iOS 6.

lordofthereef
Aug 4, 2012, 11:44 AM
Here are some responses to some of your concerns

Music: Google music

iMessage: There is no iMessage and there never will be. GTalk is kind of your equivalent here and operates very similarly to iMessage. Unfortunately, still no support for pictures. :( I use iMessage, but I am not infatuated by it. To me, for iMessage to be truly great, everyone I message would have to be using it. Obviously, that is unlikely.

Contacts: I have never had an issue with contacts. I use contacts via google for all of my devices, including iOS devices. It's actually easier to do it this way than Apple's offering, especially if you aren't entirely married to using iOS all day every day.

Apps: This is a tough one. I guess I just wonder what apps you are looking for in general. Most of the high quality apps you see on iOS are available on Android these days. There are a ton of low quality apps on each platform. I just choose to avoid them.

Root: Not familiar with your version of the SGSII, but phones that cannot be rooted are very few and far between. What is it you are trying to accomplish with root? Almost everything can be done without it. Off the top of my head, full backup images are one of the few things that require a root.

Other: The average user probably doesn't want the access you are speaking of... but if they choose not to do anything with it, so be it. It still does just work... you just have to leave it alone.

Camera: The camera sucks on the SGS2. But isn't this an Android comparison and not a hardware comparison? The limiting factor here is the hardware, not the software. granted, stock camera software isn't as nice as what iPhone have, but it still isn't your limiting factor here

-------------------------------------
I think your comparison of Android versus iOS wasn't a fair match. Your comparison was more one of Samsung's Android releases versus Apple's iOS releases. Samsung is basically known as one of the worst companies in terms of software upgrade support on their Android devices. Granted, the average consumer views Android as Android and iOS as iOS, so in that sense, I suppose the comparisons are ok. If you get the chance, try something with stock Android; something that is also going to see updates. It will give you a truer comparison of actual Android v iOS. Based on your concerns, I think you would be much happier going that route.

SurferMan
Aug 4, 2012, 12:28 PM
Have 4S and GSII (i777 one), sounds like you didn't do your homework. I have my GSII sync'd fine with my MAC's and no issues like you mentioned, plenty of programs to even sync from iTunes if you want to "use" iTunes still, and you can use Google music etc. Contacts not sure what your talking about as contact management is even better on Android, I even keep the iPhones sync'd with Gmail. Camera, only advantage the 4S has is a very slight one in dim light conditions, there's a ton of settings on the GSII cam so your settings could be out of wack but also some people had faulty cams shipped (seemed like a very low % but there were some reports of faulty cams being replaced). App quality is played out, I've had iPhones for years and have a ton of built up app's, I had no problem finding the same quality/better for main ones I use on Android, sure there's poor apps but that's why you read the reviews or even do a quick Google search, plus you can try and see if you like it w/o buying (can't tell you how many times I bought an iOS App only to think it sucked but then your out $). Even rooting is fairly easy on this phone (what GSII model do you have as there's a couple variants), I'm on Shostock2 rom which is pry the most popular for this phone, and it's slick and fast even animations are buttery smooth, awesome rom, even slightly better battery life then my old 4. I don't care for the stock looking icons or touchwhiz (though new touchwhiz is better than before), but I use GoLauncher EX anyway so I have great sharp looking icons and theme etc vs stock.

The only thing of what you posted that's accurate would be iMessage, which to me is useless since whether business or personal everyone I know has iPhones, Android, BB, Win etc... if 100% of people had iMessage than that would be different.

Sounds like you jumped right in and didn't know the difference, Android is so customizable and so many settings that it can be overwhelming to some people. But I jailbreak my iPhones as well as I hate stock iOS so I don't have a problem spending a day or two tweaking.

Dwalls90
Aug 4, 2012, 12:32 PM
I've actually noticed all of that as well! I was using an Android while abroad in Brazil because my iPhone wouldn't work there. I think the biggest problem I had was touch screen sensitivity. While it's improving with every Android iteration, it's just no where near as seamless and responsive as the iPhone.

Obviously it's all down to preference, but having used an iPhone and experienced the fluidity between the entire Apple family (man I love how well everything syncs up now that Mountain Lion is released, and it's only going to get better with iOS 6) I can say that it would be really difficult to switch to Android.

But I do know plenty of people who love their Android devices.

This is what I am experiencing too.

This thread is a little precosious. When i switched from pc to mac back in the 90's it was painful too. It takes a little time

I guess change is always difficult, but I just find the lack of syncing and easiness annoying.

You had years (I'm assuming) of experience using iOS/iPhones, and after ONE DAY using Android, you came up with all that? Wow, you really gave it time to get used to, didn't you?

Besides, if you're using the "newest" iPhone, you should have gotten a newer model Android to make a fair comparison (like maybe the Nexus), rather than an old refurbed SGS2 that was released almost 6 months before the iPhone 4S. 6 months in the tech world is like comparing a 50 year old and a 20 year old in 800m freestyle swimming.

Get used to what? The obviously lacking amount of features? Or are you telling me that I am supposed to live without basic features such as simply importing and syncing my contacts, music and other things? Shouldn't it "just work"? I don't want to scrape the Android app store for third party solutions.

And actually, the Galaxy S II for AT&T was released Fall of 2011, I'm not sure where you are reading earlier. Furthermore, this isn't meant to be a pissing contest between actual hardware as much as it is software and overall experience. I still don't think I would like the GS III over the iPhone 4S. The GS III doesn't really offer any additional software improvements (my biggest gripes with Android) over the GS II, thus I fail to see how even by giving Android the advantage in that situation, would it even out the battlefield.

Again, the flaw for me lies within the software, not the hardware. I like the screen, the size and thinness of the GS II, although the camera I could care less for (iPhones really do have supreme cameras)!

I am thinking about switching to the Galaxy SIII if the new iPhone is like all of the rumors. I have not heard good things about music on the androids though so that is one thing I am worried about. I do not have a macbook so I wont miss anything there, but I do have the new iPad so I will lose some stuff there, but I want a larger screen that is also wider unlike all these rumors and I was not happy with what they showed us with iOS 6.

I don't really feel more excited using the larger screen of the GS II, though surely more screen real estate is nice. And yes, I find the lack of native music syncing to be a huge drag coming from the ease of iTunes syncing and iTunes Match where it's literally automatic.

Here are some responses to some of your concerns

Music: Google music

Could you elaborate on how to sync my existing music on my Mac so my GS II? I'm not opposed to trying it, but it doesn't seem straightforward at all! You can't compare iTunes Match to having to manually upload and edit your library through Google, can you?

iMessage: There is no iMessage and there never will be. GTalk is kind of your equivalent here and operates very similarly to iMessage. Unfortunately, still no support for pictures. :( I use iMessage, but I am not infatuated by it. To me, for iMessage to be truly great, everyone I message would have to be using it. Obviously, that is unlikely.

Almost all of my friends use iMessage so it's really hard to say goodbye to this feature. I really wish Android would implement an iMessage equivalent, and I'm actually shocked or disappointed they haven't yet!

Contacts: I have never had an issue with contacts. I use contacts via google for all of my devices, including iOS devices. It's actually easier to do it this way than Apple's offering, especially if you aren't entirely married to using iOS all day every day.

I use OSX/iOS every day all day, but can you elaborate on how to sync contacts through Google across all devices? Again, I'm not opposed to abandoning iCloud if Google presents a better contacts solution, but I was presented with nothing in terms of doing this.

Apps: This is a tough one. I guess I just wonder what apps you are looking for in general. Most of the high quality apps you see on iOS are available on Android these days. There are a ton of low quality apps on each platform. I just choose to avoid them.

App quality aside, I miss the app store experience in terms of browsing and reading feedback. I know there is an Android equivalent, I guess this one is personal preference.

Root: Not familiar with your version of the SGSII, but phones that cannot be rooted are very few and far between. What is it you are trying to accomplish with root? Almost everything can be done without it. Off the top of my head, full backup images are one of the few things that require a root.

I searched the web and came back with feedback stating that the only GS II that can be rooted are foreign or maybe T-Mobile on ICS +. I see nothing allowing the GS II AT&T allowing it to be rooted on 4.0.3 (what my phone arrived with). Again, if you know of otherwise, please let me know.

Other: The average user probably doesn't want the access you are speaking of... but if they choose not to do anything with it, so be it. It still does just work... you just have to leave it alone.

Fair enough, it just looks unprofessional and confusing.

Camera: The camera sucks on the SGS2. But isn't this an Android comparison and not a hardware comparison? The limiting factor here is the hardware, not the software. granted, stock camera software isn't as nice as what iPhone have, but it still isn't your limiting factor here

You are right in that this is a hardware factor, but reading reviews across the board I don't see a phone out there that rivals the 4S in terms of picture quality. I think Apple definitely has camera quality down and always has in recent years.

-------------------------------------
I think your comparison of Android versus iOS wasn't a fair match. Your comparison was more one of Samsung's Android releases versus Apple's iOS releases. Samsung is basically known as one of the worst companies in terms of software upgrade support on their Android devices. Granted, the average consumer views Android as Android and iOS as iOS, so in that sense, I suppose the comparisons are ok. If you get the chance, try something with stock Android; something that is also going to see updates. It will give you a truer comparison of actual Android v iOS. Based on your concerns, I think you would be much happier going that route.

Which phone would you suggest then? Does the RAZR MAXX run stock Android? I find that HTC and Motorola feel cheap, and Samsung seemed like a higher quality brand, was I mistaken? I guess I could have tried a Nexus, but I didn't want to drop $350 to try it out.

Carl Sagan
Aug 4, 2012, 12:35 PM
If you miss iMessage use WhatsApp, it's superior.

TG1
Aug 4, 2012, 01:01 PM
I didn't think I'd be able to pull it off either, but I found using my Razr Maxx in Google's ecosystem (Gmail, Google Music, Docs, Drive, Maps, etc.) is a great experience as well. Agree that you'll have to give it more than a day. ;)

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 01:14 PM
Just mount your S2 as a disk and copy/paste your songs onto it, no need to sync on Android. If you really must sync, Samsungs Kies will sync iTunes libraries/playlists with your phone.

Calidude
Aug 4, 2012, 01:27 PM
If you miss iMessage use WhatsApp, it's superior.
Yeah this takes a crap all over iMessage, really.

ChazUK
Aug 4, 2012, 01:42 PM
I found it very easy moving from iOS to android (and back again with my iPad) and have also and zero issues using my stuff on Windows Phone either.

Contacts, calendars, email all handled by Google Sync.
All of my music has been uploaded to Google Music and is accessible on my iPad and also on Windows Phone (via Gooroovster).

Finally, Dropbox/Google drive has all of my cloud files sorted.

I was lucky enough to not get locked into a setup like Apple has. You can either blame other platforms for their inaccessibility to Apple's closed shop or blame Apple for not letting their stuff play nice with others. Obviously it makes sense for Apple to trap you into their products as you become dependent on them.

ritmomundo
Aug 4, 2012, 01:56 PM
Get used to what? The obviously lacking amount of features? Or are you telling me that I am supposed to live without basic features such as simply importing and syncing my contacts, music and other things? Shouldn't it "just work"? I don't want to scrape the Android app store for third party solutions.

And actually, the Galaxy S II for AT&T was released Fall of 2011, I'm not sure where you are reading earlier. Furthermore, this isn't meant to be a pissing contest between actual hardware as much as it is software and overall experience. I still don't think I would like the GS III over the iPhone 4S. The GS III doesn't really offer any additional software improvements (my biggest gripes with Android) over the GS II, thus I fail to see how even by giving Android the advantage in that situation, would it even out the battlefield.

Okay, its clear from your tone that you're looking for an argument, rather than a discussion, so I'm not going to waste much of my time.

You can't switch to a new piece of tech, and expect it to "just work" out of the box. Everything needs tweaking, even the iPhone. Did you power up your iPhone on day 1 and it magically synced all your contacts from whatever dumbphone you were using before that? I don't think so.

To transfer your contacts to your android device incredibly simply, under your iTunes sync options, enable the checkbox to sync your contacts to your Google account (the one you used to log into your Android phone). Now sync your iPhone with your computer. Your contacts will automatically appear on your Android device, pictures and all.

The SGS2 was released in May 2011 worldwide (Europe, Asia). It came to N America in the fall, but with the same hardware specs. The reason I mentioned hardware at all is because you compared camera quality.

And as for the part of your post that I bolded, its obvious that you're not even willing to give the new features a try (just like you barely gave the SGS2 a try). Thus, I'm confused as to why you even bothered to start this thread. Were you looking to argue with people? Or were you looking for support from other sheeple?

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 02:16 PM
I knew before even clicking on this thread that all the Android users would flock here to offer up reasons why the OPs opinions were invalid.

ChazUK
Aug 4, 2012, 02:21 PM
I knew before even clicking on this thread that all the Android users would flock here to offer up reasons why the OPs opinions were invalid.

Some people have different perspectives and have credible counter points.

I may as well have hit out with "I knew before even clicking on this reply that batting1000 would have made a sweeping generalisation towards "all the Android users""

Doesn't really add much to the discussion does it?

Calidude
Aug 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
Are you going to tell us the sky is blue next? Was that supposed to be some kind of dig, even though you know that every iPhone user would do the same in a thread about the opposite?

Mac.World
Aug 4, 2012, 02:51 PM

I knew before even clicking on this thread that you would be posting on here about how all the Android users would flock here to offer up reasons why the OPs opinions were invalid. You are calling the kettle black. Look in the mirror.

Notice how I haven't posted about the OP. simply put, if you don't do the research ahead of time, switching to a new OS can be painful. I'm not the 'stupid police'.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 03:02 PM
I knew before even clicking on this thread that you would be posting on here about how all the Android users would flock here to offer up reasons why the OPs opinions were invalid.

Hey, we can both see the future. :)

Dwalls90
Aug 4, 2012, 03:03 PM
Just mount your S2 as a disk and copy/paste your songs onto it, no need to sync on Android. If you really must sync, Samsungs Kies will sync iTunes libraries/playlists with your phone.

Not as easy as it sounds. I know how to enable USB disk mode on the device, and it's not recognizable by OSX 10.8. Yes I can dual-boot to Windows 7, but that's besides the point (not even sure if that recognizes it either). All of my software is always up to date across the board.

Yeah this takes a crap all over iMessage, really.

I like iMessage because it's integrated into the app. And I have way more friends that use iMessage with iPhones than those across other mobile softwares that use Whatsapp.

Okay, its clear from your tone that you're looking for an argument, rather than a discussion, so I'm not going to waste much of my time.

You can't switch to a new piece of tech, and expect it to "just work" out of the box. Everything needs tweaking, even the iPhone. Did you power up your iPhone on day 1 and it magically synced all your contacts from whatever dumbphone you were using before that? I don't think so.

To transfer your contacts to your android device incredibly simply, under your iTunes sync options, enable the checkbox to sync your contacts to your Google account (the one you used to log into your Android phone). Now sync your iPhone with your computer. Your contacts will automatically appear on your Android device, pictures and all.

The SGS2 was released in May 2011 worldwide (Europe, Asia). It came to N America in the fall, but with the same hardware specs. The reason I mentioned hardware at all is because you compared camera quality.

And as for the part of your post that I bolded, its obvious that you're not even willing to give the new features a try (just like you barely gave the SGS2 a try). Thus, I'm confused as to why you even bothered to start this thread. Were you looking to argue with people? Or were you looking for support from other sheeple?

Um, actually yea, syncing my music, contacts, calenders, ect. works right out of the box on my iPhone, it took you a lot of time how to click the sync button and check a box in iTunes :confused:

And actually I enabled thats sync option and they STILL don't appear on my Android device.

And I don't CARE When the rest of the world received a device, I care when I, the user, had acces to use it. As far as I'm concerned, the GS II is the competitor in all equal facets to the 4S.

I knew before even clicking on this thread that you would be posting on here about how all the Android users would flock here to offer up reasons why the OPs opinions were invalid. You are calling the kettle black. Look in the mirror.

Notice how I haven't posted about the OP. simply put, if you don't do the research ahead of time, switching to a new OS can be painful. I'm not the 'stupid police'.

I'm not looking for people to call my reasons invalid. It's a concrete point, that for me, Android doesn't play well with the well-working Apple ecosystem I have established across my Mac and iPad. Play it how you want, there are third party solutions that try to mimic iCloud, but I don't feel Android is anywhere near as intuitive or helpful as iOS.

And I intentionally didn't research. I had cash to play with, bought a refurbed one to see what Android was about, and was let down. I promised myself I'd continue to play with it for a few days or weeks, but I find myself having a hard time making it my daily phone for the time being.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 03:03 PM

I may as well have hit out with "I knew before even clicking on this reply that batting1000 would have made a sweeping generalisation towards "all the Android users""

Are you going to tell us the sky is blue next? Was that supposed to be some kind of dig, even though you know that every iPhone user would do the same in a thread about the opposite?

Edit: Looks like I'm not the only one who can make these type of predictions. :)

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 03:04 PM
Not as easy as it sounds. I know how to enable USB disk mode on the device, and it's not recognizable by OSX 10.8. Yes I can dual-boot to Windows 7, but that's besides the point (not even sure if that recognizes it either). All of my software is always up to date across the board.

Another way is to use AirDroid, which lets you transfer your files between your phone and web browser on your computer.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 03:06 PM

Yes I can. When I first power it up, it will ask for my Apple ID and iCloud and I can choose to restore from an iCloud back up (or iTunes). Either way, it will grab my contacts from iCloud.

Of course it won't sync with non Apple devices (unless I get it done at the store) because they don't have access to iCloud.

matttye
Aug 4, 2012, 03:09 PM
Yes I can. When I first power it up, it will ask for my Apple ID and iCloud and I can choose to restore from an iCloud back up (or iTunes). Either way, it will grab my contacts from iCloud.

Of course it won't sync with non Apple devices (unless I get it done at the store) because they don't have access to iCloud.

Android phones do that too; it's obviously moving between platforms that causes problems, not moving between multiple devices on the same platform.

blackhand1001
Aug 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
Out of pure curiosity to see if I was truly using the best platform for me, I bought a refurbished Galaxy S II. And after about a day, I came running back to iOS.

Why?

Music: Where is the Google iCloud music alternative? I have music on my laptop in iTunes, I don't want to upload ALL of it to the cloud to hear it on my phone. Even syncing music through OSX was painful, and not nearly as intuitive as iOS. I felt so lost by the disorganization and lack of simplicity that iOS offers with iTunes Match and iTunes

iMessage: A missed feature as I use messages on my iPad and Mac. It's not worth splitting conversations between Android and Apple, so I definitely missed iMessage too much. Plus the little features of delivery receipts and others were missed.

Contacts: Syncing or moving contacts from my address book to Android shouldn't be difficult. For other Apple devices, before iCloud (which now automatically manages this), I would just export Vcards and import them into the new device. I tried this via email on my GS II and it wouldn't read the Vcards. You would think given how Android wants to adopt more iOS users, they would implement a more convenient solution. Also, I don't want random email addresses that I once used from my Gmail account populated in my contacts.

Apps: Too many bloatware or flakey apps, not enough high quality ones as compared to iOS. The app store seemed confusing not as easy to browse as iOS. Let's not start on the trojans ...

Jailbreaking/Rooting: I missed the root access of my iPhone and installing jailbreak apps. I couldn't even ROOT my "open" GS II on 4.03! Without a doubt, jailbroken iOS > Android. I couldn't uninstall the crappy AT&T preloaded software.

Other: Why the heck does the average user want access to the hundreds of "apps" that are core portions of Android? I am pretty tech-saavy, and even I don't want to view the components of my mobile phone OS like "USB drivers". It should just work ...

Camera: Wow! I was stunned at how poor the camera was. Yes, it has the same MP count, and maybe even better flash technology, but I was amazed at how inferior the picture quality was in comparison to my 4S

However, things I did appreciate were the larger screen and high speed wireless connectivity. It's nice that rumors point towards Apple closing the gap in regards to these categories with the new iPhone though.

In total, having lived in the Apple ecosystem with my iPad, Macbook Pro and iPhone, leaving it seems impossible. Yes, for better or worse, I am trapped and I think I like it that way.

I can understand that there wouldn't be the same kind of separation anxiety for someone who doesn't own an iPad or use cloud services in connection with a computer ... or like to have easy access to their music, but that person is not me. I NEED my media and information seamlessly up to date across my devices now that I have been spoiled by Apple, and I don't think Android is able to fill that gap well at all.

More glad than ever to be an iPhone user and am that much more thrilled for the new iPhone in a month! I would like to say in closing though, that iOS un-jailbroken feels severely limited. If jailbreaking became impossible, I'm not sure if I could stay with iOS, but that bridge will be crossed when necessary.

Everything you mentioned is very easy even in gingerbread. You can import vcards in the contacts app by hitting menu.

Google Play music the icloud music alternative, actually existed prior to icloud.

Google talk is imessage except cross platform.

Rooting a samsung phone is very easy. Obviously you didn't try.

Camera is pretty comparable to the 4s.

You can disable most of the stock apps without rooting in 4.03. Just click disable in the apps menu under the app you want. That essentially uninstalls it. It just kept backup in case you want to re-enable it.

You honestly sound like a troll. Everything you wanted to do is pretty straight forward.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 03:11 PM
Everything you mentioned is very easy even in gingerbread. You can import vcards in the contacts app by hitting menu.

Google Play music the icloud music alternative, actually existed prior to icloud.

You honsetly sound like a troll.

Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's a troll.

Mac.World
Aug 4, 2012, 03:15 PM

This wouldn't help anyone that didn't have an iDevice capable of using iCloud before, now does it? Or how about an iphone 3g; or a 3gs owner that never updated to ios5, perhaps? What about dumb phone users? There are many people that only use itunes to do music and update the OS. How many actually do back-ups?

You assume to much about iphone and itune users.

daveathall
Aug 4, 2012, 03:17 PM
A month ago I changed from a 4S to a SGS3 fully expecting to go back to the iPhone. Today I sold my iPhone 4S, seems like my experience is different to the OPs even though the majority of my devices are Apple branded..

blackhand1001
Aug 4, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's a troll.

His whole narrative is untrue. He's either really uninformed or trolling.

Mac.World
Aug 4, 2012, 03:19 PM

You can disable most of the stock apps without rooting in 4.03. Just click disable in the apps menu under the app you want. That essentially uninstalls it. It just kept backup in case you want to re-enable it.

You honestly sound like a troll. Everything you wanted to do is pretty straight forward.

I agree with everything, except the camera bit. The S2 or even follow on S2's like the Skyrocket don't come close to the iphone 4s camera. The S2's sensor and software imaging are crap. The S3 is an equivalent camera taker to the iphone, because the quality is there with both sensor and software, the differences come down to preference of color and saturation.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 03:21 PM
This wouldn't help anyone that didn't have an iDevice capable of using iCloud before, now does it? Or how about an iphone 3g; or a 3gs owner that never updated to ios5, perhaps? What about dumb phone users? There are many people that only use itunes to do music and update the OS. How many actually do back-ups?

You assume to much about iphone and itune users.

Ok I'm aware of that. Not sure if he was trying to prove Android could be synced with a dumbphone because it can't.

SurferMan
Aug 4, 2012, 03:33 PM

Of course it won't sync with non Apple devices (unless I get it done at the store) because they don't have access to iCloud.No different then Android, you first turn it on or flash Rom and you just log into Google, just like logging in for Apple, don't have to go to the store. I always keep the iPhones sync'd with Gmail anyway so transferring contacts around is simple, all my SMS is backed up with Gmail now too. Had to export it from the iPhones initially though to use on my GSII as have a lot of important text.

Course if your going from one device to another obviously somethings aren't going to work immedietly , when each device has its own system. You trade your BMW in on a Porsche, do you just hop in and expect your BMW key to work?

Still don't notice any difference between my cam and my 4S cam, slight advantage to 4S in dim conditions though. I used screen adjuster to adjust saturation and colors etc.

ritmomundo
Aug 4, 2012, 03:35 PM
Um, actually yea, syncing my music, contacts, calenders, ect. works right out of the box on my iPhone, it took you a lot of time how to click the sync button and check a box in iTunes :confused:

And actually I enabled thats sync option and they STILL don't appear on my Android device.

And I don't CARE When the rest of the world received a device, I care when I, the user, had acces to use it. As far as I'm concerned, the GS II is the competitor in all equal facets to the 4S.

It took a "lot of time" for me to explain because its obvious that you need things spelled out to the letter (obviously it still went over your head). Google Sync is probably the simplest universal sync method out there.

Also, are you actually comparing syncing contacts from one iPhone to another iPhone versus an iPhone to Android? You are aware that they are completely different ecosystems, aren't you?

And just because YOU don't care, doesn't mean its not true. This makes a lot of your argument invalid.

Are you dense? How did your contacts get to iCloud in the first place?

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 03:54 PM
No different then Android, you first turn it on or flash Rom and you just log into Google, just like logging in for Apple, don't have to go to the store. I always keep the iPhones sync'd with Gmail anyway so transferring contacts around is simple, all my SMS is backed up with Gmail now too. Had to export it from the iPhones initially though to use on my GSII as have a lot of important text.

Still don't notice any difference between my cam and my 4S cam, slight advantage to 4S in dim conditions though. I used screen adjuster to adjust saturation and colors etc.

I wasn't denying that Android could do this...

Are you dense? How did your contacts get to iCloud in the first place?

I actually had them in my Gmail contacts or whatever. Makes it easier to email people and add them to my phones as well. But to get them to the phone, I could have Sprint (in my case) do it at the store. The contacts would then be in the phone and I could back up to iCloud.

lamboman
Aug 4, 2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry, but for a few of these you simply haven't read up enough on how to migrate quickly and easily. Migrating contacts is more easily done on your Mac. Disable iCloud, ensure that it keeps all your iCloud contacts on your system, then sync with Google. Job done. Rooting is very simple too. Just do a bit of reading up on how to do it.

cynics
Aug 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
I think the main issue is you are trying to do things like you did in iOS vs the way it's done on Android.

I had the same problem coming too iOS. For example just recently I had a member here help me figure out how to take a PDF from an email and email it too someone else. Basically use drop box to save it and adobe reader to send it via email. I was used to just saving the PDF then attaching it like you would on a PC with Android.

It's like an adult learning a new language. They/we are constantly trying to convert it back to our native language.

nickchallis92
Aug 4, 2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know how you people cope without a back button

my iPad is much less user-friendly in that sense.

Dontazemebro
Aug 4, 2012, 06:45 PM
The only at&t galaxy s2 variant released in the fall of 2011 was the galaxy s2 skyrocket.

I can't believe you couldn't find how to root it, did you even look for it? I found it the first time I googled "samsung Galaxy s2 skyrocket root"

Makes me question the rest of your post. Sounds like your just lazy and need everything spoon fed for you.

Mac.World
Aug 4, 2012, 06:58 PM

This made me chuckle. I instinctively keep looking for a back button on my ipad now. Once ICS comes to the Tab 8.9, I am gonna be using that and selling my ipad2.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 07:06 PM

It's because you got use to it. I don't reach for a back button because I'm use to it on the iPhone.

SurferMan
Aug 4, 2012, 07:09 PM

my iPad is much less user-friendly in that sense.That's one of those little things I didn't think of much/or really care about at first. But then holy crap, I couldn't imagine not having it now, for one thing when your multitasking it makes everything so easy and fast, but just in general it's so nice to have. Wish Apple implemented something like that, it would make iOS's sorta clumsy tasking much better.

Sold my iPad 2 as didn't use it much, found myself going for the 13" instead, but yeh when I was using the iPad after getting the GSII... not having the back button was annoying lol.

Vegastouch
Aug 4, 2012, 08:11 PM

No kidding. One day? Android is very different than iOS. Google music is your iCloud for music so how could he miss that?

Oh i know, he only used it one day.

scott craft
Aug 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
One of the reasons I have my contacts synced with gmail and I purchase music from places such as Amazon is to minimize the difficulty in switching platforms if I choose to do so.

batting1000
Aug 4, 2012, 08:50 PM
Android phones do that too; it's obviously moving between platforms that causes problems, not moving between multiple devices on the same platform.

Exactly. That was my point.

Jb07
Aug 5, 2012, 12:26 AM
So you used it one day and did absolutely no research before hand and you don't like it? Go figure. You can't switch to a completely different platform and expect everything to "just work." Need to sync? Kies or DoubleTwist. Google Play Music is cloud music and it is pretty easy to root a Samsung GS2.

If you expect everything to be done for you with one click, Android isn't for you.

Sedrick
Aug 5, 2012, 07:50 AM
I can always tell a post where someone is looking for reasons not to like the competition.

Dwalls90
Aug 5, 2012, 10:14 AM
I can always tell a post where someone is looking for reasons not to like the competition.

Actually I bought the phone in hopes of finding compelling reasons to like it and haven't found any.

SurferMan
Aug 5, 2012, 11:05 AM
Actually I bought the phone in hopes of finding compelling reasons to like it and haven't found any.You just didn't lookup/research of how to use it. Plenty of us already posted what to do and gave you tips etc. I have the same phone as you along with my 4S, i777, and don't have the issues or complaints you do... guess YMMV. Can't just jump into a different OS like it's 2nd nature, even from another going to iOS applies as you still have to setup and tweak itunes and everything else. I'm running the ShoStock2 Rom and love this phone, lot's of Rom's and tweaks for this phone so that can be confusing as the phone has an insane level of support from the dev's vs basically any other Android device.

Dwalls90
Aug 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
I really feel like mostly everyone responding to this thread fails to notice that this is my opinion of my experience. I think it's a fact that iCloud is important to me than the average Apple user. I leverage all aspects: iTunes Match, Contacts syncing, Mail, App unification, iMessage across three devices. If I switch to Android, all of a sudden I now have to manage two subsets of these cloud services, which overcomplicates things.

As I already said, had I been a smartphone only user with no Mac or iPad, maybe it would be easier switching as there are no ecosystem switching costs. But even if Android is superior, I can't justify using two sets of cloud services just for an incrementally superior phone (if at all, that's opinion too!)

Bobby.e
Aug 5, 2012, 12:08 PM

Why?

I have a Galaxy Nexus. I was already using Gmail for email and contacts on my iPhone. You can import the vcf card into gmail.com I actually prefer Google music.

ChazUK
Aug 5, 2012, 12:14 PM
If iCloud/iTunes match is the be all and end all to your cloud services then nothing other than iOS will ever be an option for you.
You got locked into a single vendor and are now suffering (or not, you most likely enjoy living in Apple's grasp) the consequences of that lock in. That is no fault of the Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry or whatever other platforms you may choose to dabble in in future.

We all suffer some kind of lock in at some time. Would it be right in complaining about Microsoft's console efforts just because it didn't play that PS3 Blu-ray game you already bought?

annk
Aug 5, 2012, 01:58 PM
Actually I bought the phone in hopes of finding compelling reasons to like it and haven't found any.

You wrote in your first post that you went running back to your iPhone after a day. That suggests you simply didn't spend the time you need to in order to get used to a new system.

You just didn't lookup/research of how to use it. Plenty of us already posted what to do and gave you tips etc. I have the same phone as you along with my 4S, i777, and don't have the issues or complaints you do... Can't just jump into a different OS like it's 2nd nature, even from another going to iOS applies as you still have to setup and tweak itunes and everything else...

I would tend to agree with this. It does take a bit of time to get used to a new OS.

OP, I'm not trying to convince you that you should keep at it. There's nothing wrong with deciding that you prefer the iPhone. I don't think those of us responding to you are failing to notice that this is your opinion of your experience. We're just a little surprised that you formed your opinion in one day.

Calidude
Aug 5, 2012, 02:49 PM
I have a Galaxy Nexus. I was already using Gmail for email and contacts on my iPhone. You can import the vcf card into gmail.com I actually prefer Google music.
Yeah that was the easiest thing in the world. I just went to icloud.com, exported a vcf file into Gmail and that's it. That's literally the only thing I needed to do in order to get my Nexus up and running.

Bobby.e
Aug 5, 2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah that was the easiest thing in the world. I just went to icloud.com, exported a vcf file into Gmail and that's it. That's literally the only thing I needed to do in order to get my Nexus up and running.

Yea. That's why I'm confused with the OP's first post.

ritmomundo
Aug 5, 2012, 08:58 PM

The OP got behind the wheel of a manual transmission speedster, when all he knew how to drive was an automatic. Now he can't get the car moving because he didn't bother to (or doesn't care to) learn.

jeffe
Aug 6, 2012, 03:20 AM

It sounds like the OP tried to import all there contacts into the phone itself. Maybe that is how you do it on the iphone but with Android it is much better to batch import contacts into your google account and then allow your devices to sync with your google account..

Tarzanman
Aug 6, 2012, 06:43 AM

A galaxy S II? That is mistake #1. Yes, its a decent phone, but in the Android world it is old Tech.

Why?

Music
Lol. I'm not even going to dignifiy this with the solution. If you haven't figured out what the google alternative is to iCloud, then you should really go back to iOS. BTW, iCloud is more or less a copy of Google's cloud services (yes, including the music).

iMessage:
If you like iMessage then use iOS. Google talk is seamless (between tablet/phone/web browser) and allows you to do voice/video chat on any of those devices (even 3G, without extra charges). It is completely seperated from SMS text messaging, so you won't have compatibility problems with non-android devices. In contrast, when an iPhone user sends out group messages, i get all sorts of repeated texts coming in on my phone.

Contacts:
lol, LOL. Your Galaxy S II is *definitely* too complicated for you. You could just put the phone down, open any web browser and import your contacts into your google account that way.... but you should probably really just go back to iOS since iTunes is such a bug-free joy to use :rolleyes:

Apps:Actually, android apps crash less often than ios apps.... but you're right. Google play is definitely too complicated for you to figure out. You should just cut your losses now and sell your galaxy S II

Jailbreaking/Rooting:Without a doubt, jailbroken iOS > Android. I couldn't uninstall the crappy AT&T preloaded software.
Lol. Shaking my head, man. If you can't figure out how to get your music onto google listen, or import your contacts... then WHY THE HECK would you think that you're ready for root access? You aren't, and I doubt you ever will be.

Other: Why the heck does the average user want access to the hundreds of "apps" that are core portions of Android? I am pretty tech-saavy, ......
Yes, you certainly sound very tech savvy. Especially when you declared that an OS hack/tweak like jailbreak is superior to the system level access of rooting the device. :D

-EDIT-
Hey, good job trying Android, but it isn't for people who can't understand it

Ishmumrhmn
Aug 6, 2012, 06:49 AM
I switched from an i4S to an SGS || i9100 and ecerything you said isn't true. Not even ONE fact. For starters, O migrated contacts using iDrive Lite. Why would you want your music in the cloud? Why not just keep it in your phone?
Why would you even bring up the topic of iMessage, that's an iPhone exclusive feature, just like Android's Play Store.
Please don't even bring up the topic of rooted Android vs Jailbroken iOS, CLEARLY Android wins. When was the last time your iPhone had a custom ROM/IPSW with Tonnes of new features like DSP/Beats audio? When could you swap out the crappy iPhone battery? When was it that your iPhone got a major UI overhaul? The first iPhone and the 4S have very little in UI differences.
Face it. Android is open source. iOS is closed source. You tell me what's better, having a car yo which you can do abything, or having a car to which you can only do certain things? I know how much of a PAIN it is to unlock an iPhone, vs Unlocking an SGS || which takes 20 secobds and is FREE.
Switching was a breeze for me.

ugahairydawgs
Aug 6, 2012, 07:59 AM
I don't get it. OP, did you think going in that an Android based phone would integrate as seamlessly with the Apple ecosystem as an iPhone?

JoeBlow74
Aug 6, 2012, 12:08 PM

Why?

I jumped on the HTC EVO4G bandwagon when Sprint first launched this phone back in the old days. :D This phone worked good as a phone and internet surfing machine, but other than that, it sucked as an all-in-one device. I now have a Iphone4S and it just works. I mean it just works. Everything in the Apple ecosystem plays nice with each other and things just are so easy to use.

If Google wants to step up to the next level, there needs to be some major players who provide support to their phones and create a universal standard for which all phones use. Really!! The issue that I had with my HTC is that there was no support for my phone what so ever. Nothing! If I messed up my phone, good luck. I had to use 3rd party buggy software to load music on my HTC, I had to use buggy 3rd party software to do anything on it. I had this powerful super computer in my hand and I could not use it. The app store was a complete joke. Again, there was no standardization in the Google ecosystem. A lot of people talk smack about Apple, but Apple has made a very good product with very good support and a very good ecosystem.

Dwalls90
Aug 6, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm still giving it a chance. Contacts, calendars and whatnot are now synced seamlessly across all devices.

But, given how much I love my music, I'm not pleased with Google Play/Music.

It keeps running into difficulties in terms of being able to upload music ("Upload failed") and I'm a little in awe that it really needs to upload all 11K of my songs. This is where I miss the matching function of iTunes Match.

Other than that, I also miss iMessage, but things are improving! I promised myself I would try it out for 30 days.

Wrathwitch
Aug 7, 2012, 09:12 AM

Here is what I, as a NEW Android user going from iPhone4 (2 years) have discovered.

Firstly, if you like iTunes and have music there and want to keep your media there, there is iSync Wifi that syncs all of your music to and from iTunes quite painlessly. This includes video but not the protected movies that you may have purchased.

The media player itself depends on the device, and there are also choices of that for music. As far as other sources of music, I haven't gotten there yet as I am switching out but still have my iMac as my main computer.

Wrathwitch
Aug 7, 2012, 09:34 AM

I had to smile at this because it is oh so true!

I like iMessage because it's integrated into the app. And I have way more friends that use iMessage with iPhones than those across other mobile softwares that use Whatsapp.

I'm not looking for people to call my reasons invalid. It's a concrete point, that for me, Android doesn't play well with the well-working Apple ecosystem I have established across my Mac and iPad. Play it how you want, there are third party solutions that try to mimic iCloud, but I don't feel Android is anywhere near as intuitive or helpful as iOS.

And I intentionally didn't research. I had cash to play with, bought a refurbed one to see what Android was about, and was let down. I promised myself I'd continue to play with it for a few days or weeks, but I find myself having a hard time making it my daily phone for the time being.

As Yoda would say "And this is why you fail". Seriously, not to harp, but going from a completely different OS "hoping" that it would compel you in?? Dude, I was a hardcore Apple chick and I did 3 solid months of research on the SGS3 before I took the plunge because I didn't want to waste my time and money on something I was initially very unsure of!!

Regardless of anything, you have made up your mind and it is YOUR money and YOUR time so trying to convince you or help you by showing you options or ways to make the device work nicely for you, is pointless. So was making your post. The purpose of your post was to share your ONE DAY attempt at a device in a forum that has known Android lurkers here, seems like a waste of effort on your part because you know were not going to be sympathetic....

A month ago I changed from a 4S to a SGS3 fully expecting to go back to the iPhone. Today I sold my iPhone 4S, seems like my experience is different to the OPs even though the majority of my devices are Apple branded..

Different strokes for people who have an open mind and do some research.

This made me chuckle. I instinctively keep looking for a back button on my ipad now. Once ICS comes to the Tab 8.9, I am gonna be using that and selling my ipad2.

OMG ME TOO!!!

Again, this sums up exactly what I was on about in my first paragraph. You took a tool that you had no idea how to use, considering that you were used to something else. Got lost in the woods, and ran back home and put a post to complain about it.

Yes, Apple is amazing for transferring over things, the devices play excellently together, support is excellent and it requires little effort to use it. By all means, stick with the device you prefer, but please don't go saying oh I tried it but it didn't work. This would be incorrect. It did not work for you because you did not take the time to discover what was different and would be required to make the device work as you wished. Two different OS, two different methods of making them work.

Oh and for those of you in here that talk about Google Music, just as an FYI, we don't have access to that in Canada yet, so that solution is not viable.

OP. I didn't even have Gmail before I bought the GS3. So I didn't have existing google contacts to sync. What I DID have though,was my Mac Mail that I could then check sync with Google and thus import my address book from my iMac to my GS3. None of that was instinctive, I had to do research. Also had to learn about things like DoubleTwist (I prefer iSync WiFi) for transferring all of my music to my phone. My main email provider is Yahoo and all of my email folders and addresses came over seamlessly. So after doing a bit of research, NOW my phone works as I wish it to. Quite seamlessly. I have even found an app that looks like it should work as well as iTunes for complete phone back up (unrooted).

The reason your experience didn't deliver you what you had hoped was simply that you didn't take the time to do it right.

Dwalls90
Aug 7, 2012, 10:08 AM
I am going to try it out for 30 days as I promised myself, but the transition was a little rough.

But I'm telling you, iTunes Match and syncing simplicity is huge for me!

I really wish Google Play/Music was better about uploading/matching songs :(

AustinIllini
Aug 7, 2012, 10:44 AM
I am going to try it out for 30 days as I promised myself, but the transition was a little rough.

But I'm telling you, iTunes Match and syncing simplicity is huge for me!

I really wish Google Play/Music was better about uploading/matching songs :(

Honestly dude, I'm with you on that. Go with Amazon Cloud Player. It's the same price as iTunes Match and it matches as many songs in your library as it can.

Dwalls90
Aug 7, 2012, 12:26 PM
Honestly dude, I'm with you on that. Go with Amazon Cloud Player. It's the same price as iTunes Match and it matches as many songs in your library as it can.

Can you comment on how Amazon fares on Android compared to iTunes Match on iOS?

Right now music is the one thing that is really holding me back.

I would rather go pure google or pure apple, but without a good cloud music solution I'm still very iffy.

AustinIllini
Aug 7, 2012, 01:02 PM
Can you comment on how Amazon fares on Android compared to iTunes Match on iOS?

Right now music is the one thing that is really holding me back.

I would rather go pure google or pure apple, but without a good cloud music solution I'm still very iffy.

My complaint with Amazon player so far is it doesn't feel native to the device. It works quite well, and the match is almost as good as iTunes, but the library is a little smaller. The streaming services currently on it are fantastic.

It's good enough to make me feel content with its service on android, and overall it's a solid interface and a little better than iTunes match.

SurferMan
Aug 7, 2012, 01:27 PM
Google Music works fine and seamless for me, not sure what issues your having unless I mis-read what you meant?? Are you on Mountain Lion? B/c there's been reports of glitches with Google Music and ML but there are threads/post on how to fix it.

Dwalls90
Aug 7, 2012, 03:54 PM
Google Music works fine and seamless for me, not sure what issues your having unless I mis-read what you meant?? Are you on Mountain Lion? B/c there's been reports of glitches with Google Music and ML but there are threads/post on how to fix it.

My two MAJOR issues with Google Music:

- It takes WAY too long to upload songs, their servers must not be fast enough because I get fast upload and download speeds yet I'm lucky to see 1Mb/s. Given I have 11K+ songs it will take forever for this to upload. This is where matching through iTunes is a HUGE bonus.

- About 10-20% or so of my songs that attempt to upload, Fail! I've tried from Windows 7, XP, 10.7 and 10.8. The music files are legally purchased and upload fine through iTunes Match, as well as playback fine without issues. Google has some serious problems in regards to this, as it's way too finicky with uploading music files:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/apps/PzakOieZSUI

----------

My complaint with Amazon player so far is it doesn't feel native to the device. It works quite well, and the match is almost as good as iTunes, but the library is a little smaller. The streaming services currently on it are fantastic.

It's good enough to make me feel content with its service on android, and overall it's a solid interface and a little better than iTunes match.

I'll try it out at some point. I'm just really frustrated with the lack of native cloud music services that just work properly and quickly. I would rather rely on one party for my cloud services (Apple OR Google), rather than Google, Apple, Amazon, Dropbox, ect.

ChazUK
Aug 7, 2012, 04:07 PM
Just one question. Do you really need access to all 11,000+ songs immediately?

I uploaded my whole collection (around 32GB worth) over 3g tethering and had no issues with upload speeds, even though I'm in the UK. I just listened to what was available when it came available on my phone.

I can imagine iTunes match is handy (especially if your collection is of a low bitrate) but with Google Music I am able to download my whole collection of I lose it in the original format I uploaded it (even my FLAC rips). Not only does it act as a streaming service, I consider it a backup alongside my backup I have on a second HDD.

Edit: I will say I had some uploads that failed but by the time it had finished it uploaded the failed tracks. Must have done it between restarts.

daveathall
Aug 7, 2012, 04:23 PM
Sorry, Im a bit confused here (Not hard) but when I go to google music I get a page that states that it is not available in the UK yet. Is it something that I am doing wrong?

ChazUK
Aug 7, 2012, 04:25 PM
Sorry, Im a bit confused here (Not hard) but when I go to google music I get a page that states that it is not available in the UK yet. Is it something that I am doing wrong.

I used this guide to enable it for me (and the wife)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/how-to-use-google-music-from-anywhere-yes-outside-of-the-unit/

Worked perfectly!

daveathall
Aug 7, 2012, 04:34 PM
I used this guide to enable it for me (and the wife)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/19/how-to-use-google-music-from-anywhere-yes-outside-of-the-unit/

Worked perfectly!

Excellent, thank you very much.:D much appreciated.

Dwalls90
Aug 7, 2012, 04:59 PM
Just one question. Do you really need access to all 11,000+ songs immediately?

I uploaded my whole collection (around 32GB worth) over 3g tethering and had no issues with upload speeds, even though I'm in the UK. I just listened to what was available when it came available on my phone.

I can imagine iTunes match is handy (especially if your collection is of a low bitrate) but with Google Music I am able to download my whole collection of I lose it in the original format I uploaded it (even my FLAC rips). Not only does it act as a streaming service, I consider it a backup alongside my backup I have on a second HDD.

Edit: I will say I had some uploads that failed but by the time it had finished it uploaded the failed tracks. Must have done it between restarts.

I selected 100 songs as a test drive and gave it a few days. They still failed

pear21
Aug 7, 2012, 05:35 PM
Here is what I, as a NEW Android user going from iPhone4 (2 years) have discovered.

Firstly, if you like iTunes and have music there and want to keep your media there, there is iSync Wifi that syncs all of your music to and from iTunes quite painlessly. This includes video but not the protected movies that you may have purchased.

The media player itself depends on the device, and there are also choices of that for music. As far as other sources of music, I haven't gotten there yet as I am switching out but still have my iMac as my main computer.

Thanks for the help, so do you like your switch to android?

SurferMan
Aug 7, 2012, 05:56 PM
Google Music servers were slow initially, but seem to be faster now, I don't have 11k songs but I have a few thousand and let it run in the background, think it was less than a day. But I think it depends on your area what time (if servers are getting more loaded etc) as I've had a few people I know uploaded larger libraries than myself way faster, and some slower. Once done it's fast and seamless from that point on as you go/add. Only had a few failed uploads but like the other poster said they uploaded fine after.

oBMTo
Aug 7, 2012, 06:36 PM

- About 10-20% or so of my songs that attempt to upload, Fail! I've tried from Windows 7, XP, 10.7 and 10.8. The music files are legally purchased

Are you talking about music purchased through the iTunes store? Then you must know you were ripped off and purchased DRM-laden music. If don't know a simple thing like that, then clearly Android is way too advance for you.

jeffe
Aug 7, 2012, 09:26 PM
Are you talking about music purchased through the iTunes store? Then you must know you were ripped off and purchased DRM-laden music. If don't know a simple thing like that, then clearly Android is way too advance for you.

This is why I actually stopped buying from Itunes. I've only seen 4 songs fail uploading on my computer and I worked around it by copying those songs into a new folder and they uploaded fine.

OP: Amazon now has a match service like Itunes....could always try that and see if you have the same results.

Vegastouch
Aug 7, 2012, 09:57 PM
My two MAJOR issues with Google Music:

- It takes WAY too long to upload songs, their servers must not be fast enough because I get fast upload and download speeds yet I'm lucky to see 1Mb/s. Given I have 11K+ songs it will take forever for this to upload. This is where matching through iTunes is a HUGE bonus.

- About 10-20% or so of my songs that attempt to upload, Fail! I've tried from Windows 7, XP, 10.7 and 10.8. The music files are legally purchased and upload fine through iTunes Match, as well as playback fine without issues. Google has some serious problems in regards to this, as it's way too finicky with uploading music files:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/apps/PzakOieZSUI

----------

I'll try it out at some point. I'm just really frustrated with the lack of native cloud music services that just work properly and quickly. I would rather rely on one party for my cloud services (Apple OR Google), rather than Google, Apple, Amazon, Dropbox, ect.

That is the one drawback to Google music. But once it is uploaded, it works great. Once Google music starts to get your music on its system, yes it is slow but it never stops unless you turn off your computer and even then it continues when it is turned back on.

I dont know what iTunes matching is but iSyncr in the play store is a easy way to get your iTunes music on your phone....and you can choose what you want on it. There is a free app of iSyncr but it only loads 20 songs at a time. Get the paid version which is $2.99.
Just get a MicroSD card and load it all on that. I only have 5 Gigs of music (around 1,300 songs) and i prefer it to be on my Microcard.

Wrathwitch
Aug 8, 2012, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the help, so do you like your switch to android?

Hmm good question...

I can't say that Android gives me the same warm and fuzzy feeling about my device than my iPhone. There are things that I like MUCH more than what I had on iOS.

Such as: Much nicer screen. I don't care that it is not retina, the screen on the GS3 is beautiful. Because of its size, reading is better, hell even the phone buttons are bigger and better. The ability to easily find and implement free ringtones, notifications and wallpaper. I love the pull down notification and the notification list and light. I am also now addicted to the back button! (I keep trying to use it on my mom's iP4).

I like that the device uses the same technology as my GPS for navigation. I also like that I can use a keyboard app that allows me for the first time ever to be able to type in portrait mode.

The apps are not as polished as iOS and I find that to be true, but for me the phone is not entirely about apps. Most of the ones I want/need are there and are sufficient enough to keep me with the device. Yes, I really do miss my plants vs zombies game but not enough to side load a crappy version for it that doesn't look like it fits right for my phone model.

I think that if Android could tighten their grip on app piracy etc and offer the developers the same incentive that Apple does for making money for development, Apple would truly have something to fear.

So right off the top of the bat, that is what I like about Android over iOS. Only time will tell if I stick with Android permanently or go back to Apple when they offer their phone screen size in a manner that makes sense.

pear21
Aug 8, 2012, 07:01 AM
Hmm good question...

I can't say that Android gives me the same warm and fuzzy feeling about my device than my iPhone. There are things that I like MUCH more than what I had on iOS.

Such as: Much nicer screen. I don't care that it is not retina, the screen on the GS3 is beautiful. Because of its size, reading is better, hell even the phone buttons are bigger and better. The ability to easily find and implement free ringtones, notifications and wallpaper. I love the pull down notification and the notification list and light. I am also now addicted to the back button! (I keep trying to use it on my mom's iP4).

I like that the device uses the same technology as my GPS for navigation. I also like that I can use a keyboard app that allows me for the first time ever to be able to type in portrait mode.

The apps are not as polished as iOS and I find that to be true, but for me the phone is not entirely about apps. Most of the ones I want/need are there and are sufficient enough to keep me with the device. Yes, I really do miss my plants vs zombies game but not enough to side load a crappy version for it that doesn't look like it fits right for my phone model.

I think that if Android could tighten their grip on app piracy etc and offer the developers the same incentive that Apple does for making money for development, Apple would truly have something to fear.

So right off the top of the bat, that is what I like about Android over iOS. Only time will tell if I stick with Android permanently or go back to Apple when they offer their phone screen size in a manner that makes sense.

Thanks! I definitely want a bigger screen for reading and browsing and I like the notification menu better and how they allow for more customization. But yeah I hear the apps aren't as good and aren't as polished. So if I get a s3 I'll have to see if it's too much of an issue for me and if I go back to iPhone. I just wish the 5 would have a better screen than these rumors.

Dwalls90
Aug 8, 2012, 09:04 PM

Where have you been? "DRM-laden music" from iTunes was eliminated in January 2009. Most iTunes tracks are fine, and most music obtained from Soundcloud are fine. It's not discriminating based on where the files came from, Google Music Cloud syncing just sucks.

This is why I actually stopped buying from Itunes. I've only seen 4 songs fail uploading on my computer and I worked around it by copying those songs into a new folder and they uploaded fine.

OP: Amazon now has a match service like Itunes....could always try that and see if you have the same results.

I'm sick of trying and dealing with the issues. This is my point, with iTunes Match, you literally enable the service and within an hour (even with my 10K+ song library) it was all there ready to go. Even if I give Google Music a week, it still can't upload 10% of my library. That's a problem that I don't want to deal with.

That is the one drawback to Google music. But once it is uploaded, it works great. Once Google music starts to get your music on its system, yes it is slow but it never stops unless you turn off your computer and even then it continues when it is turned back on.

I dont know what iTunes matching is but iSyncr in the play store is a easy way to get your iTunes music on your phone....and you can choose what you want on it. There is a free app of iSyncr but it only loads 20 songs at a time. Get the paid version which is $2.99.
Just get a MicroSD card and load it all on that. I only have 5 Gigs of music (around 1,300 songs) and i prefer it to be on my Microcard.

I'm not paying for a third party app when Google's service needs to just work. I'm not downgrading from a working cloud service back to manual file transfers. That is not an improvement, thus I find that Android is inferior to iOS in this sense. Someone can come prove me wrong when Google Music works flawlessly or at least can compete with iTunes Match, but for now it's broken. I consider this a tipping point in if I should switch back to iOS, yes my music matters to me that much!

Vegastouch
Aug 8, 2012, 09:56 PM
want to deal with.

I'm not paying for a third party app when Google's service needs to just work. I'm not downgrading from a working cloud service back to manual file transfers. That is not an improvement, thus I find that Android is inferior to iOS in this sense. Someone can come prove me wrong when Google Music works flawlessly or at least can compete with iTunes Match, but for now it's broken. I consider this a tipping point in if I should switch back to iOS, yes my music matters to me that much!

3 bucks. You dont want to spend 3 bucks? Im sure you have wasted more than that on dumb apps, but...its your money.

I cant speak for Google music for your 11 gigs of music. Not sure how your trying it but you should be using your PC or Mac to do it, not your phone. And im sure you were doing that way . I just dont know why you are having trouble with it because you shouldnt be. Loading music to my phones have not been an issue at all.

Did you start HERE (https://play.google.com/music/listen#manager_pl)?

SurferMan
Aug 8, 2012, 10:50 PM
I'm sick of trying and dealing with the issues. This is my point, with iTunes Match, you literally enable the service and within an hour (even with my 10K+ song library) it was all there ready to go. Even if I give Google Music a week, it still can't upload 10% of my library. That's a problem that I don't want to deal with.

I'm not paying for a third party app when Google's service needs to just work. I'm not downgrading from a working cloud service back to manual file transfers. That is not an improvement, thus I find that Android is inferior to iOS in this sense. Someone can come prove me wrong when Google Music works flawlessly or at least can compete with iTunes Match, but for now it's broken. I consider this a tipping point in if I should switch back to iOS, yes my music matters to me that much!I uploaded a couple thousand no problem to Google, don't know why your having issues. I just let it run in the background and when I came back later that day it was finished already. Don't know why it's so slow for you or the other issues, works fine for me and others I know. Even got my GF using it with her crazy song library.

The problem with iTunes is obviously Apple made it Apple/iOS/Mac (I'd say Mac since iTunes on Windows sucks) etc specific. So if your using another OS device and want to stick with iTunes then obviously you have to check into the programs that sync with it like iSyncr and others.... that way you can use your different OS phone and keep using iTunes like you normally would if you wanted to.

Mac.World
Aug 8, 2012, 11:26 PM
Where have you been? "DRM-laden music" from iTunes was eliminated in January 2009. Most iTunes tracks are fine, and most music obtained from Soundcloud are fine. It's not discriminating based on where the files came from, Google Music Cloud syncing just sucks.

sounds like you just need to go back to iOS. Hey, you gave Android a shot and it doesn't fulfill your needs. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't spend any money to make things try and work for you either, sinse You already have itunes and match set up. You will just have to deal with the hardware, whichever iphone that may be. However, from the sounds of it, it is the software support that is more important to you anyway. Cheers mate.

fox10078
Aug 9, 2012, 02:16 AM
I really feel like mostly everyone responding to this thread fails to notice that this is my opinion of my experience. I think it's a fact that iCloud is important to me than the average Apple user. I leverage all aspects: iTunes Match, Contacts syncing, Mail, App unification, iMessage across three devices. If I switch to Android, all of a sudden I now have to manage two subsets of these cloud services, which overcomplicates things.

iCloud is an apple produced designed to sell APPLE devices. If all those god damn services that are so important to you are on other platforms then there would be NO POINT in Apple making them.

joijoi
Aug 9, 2012, 06:28 AM
Hi!

Is there anyone know why i cannot view my contacts on my iphone? :( i can see some but not all.. What will i do?

Dwalls90
Aug 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
I uploaded a couple thousand no problem to Google, don't know why your having issues. I just let it run in the background and when I came back later that day it was finished already. Don't know why it's so slow for you or the other issues, works fine for me and others I know. Even got my GF using it with her crazy song library.

The problem with iTunes is obviously Apple made it Apple/iOS/Mac (I'd say Mac since iTunes on Windows sucks) etc specific. So if your using another OS device and want to stick with iTunes then obviously you have to check into the programs that sync with it like iSyncr and others.... that way you can use your different OS phone and keep using iTunes like you normally would if you wanted to.

Yea not sure what the issue is, but I'm not the only one (https://www.google.com/search?q=google+music+uplload+failed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb#hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=cp8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&sa=X&ei=F7MjUPyyMIHW2AXG5oDoBg&ved=0CF4QvwUoAQ&q=google+music+upload+failed&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=2f71e8da78d55b15&biw=1600&bih=728)

sounds like you just need to go back to iOS. Hey, you gave Android a shot and it doesn't fulfill your needs. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't spend any money to make things try and work for you either, sinse You already have itunes and match set up. You will just have to deal with the hardware, whichever iphone that may be. However, from the sounds of it, it is the software support that is more important to you anyway. Cheers mate.

That's how I'm feeling.

iCloud is an apple produced designed to sell APPLE devices. If all those god damn services that are so important to you are on other platforms then there would be NO POINT in Apple making them.

Passive aggressive much? Reported.

kevinof
Aug 9, 2012, 07:57 AM
Open up Contacts, click on menu, contacts to display. Then either choose all contacts or select the accounts or facebook etc contacts that you want included.

Hi!

Is there anyone know why i cannot view my contacts on my iphone? :( i can see some but not all.. What will i do?

Dwalls90
Aug 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
I'm going to continue uploading my music to Google music and using Google's cloud services (those that are available that aren't shared with iCloud) so that I can make the switch to Android whenever there is a better alternative for me. But at present, 4.X isn't enough of a smooth transition or experience for me to deviate from iOS.

I'm excited for what the new iPhone and iOS 6 bring!

nickchallis92
Aug 10, 2012, 07:47 AM
Much nicer screen. I don't care that it is not retina, the screen on the GS3 is beautiful

What do you mean by it's not retina?

1)It is not an apple product?

2)It doesn't fulfil their magical science of 300ppi? (because it does)

alent1234
Aug 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm going to continue uploading my music to Google music and using Google's cloud services (those that are available that aren't shared with iCloud) so that I can make the switch to Android whenever there is a better alternative for me. But at present, 4.X isn't enough of a smooth transition or experience for me to deviate from iOS.

I'm excited for what the new iPhone and iOS 6 bring!

spotify or amazon music

i dont even care about itunes that much anymore with those two around

at this point the only thing my iphone does better is connecting to my car's USB to play music

Dwalls90
Aug 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
What do you mean by it's not retina?

1)It is not an apple product?

2)It doesn't fulfil their magical science of 300ppi? (because it does)

It's confusing, because Retina is certainly just a term coined by Apple. I guess that Apple's devices are "retina", but the S3 is still over 300ppi which is respectable.

The iPhone 4/4S has a PPI of 326, the S3 has a PPI of 306.

spotify or amazon music

i dont even care about itunes that much anymore with those two around

at this point the only thing my iphone does better is connecting to my car's USB to play music

That's nice that YOU don't care for iTunes, but seeing as I have my library nicely organized with matching artwork, information and playlists, moving from iTunes is a pain in itself.

I don't want to upload 90Gb worth of music to yet ANOTHER site (still waiting on it to upload to Google Music). Let alone, does Amazon cloud let you locally download and store your music as conveniently as the Android music app lets you?

And yes, I like that almost all car manufacturers make it simple to play music and charge your iPhone. Where is this support with Android?

alent1234
Aug 10, 2012, 09:16 AM
yes, you can download onto the device with amazon music

i have a 60GB or so library in itunes. i buy zero music from itunes. sometimes i'll buy from amazon. mostly i just listen through spotify

ChazUK
Aug 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
Considering all the posts in this thread and your lock in to the Apple way, wouldn't it be best to give up at this point?

Android doesn't play nice with Apple services.
Google music lacks iTunes Match functionality and you're having issues uploading to Google Music. You don't want to use Amazon's iTunes Match like service.
Your car stereo won't let you plug in your Android handset and work.

Too many stumbling blocks to get around for it not to be a pain IMO.

My personal experiences going multi platform have been the complete opposite to yours but that doesn't help your poor experience out one bit sadly.

(In contrast for me)
Google services work perfectly on my windows Phone, iOS and Android devices I've used in the past and present.
Google Music has accepted my whole collection and is accessible on my iPad (gMusic app), Windows Phone 7 (Gooroovster) and natively on Android.
My car stereo has a2dp stereo Bluetooth support and works universally plus my car mount has a universal adapter for charging.

Its really hard to suggest anything but giving up at this point.

Wrathwitch
Aug 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
Considering all the posts in this thread and your lock in to the Apple way, wouldn't it be best to give up at this point?

Google music lacks iTunes Match functionality and you're having issues uploading to Google Music. You don't want to use Amazon's iTunes Match like service.

My personal experiences going multi platform have been the complete opposite to yours but that doesn't help your poor experience out one bit sadly.

(In contrast for me)
Google services work perfectly on my windows Phone, iOS and Android devices I've used in the past and present.
Google Music has accepted my whole collection and is accessible on my iPad (gMusic app), Windows Phone 7 (Gooroovster) and natively on Android.
My car stereo has a2dp stereo Bluetooth support and works universally plus my car mount has a universal adapter for charging.

^^^ What He said!

Calidude
Aug 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
The moral of the story is: Apple locks you in and Microsoft/Google do not.

But yeah, you people should know this by now.

Vegastouch
Aug 11, 2012, 01:36 AM
It's confusing, because Retina is certainly just a term coined by Apple. I guess that Apple's devices are "retina", but the S3 is still over 300ppi which is respectable.

The iPhone 4/4S has a PPI of 326, the S3 has a PPI of 306.

That's nice that YOU don't care for iTunes, but seeing as I have my library nicely organized with matching artwork, information and playlists, moving from iTunes is a pain in itself.

I don't want to upload 90Gb worth of music to yet ANOTHER site (still waiting on it to upload to Google Music). Let alone, does Amazon cloud let you locally download and store your music as conveniently as the Android music app lets you?

And yes, I like that almost all car manufacturers make it simple to play music and charge your iPhone. Where is this support with Android?

What do you mean? Android syncs wirelessly with all vehicles that have those smart systems in them.

For instance, i used to work for Toyota. Androids are easy to set up with those and they work wirelessly with the music and Apps. The iPhone you have to use your usb cable because it wont work wirelessly with entune. Now it may with the music but it wont with the Apps. I can just use my car charger while it is playing if i need to so theres no ground breaking going on there. It actually works better with Android on those vehicles.

Now i havent worked there since February so maybe there has been a software update on Apples end to fix it. Or maybe it will be fixed in iOS 6.

Dwalls90
Aug 11, 2012, 05:30 PM

(In contrast for me)

Agreed, which is why I am. Isn't it weird that Android is only bluetooth compatible with newer models? I don't have the newest car on the market, yet there are plenty of kits that enable native USB connection support through the iPod/iPhone/iPad for cars that were made in the early 90's! This is a major let down for me, but like you said, to each their own.

The moral of the story is: Apple locks you in and Microsoft/Google do not.

But yeah, you people should know this by now.

I would rather be locked in with a service that seamlessly works efficiently, then a half-baked solution with issues that is "open". iCloud contacts is far more reliable in terms of maintaining data and pictures and the same for calendar syncing IMO. If it's the best solution (at least for me), why would I care that it's closed?

What do you mean? Android syncs wirelessly with all vehicles that have those smart systems in them.

For instance, i used to work for Toyota. Androids are easy to set up with those and they work wirelessly with the music and Apps. The iPhone you have to use your usb cable because it wont work wirelessly with entune. Now it may with the music but it wont with the Apps. I can just use my car charger while it is playing if i need to so theres no ground breaking going on there. It actually works better with Android on those vehicles.

Now i havent worked there since February so maybe there has been a software update on Apples end to fix it. Or maybe it will be fixed in iOS 6.

I don't need to be enabling or messing with apps while driving, I would just like basic music/iPod functionality without the bluetooth portion.

ChazUK
Aug 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
Agreed, which is why I am. Isn't it weird that Android is only bluetooth compatible with newer models? I don't have the newest car on the market, yet there are plenty of kits that enable native USB connection support through the iPod/iPhone/iPad for cars that were made in the early 90's! This is a major let down for me, but like you said, to each their own.

A wise choice IMO.

I doubt most car stereos will support the plethora of audio formats the GSII supports.
Whereas the iPhone supports plenty of media formats, the S2 supports:

"FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XMF."

Then there are the ways that phones mount. By default the S2 uses MTP to connect to a USB device but it can be mounted like a thumb drive if you change the mode.

You came. You saw. You didn't see what the fuss is about! :D

Dwalls90
Aug 12, 2012, 05:08 PM
A wise choice IMO.

I doubt most car stereos will support the plethora of audio formats the GSII supports.
Whereas the iPhone supports plenty of media formats, the S2 supports:

"FLAC, WAV, Vorbis, MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, MID, AC3, XMF."

Then there are the ways that phones mount. By default the S2 uses MTP to connect to a USB device but it can be mounted like a thumb drive if you change the mode.

You came. You saw. You didn't see what the fuss is about! :D

Yea I guess I just don't care for other music formats and I don't want to be hassled with entering my phone into MTP whenever I plug it into my car. iTunes easily converts to AAC, and I don't know where your music is "legally" coming from, but Apple supports mp3 and AAC.

ChazUK
Aug 12, 2012, 05:25 PM
iTunes easily converts to AAC, and I don't know where your music is "legally" coming from, but Apple supports mp3 and AAC.

Most of my collection is either FLAC (for lossless) or Vorbis (For lossy) CD rips created using Asunder on Linux.

http://littlesvr.ca/asunder/

Amazon MP3 for pretty much everything else. All legal I assure you!

ixodes
Aug 12, 2012, 05:29 PM

Sounds like it was either an impulse buy, or one that was done without thinking or researching your purchase.

It also sounds like you gave up very, very quickly.

If you had said you learned the OS thoroughly, and after a few weeks determined it was not for you, I would understand. But you didn't keep it long enough to learn it.

No smartphone, even the highly fawned over iPhone is for everyone.

I guess you found that out the hard way.

batting1000
Aug 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Sounds like it was either an impulse buy, or one that was done without thinking or researching your purchase.

Why? Are you saying now that the GS3 is out, the GS2 is no longer good, cannot compete, and therefore should not be purchased by anyone?

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
Most of my collection is either FLAC (for lossless) or Vorbis (For lossy) CD rips created using Asunder on Linux.

I have a handful that are in Quicktime Movie format. They are just songs and they play the same. I guess the music app i was using was doing that. Same size files as a MP3 though.

----------

Yea I guess I just don't care for other music formats and I don't want to be hassled with entering my phone into MTP whenever I plug it into my car. iTunes easily converts to AAC, and I don't know where your music is "legally" coming from, but Apple supports mp3 and AAC.

Maybe that GS2 being refurbished is your problem. Needs more refurbishing? I dont know, but i never buy a refurbished product.

Dwalls90
Aug 12, 2012, 07:27 PM

It also sounds like you gave up very, very quickly.

If you had said you learned the OS thoroughly, and after a few weeks determined it was not for you, I would understand. But you didn't keep it long enough to learn it.

No smartphone, even the highly fawned over iPhone is for everyone.

I guess you found that out the hard way.

I'm not willing to sacrifice the reliability and basic functionality of contacts syncing (which, by the way, for 10.6.8+, google contacts won't sync contact photos to my Mac, yet ANOTHER hiccup in their cloud ecosystem), a cloud music solution, and in my experiences, more reliable calendar syncing. I don't care if Android is "prettier" or has bigger screens, I want something that is efficient and can perform basic needs. And iOS is plenty customizable with my jailbreak, so I don't find the "lock" placed by Apple to be an issue. I'm not going to give it the benefit of trying it for more than a few days, if it cannot easily match the seamlessness of iOS.

How can you tell me that for a Mac user:

Google Contacts is better than iCloud?
Google Music is better than iTunes Match?
Google Calendars has an advantage over iCloud?

Because none of these things are true. Don't forget iMessage which for me is also a huge advantage. You seem to be taking this argument personally. Maybe Android is better FOR YOU, but as an avid Mac user, I fail to see how Android offers more features than iOS in terms of a seamless experience.

I have a handful that are in Quicktime Movie format. They are just songs and they play the same. I guess the music app i was using was doing that. Same size files as a MP3 though.

Ok. I guess I like my music organized, and with that follows the same format and quality, thus either being MP3 or AAC. 320kbps MP3 is very high quality and for 99% of users not distinguishable by the user in terms of birthrate even over 256kbps, both of which iOS supports.

----------

Maybe that GS2 being refurbished is your problem. Needs more refurbishing? I dont know, but i never buy a refurbished product.

Do you even know what refurbished means? It's not "slower", or "inferior". It's the same quality of phone except lightly used. It is the 4S' competitor, thus it only seemed fair to compare the 4S to the S II and not the GS III. We can compare the S III to the iPhone 6.

Legality is none of my concern, I guess it's just very rare to come across someone that rips their music from CD's nowadays, versus using the common platform of m4a or AAC. But to each their own, I just don't need 30+ mb songs in FLAC format when my 320kbps mp3 or even 256kbps AAC are perfectly fine.

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 07:32 PM
Do you even know what refurbished means? It's not "slower", or "inferior". It's the same quality of phone except lightly used. It is the 4S' competitor, thus it only seemed fair to compare the 4S to the S II and not the GS III. We can compare the S III to the iPhone 6.

No.....it means there was a problem with it and it was fixed to normal specs. It could mean as little as the device got an update or restored but in many cases it was defective. You just dont know what the reason was and why i dont buy them. Im just saying it is possible you got one that still isnt quite right.

Maybe you need to learn more before you buy stuff. You can Read about it here (http://www.whatdoesrefurbishedmean.org/)

It is fine to compare the S2 to the 4S but get one that is working properly.

Dwalls90
Aug 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
No.....it means there was a problem with it and it was fixed to normal specs. It could mean as little as the device got an update or restored but in many cases it was defective. You just dont know what the reason was and why i dont buy them. Im just saying it is possible you got one that still isnt quite right.

Maybe you need to learn more before you buy stuff. You can Read about it here (http://www.whatdoesrefurbishedmean.org/)

Sorry bud, ran diagnostics and ran side to side comparisons with my friends S II. Don't blame Android's shortcomings on the S II, the phone was fine, it was just lightly used. All of the issues I point out aren't even necessarily performance based, thus removing the issue of "refurb" out of the picture. The issues or shortcoming I encountered are justified by googling the problems themselves, I am not the only one experiencing them.

Refurbished products include returned or lightly used ones, per the vendor I bought mine from. And I prefer to go by the definition of refurb from the vendor I am purchasing from, not some no-name website that you provided.

belvdr
Aug 12, 2012, 07:47 PM

It is fine to compare the S2 to the 4S but get one that is working properly.

Some refurbished goods are also new products that were bought, opened, used, and then returned. The retailer cannot sell such items as new.

Vegastouch
Aug 12, 2012, 08:02 PM
Sorry bud, ran diagnostics and ran side to side comparisons with my friends S II. Don't blame Android's shortcomings on the S II, the phone was fine, it was just lightly used. All of the issues I point out aren't even necessarily performance based, thus removing the issue of "refurb" out of the picture. The issues or shortcoming I encountered are justified by googling the problems themselves, I am not the only one experiencing them.

Whoa there, i was just suggesting you may have got one that isnt right. Hell new ones arent right many times. Even iPhones have threads here that are messed up in some capacity. Its ok, was just saying.

Refurbished products include returned or lightly used ones, per the vendor I bought mine from. And I prefer to go by the definition of refurb from the vendor I am purchasing from, not some no-name website that you provided.

Well yeah...lol, they arent going to tell you there was a problem if they dont have to. They will say it was just lightly used...and it could of been. Is why i gave you a refurbished website to read and not something like Best Buy, but ...looks like you prefer a Best Buy instead. Whatever!

----------

Some refurbished goods are also new products that were bought, opened, used, and then returned. The retailer cannot sell such items as new.

Very true, but you never know which one your getting. The simple return or one that is defective and some lazy tech didnt fix it right.

belvdr
Aug 12, 2012, 08:03 PM
Very true, but you never know which one your getting.

Since you get the same warranty any way (always demand this), it makes no difference to me. It just means I save some cash. Apple, for example, always gives you the same warranty period as a new unit.

Dwalls90
Aug 13, 2012, 07:37 AM

Exactly my point.

Whoa there, i was just suggesting you may have got one that isnt right. Hell new ones arent right many times. Even iPhones have threads here that are messed up in some capacity. Its ok, was just saying.

Well yeah...lol, they arent going to tell you there was a problem if they dont have to. They will say it was just lightly used...and it could of been. Is why i gave you a refurbished website to read and not something like Best Buy, but ...looks like you prefer a Best Buy instead. Whatever!

----------

Very true, but you never know which one your getting. The simple return or one that is defective and some lazy tech didnt fix it right.

Are you nuts? What large vendor such as Apple, Samsung, AT&T or Verizon would sell "refurbished" handsets that are "secretly defective" when they are also offering warranty coverage? Not only is that horrible for their image as a premier company, but also will cost them as they have to cover repair and customer service costs. You are flat out wrong here, refurbished items are not defective from point of sale.

Again, don't blame Android by saying "your handset is faulty", because it's not. That's how it was built to function.

Since you get the same warranty any way (always demand this), it makes no difference to me. It just means I save some cash. Apple, for example, always gives you the same warranty period as a new unit.

Exactly! I've actually been buying everything refurbished from Apple that I possibly can, as they have always looked like new and reliability wise have been perfect! As long as one doesn't have the ego problem that they are buying a "non-new" product, refurbs are the way to go IMO.

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 03:16 AM
Not worth the hassle. Again, why would I DOWNGRADE from the ease of over the air live syncing of my contacts, to the wired manual transfer of .VCF?
What the hell are you talking about?

To move your contacts from iCloud to a Google account, you only have to do these easy steps.

Go to iCloud.com ---> Contacts
Export them to VCF
Go to Gmail contacts in your Google account and import them
That's it, Google now has all your contacts and syncs them with your phone 24/7.

Why do you keep talking about this like its some kind of chore? It's even easier than putting your contacts from a dumbphone into an iPhone. You don't even have to touch both phones. You just literally sit at your computer and do it all in 2 mins with your web browser.

Dwalls90
Aug 14, 2012, 08:14 AM
What the hell are you talking about?

To move your contacts from iCloud to a Google account, you only have to do these easy steps.

Go to iCloud.com ---> Contacts
Export them to VCF
Go to Gmail contacts in your Google account and import them
That's it, Google now has all your contacts and syncs them with your phone 24/7.

Why do you keep talking about this like its some kind of chore? It's even easier than putting your contacts from a dumbphone into an iPhone. You don't even have to touch both phones. You just literally sit at your computer and do it all in 2 mins with your web browser.

Yep, and that's nice and easy to put your contacts into Google. Until you enable Google sync through OSX, which then proceeds to remove the photos, links and other information from the contact card. Note: This is Google's fault, as this behavior was not caused by a change to OSX:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroup******opic/gmail/WE8mnELao-w[1-25]

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3888102?start=0&tstart=0

So again, iCloud trumps Google for contact syncing through iOS AND OSX.

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 03:55 PM
So again, iCloud trumps Google for contact syncing through iOS AND OSX.
Why would you think otherwise? Google sync is web-based, not something tied to an OS like Windows, Linux or OSX. You need to use a web browser, Android or Chrome OS.

Dwalls90
Aug 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
Why would you think otherwise? Google sync is web-based, not something tied to an OS like Windows, Linux or OSX. You need to use a web browser, Android or Chrome OS.

I did. In fact I used Chrome and enabled it across all devices. Is Chrome going to sync my iPad or Mac's contacts like iCloud can? No.

Chrome will let you sync your tabs and history, not your calendars, contacts or music.

And using native apps is way more reliable let alone faster than web-based apps.

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Exactly my point. So either you have the proper solution which works with iOS, or a half-baked lazy solution on Android. I know which I'll be using.

iTunes doesn't have several of the albums I have on my PC, so iTunes Match isn't perfect nor does it work outside of the US (although Google Music doesn't either, yet.)

Dwalls90
Aug 14, 2012, 05:01 PM
iTunes doesn't have several of the albums I have on my PC, so iTunes Match isn't perfect nor does it work outside of the US (although Google Music doesn't either, yet.)

It seems that iTunes has all studio albums with the exception of a handful of artists.

But it will just upload those manually then. I don't mind manually uploading a few albums, as a few of mine didn't match either, but you're talking maybe a couple hundred versus a couple thousand.

matttye
Aug 14, 2012, 05:02 PM
It seems that iTunes has all studio albums with the exception of a handful of artists.

But it will just upload those manually then. I don't mind manually uploading a few albums, as a few of mine didn't match either, but you're talking maybe a couple hundred versus a couple thousand.

I didn't realise iTunes Match would upload them if it couldn't find them.

Cool :)

Dwalls90
Aug 14, 2012, 05:31 PM
I didn't realise iTunes Match would upload them if it couldn't find them.

Cool :)

Helpful fall back feature for sure.

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
I did. In fact I used Chrome and enabled it across all devices. Is Chrome going to sync my iPad or Mac's contacts like iCloud can? No.

Chrome will let you sync your tabs and history, not your calendars, contacts or music.

And using native apps is way more reliable let alone faster than web-based apps.
I'm trying to tell you that Google isn't very compatible with things like the sync functions on OSX or Windows. It's web-based stuff meant to be controlled from a browser. If you want perfect sync with a Mac, you need an iPhone. That's just how it is. You should only go with Google if you are comfortable with doing all the work via a web browser.

cynics
Aug 14, 2012, 06:35 PM
This seems like a strange debate. Android devices sync very easily to other Android devices, iOS device sync very easily to other iOS devices. If they don't sync very well with each other then blame the company that doesn't play ball, which ever that is.

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
This seems like a strange debate. Android devices sync very easily to other Android devices, iOS device sync very easily to other iOS devices. If they don't sync very well with each other then blame the company that doesn't play ball, which ever that is.
Apple is the company that doesn't play ball, but I don't blame them. They're a business. They're trying to get everybody to use only their hardware.

Google just wants you to put whatever data you have into their cloud and they don't care how it happens, so that's why their stuff works better on other devices.

nickchallis92
Aug 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Dwalls90;15451058]

Why do we always compare the new iphones to old android phones? Why not the other way round?

I could easily say the SGS2 was the competitor to the iphone 4. Same time difference

Calidude
Aug 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Why do we always compare the new iphones to old android phones?
Bias. Contempt. Lack of fairness inherent in fanaticism.

Dwalls90
Aug 14, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm trying to tell you that Google isn't very compatible with things like the sync functions on OSX or Windows. It's web-based stuff meant to be controlled from a browser. If you want perfect sync with a Mac, you need an iPhone. That's just how it is. You should only go with Google if you are comfortable with doing all the work via a web browser.

Since when does Windows even sync well? IMO, it's not that Google or Microsoft "suck" at the cloud and syncing, it's just that Apple does it way better.

Android "devices"? In case I want to sync my contacts with my second Android smartphone? Or perhaps my non-Text-message-able tablet?

Why do we always compare the new iphones to old android phones? Why not the other way round?

I could easily say the SGS2 was the competitor to the iphone 4. Same time difference

False. SGS2 was released "internationally" in May 2011, iPhone 4S was released October 2011. You're trying to tell me that the iPhone 4, released in June 2010, 11 months before the SGS2, is the competitor to the SGS2? LOL

No. The iPhone 4S, released 5 months after the SGS 2 internationally is it's competitor. But really, let's not forget the SGS 2 did not come to the USA until Sept-Nov 2011. So really, the SGS2 and iPhone 4S couldn't be more direct of competitors.

Bias. Contempt. Lack of fairness inherent in fanaticism.

See above. Use facts, like me, before accusing others of "bias".

cynics
Aug 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Android "devices"? In case I want to sync my contacts with my second Android smartphone? Or perhaps my non-Text-message-able tablet?

And why can't YOU text with an Android tablet? Lol....This will be interesting...

SlCKB0Y
Aug 14, 2012, 10:21 PM
Since when does Windows even sync well? IMO, it's not that Google or Microsoft "suck" at the cloud and syncing, it's just that Apple does it way better.

Yep, I know I'm listening to every word you say on this matter.... afterall, you've got a good days usage of Android under your belt.

Believe it or not, but contacts can store data other than phone numbers. It's crazy I know. See recently, someone came up with this technology called "email". It's really good, you should try it! I've saved so much money on stamps.

No. The iPhone 4S, released 5 months after the SGS 2 internationally is it's competitor. But really, let's not forget the SGS 2 did not come to the USA until Sept-Nov 2011. So really, the SGS2 and iPhone 4S couldn't be more direct of competitors.

BWAHAHAHAH...This is my favourite bit in the whole mess you've typed out. Who cares when it was released in the US...the vast majority of the world is NOT the US. What matters is that the GS2 was six month old technology at that point and that it what counts. In the Android world, six months is a long time.

----------

And why can't YOU text with an Android tablet? Lol....This will be interesting...

^^ This

----------

You can use and sync almost all Google services on iOS but I can't think of a single Apple service I can use on my Android.

vistadude
Aug 15, 2012, 12:30 AM
Isn't SMS/MMS way better than iMessage? SMS works on any device, doesn't require 3G, and doesn't have failed deliveries like iMessage does. SMS might cost money, but so do iPhone cases and other apple taxes.

Calidude
Aug 15, 2012, 03:01 AM
Isn't SMS/MMS way better than iMessage? SMS works on any device, doesn't require 3G, and doesn't have failed deliveries like iMessage does. SMS might cost money, but so do iPhone cases and other apple taxes.
iMessage is for specific purposes, such as messaging iPads and iPods and messaging people in other countries for free.

Dwalls90
Aug 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
Yep, I know I'm listening to every word you say on this matter.... afterall, you've got a good days usage of Android under your belt.

Please point to facts as to why Google provides more and better sync services. Saying that I didn't suffer through Android for "long enough" doesn't disqualify my opinion.

Believe it or not, but contacts can store data other than phone numbers. It's crazy I know. See recently, someone came up with this technology called "email". It's really good, you should try it! I've saved so much money on stamps.

Not when you sync through Google on OSX! It has a tendency to not only SHRINK contact photos (iCloud doesn't do that), remove photos and remove links/emails. Never had this issue a few months ago and while using iCloud. Please see the forum threads even from GOOGLE's own community regarding this issue.

BWAHAHAHAH...This is my favourite bit in the whole mess you've typed out. Who cares when it was released in the US...the vast majority of the world is NOT the US. What matters is that the GS2 was six month old technology at that point and that it what counts. In the Android world, six months is a long time.

Sorry, but I can only make judgement as to when products arrive in my country. Surely the Fandroids will be whining when people draw comparisons between the GS3 and the new iPhone ... "Oh but you can't compare them, the GS3 is three months old". So typical of Fandroids: When their phone is better, then it's a fair comparison, but when their phone is inferior, it's because it's ancient in the "Android world".

Also, count with me. June, July, August, September, October. That's five months, not six. But who's counting, right?

----------

^^ This

Can you direct me to a place where I can read up on how I can text my friend's Android tablet by texting his cell phone number, without being charged per text, or using a pseudo-phone number? I'm very curious.

----------

You can use and sync almost all Google services on iOS but I can't think of a single Apple service I can use on my Android.

Read earlier into the thread. I'm not sure why you would want Google on iOS:

- Calendars: Google and iCloud are about equal, but I noticed battery drain when using Google Sync
- Contacts: Google takes longer, and removes picture data, as well as other information. Not too mention it isn't integrated well with OS X compared to iCloud
- Music: iTunes Match > Google Music, there is no competition there.
- iMessage > Google Talk isn't used by any of my friends, family or co-workers. But they all have iPhones, so this is a no brainer, for me at least.

BoxerGT2.5
Aug 15, 2012, 09:27 AM
Can you direct me to a place where I can read up on how I can text my friend's Android tablet by texting his cell phone number, without being charged per text, or using a pseudo-phone number? I'm very curious.

----------

Google Talk. What does it matter if a number, SN, ect is used.

Dwalls90
Aug 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
Google Talk. What does it matter if a number, SN, ect is used.

Because it's not integrated at all. I can send a message from my iPad to any of my friends natively using an iPhone, iPad, Mac or iPod touch. They can reply to my phone number and it gets sent to my device.

No second app, no other contact list, just pure integration.

BoxerGT2.5
Aug 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
Because it's not integrated at all. I can send a message from my iPad to any of my friends natively using an iPhone, iPad, Mac or iPod touch. They can reply to my phone number and it gets sent to my device.

Google talk is integrated in the contact list.

vistadude
Aug 15, 2012, 06:56 PM
What if their ipad is at home and they are out, or what if they don't have wifi while walking around a town or city. They won't get your message.

SMS and Google Voice would continue to work since they are only for phones and most people keep their phone with them or close by.

Dwalls90
Aug 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
What if their ipad is at home and they are out, or what if they don't have wifi while walking around a town or city. They won't get your message.

SMS and Google Voice would continue to work since they are only for phones and most people keep their phone with them or close by.

You do realize that iPads have cellular connectivity? So that nullifies that point.

Duh, all phones have cellular connectivity, thus could receive messages on the go.

BoxerGT2.5
Aug 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
You do realize that iPads have cellular connectivity? So that nullifies that point.

Duh, all phones have cellular connectivity, thus could receive messages on the go.

The vast majority of the people with iPads/tablets are wifi only. Not sure if their are numbers out there, but no one I know pays for data on their tablet with the smart phones we have now.

Dwalls90
Aug 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
The vast majority of the people with iPads/tablets are wifi only. Not sure if their are numbers out there, but no one I know pays for data on their tablet with the smart phones we have now.

I'm just curious as to why the argument of tablet cellular connectivity was ever brought up?

My point is, that my iPad can send messages to phone numbers, and receive messages if people send them to my phone number.

This seems like a derail from the topic at hand.

BoxerGT2.5
Aug 16, 2012, 09:14 AM

I'm just curious as to why the argument of tablet cellular connectivity was ever brought up?

My point is, that my iPad can send messages to phone numbers, and receive messages if people send them to my phone number.

This seems like a derail from the topic at hand.

Are you serious????? :confused:

So your bone of contention is you can send messages to phone numbers vs. a user name? That makes or breaks it for you???? lol

Dwalls90
Aug 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
Are you serious????? :confused:

So your bone of contention is you can send messages to phone numbers vs. a user name? That makes or breaks it for you???? lol

My iPad has cellular connectivity. It's an option. If you don't have it on your tablet, too bad, not my problem. iMessage IS an asset for someone like myself.

Everyone in my professional services firm uses iPhones, as do my friends and family. I love being able to text from my iPad or Mac and having it all synced to my phone. I don't want to have my google account, logged in through a web browser, to use Google Talk. Or be tied down to using WiFi on my iPad.

And the concept between having iMessage and being able to blindly send a message to a phone number, is that it auto detects the number and will send it as an iMessage to the iPad and Mac.

On Android, I cannot go to my contacts, send a message to my friend's phone number, and he won't receive it on his phone, tablet or laptop.

But wait! Let me guess, I can finagle around with third party solutions on my Android phone, tablet and my computer for something that fixes this problem?:rolleyes:

Again, as the posts and original topic detail, this thread is to point out that for me, a user who has an iPad, Macbook Pro and iPhone, it is much more convenient and seamless to live in Apple's ecosystem than move to another. Maybe you prefer using your web browser and Google Talk, along with adding in another contact field (email address) and using another application on your mobile devices, as that is somehow more convenient for you. If so, great. Not for me.

ritmomundo
Aug 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
My iPad has cellular connectivity. It's an option. If you don't have it on your tablet, too bad, not my problem. iMessage IS an asset for someone like myself.

Everyone in my professional services firm uses iPhones, as do my friends and family. I love being able to text from my iPad or Mac and having it all synced to my phone. I don't want to have my google account, logged in through a web browser, to use Google Talk. Or be tied down to using WiFi on my iPad.

And the concept between having iMessage and being able to blindly send a message to a phone number, is that it auto detects the number and will send it as an iMessage to the iPad and Mac.

On Android, I cannot go to my contacts, send a message to my friend's phone number, and he won't receive it on his phone, tablet or laptop.

But wait! Let me guess, I can finagle around with third party solutions on my Android phone, tablet and my computer for something that fixes this problem?:rolleyes:

Again, as the posts and original topic detail, this thread is to point out that for me, a user who has an iPad, Macbook Pro and iPhone, it is much more convenient and seamless to live in Apple's ecosystem than move to another. Maybe you prefer using your web browser and Google Talk, along with adding in another contact field (email address) and using another application on your mobile devices, as that is somehow more convenient for you. If so, great. Not for me.

Dude, are you seriously still going on about this? Android doesn't have iMessage and never will. Case closed, get over it. Just please go back to your iphone and let this thread die.

Dwalls90
Aug 16, 2012, 02:36 PM
Dude, are you seriously still going on about this? Android doesn't have iMessage and never will. Case closed, get over it. Just please go back to your iphone and let this thread die.

Ironic that you're posting in it then? :p

ritmomundo
Aug 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
Ironic that you're posting in it then? :p

Edit: nevermind and unsubscribed.

Stuntman06
Aug 17, 2012, 02:41 PM

I was thinking the same thing about going from Android to iOS for my wife. I had great difficulty moving the contacts from my wife's old Galaxy Q (not a typo) to her new iPhone. I couldn't understand why Apple could not read the .vcf file that contained her old contacts. It seems that Apple and Android has some differences with regard to contacts.

What I finally managed to do is to import the .vcf file into Gmail and then export from Gmail to a .vcf file. When I did the export from Gmail, I had the option of making the exported file compatible with Apple. Perhaps, you need to do the same thing, but the other way around.

Dwalls90
Aug 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
I was thinking the same thing about going from Android to iOS for my wife. I had great difficulty moving the contacts from my wife's old Galaxy Q (not a typo) to her new iPhone. I couldn't understand why Apple could not read the .vcf file that contained her old contacts. It seems that Apple and Android has some differences with regard to contacts.

What I finally managed to do is to import the .vcf file into Gmail and then export from Gmail to a .vcf file. When I did the export from Gmail, I had the option of making the exported file compatible with Apple. Perhaps, you need to do the same thing, but the other way around.

It's pathetic that two of the largest technology companies couldn't find a simpler way to transfer contact cards, of all things!

I already gave up on Android. I was able to IMPORT contacts, but whenever Google would sync them, it keep deleting contacts, or their emails, photos, ect.

Back to iOS and all works seamlessly :apple:

daveathall
Aug 17, 2012, 03:43 PM
I have had a 3Gs, 4 and 4S, I have a 15" MBP an iPad and 2 iPods, I thought that I would try Android, I gave it a month rather than 1 day, although a bit awkward at first I have integrated my phone with my iDevices as much as I need, I did have the option to go back to my iPhone 4S but decided not too, I sold it and wouldn't swap back.

The only thing I miss is the remote app on my 4S for my Apple TV. No hardship really.

Piggyie
Oct 8, 2012, 06:59 PM

That's easy. We go back to where Apple wants us to go, not where we want to go. :-(

I have a lot of Apple technology but I'm not a fanboy. I use what gets the job done the way I like it. I spent 5 years using Macs and I'm glad to be back on a Windows 7 laptop. I've got an iPhone 4S (my 3rd iPhone) and iPad 3 (my 2nd iPad). I'm trading in my company Dell for a MacBook Pro that I intend to run Windows 100% of the time. I'll get workstation class hardware in a better form factor than I can from Dell not to mention a far superior (non-Retina) display.

I've been thinking of switching from AT&T iPhone 4S to Verizon Samsung Galaxy III S for a while but have not done it. I'm interested in Windows 8 mobile and can wait to see how it all works.

I think the main issue is you are trying to do things like you did in iOS vs the way it's done on Android.

I had the same problem coming too iOS. For example just recently I had a member here help me figure out how to take a PDF from an email and email it too someone else. Basically use drop box to save it and adobe reader to send it via email. I was used to just saving the PDF then attaching it like you would on a PC with Android.

It's like an adult learning a new language. They/we are constantly trying to convert it back to our native language.

This is so true. When I first started working with Macs I had no shortage of reasons I didn't like it but I stuck with it long enough to learn the pros and cons. I had to unlearn years of working with Windows and truly needed to think differently. 5 Years later I'm back on Windows because I want to but I don't bash Macs. There are things each OS does great and things they do poorly.

Sometimes Windows has too many choices and options whereas sometimes Mac/iOS has too few choices and options. If I want it my way then I'll have to build my own OS.... PiggyieOS, anyone??

Reminds me of religious wars between Linux and Windows. As a consultant I live and work with clients in both worlds. There are different strengths and weaknesses. Does your ladder do everything you need? Sometimes you need one taller, sometimes shorter; aluminum or wood, telescoping or A-frame. There isn't a perfect ladder, either!

ChazUK
Dec 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
OP, have you tried re-using Google music now it has iTunes match like functionality?

Savor
Dec 10, 2013, 01:19 AM
Another one of those "I tried Android for a day using a handset that was released from God knows when and I went back to an iPhone!" thread.

My only major qualm with Android phones is they generally have one physical button to wake it up which is the power button. And that wears out eventually. I have to install no lock on my Nexus One and Motion Action on my HTC One to keep me from pressing the power button a hundred times per day.

Android has a steeper learning curve. But once you take the time to know what you are doing and to know what you really want, the process becomes a bit smoother. Not perfect, but it gets better.

oplix
Dec 10, 2013, 10:15 AM
should have bought a moto x.