Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
You get your new Macbook Air out of the box, it has a 80% battery charge.

What do you do?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You get your new Macbook Air out of the box, it has a 80% battery charge.

What do you do?
No conditioning is necessary. Just plug it in and fully charge it. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
AppleCare support recommends that if you leave your Mac plugged in most of the time, unplug it every 2 or 3 days and run on battery down to somewhere around 50%, then plug it back in. That keeps the electrons moving.

Isn't this considered a form of calibration?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Isn't this considered a form of calibration?
No, it's simply exercising the battery, and only suggested if you don't regularly run on battery power. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

For the steps to calibration for older Mac notebooks, read the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
No, it's simply exercising the battery, and only suggested if you don't regularly run on battery power. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

For the steps to calibration for older Mac notebooks, read the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ.

Ok then. So what kind of "exercises" other than the one I quoted, need to be done?

I'm coming from a Powerbook battery that only has 655 cycles but can't last longer than 20 seconds without the AC cord. The experience has made me very paranoid about batteries and making sure I'm doing it right.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok then. So what kind of "exercises" other than the one I quoted, need to be done?
None. As long as you run on battery power regularly and don't run exclusively on AC power, there's nothing else you need to do. Just relax and enjoy your Mac.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm coming from a Powerbook battery that only has 655 cycles but can't last longer than 20 seconds without the AC cord. The experience has made me very paranoid about batteries and making sure I'm doing it right.

Mac batteries have changed; three years ago they were rated for 300 charges, but today they are rated for 1000 charges, so with a new MBA the 655 charges wouldn't be a problem.

The rule: Don't use the batteries unnecessarily (but don't go panicky about it, because you have 1000 charges). You can leave the MBA plugged in all the time, but then you should run it on batteries about once a month.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
That's good news. 1001 cycles until 80% is really hard for me to believe. Is yours actually like that?

I think my Powerbook was at 50% by like 200 cycles.

----------

The rule: Don't use the batteries unnecessarily (but don't go panicky about it, because you have 1000 charges). You can leave the MBA plugged in all the time, but then you should run it on batteries about once a month.

This is what I wanted to know, thanks.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
This is what I do with all my toys including my Air.

Fully charge it.
Use it until battery drops to 10%
Fully charge it.
Use it until battery drop to 50%
Fully Charge it.

After the third charge I do as I please.

Then again, I don't exactly keep my toys long enough to see how the Battery is. LOL My 32GB BlackBerry PlayBook currently holds that record and counting.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010

Fully charge it.
Fully charge it.
Fully Charge it.

Then again, I don't exactly keep my toys long enough to see how the Battery is. LOL My 32GB BlackBerry PlayBook currently holds that record and counting.

I will probably do something like this.

Having any portability whatsoever will be soooo refreshing. I've forgotten what it feels like. I've had to carry my cord around for a long, long time. I've just gotta find better things to do on the internet than Macrumors to make it worth it. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Fully charge it.
Fully charge it.
Fully Charge it.

That is not necessary and not recommended by Apple. You're putting unnecessary cycles on your battery and it won't have any effect on its health or performance.
I will probably do something like this.
If you do, you're putting unnecessary cycles on your battery. There is no conditioning or calibration necessary or recommended by Apple for current Mac notebook batteries. Old habits seem hard to change for some people.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
That is not necessary and not recommended by Apple. You're putting unnecessary cycles on your battery and it won't have any effect on its health or performance.

If you do, you're putting unnecessary cycles on your battery. There is no conditioning or calibration necessary or recommended by Apple for current Mac notebook batteries. Old habits seem hard to change for some people.

Ok maybe I won't do that. LOL.

I'm glad I asked this question though. It seems things should be generally A-OK.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

Fully charge it.
Fully charge it.
Fully Charge it.

Sadly, it is posts like this that too many people who desperately think they have to do something, read and follow, even though no explanation is included for why the poster does this, where this information came from or if it applies (it doesn't) to an MBA. Posts with links to Apple are ignored while people follow undocumented instructions from posts by strangers. The clean install threads are similar. No documentation yet people blindly follow the advice, spending hours rebuilding their Macs, occasionally messing them up, all because the OP said it resulted in a 'snapper' system.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA

This link is very helpful, thanks!

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Sadly, it is posts like this that too many people who desperately think they have to do something, read and follow, even though no explanation is included for why the poster does this, where this information came from or if it applies (it doesn't) to an MBA. Posts with links to Apple are ignored while people follow undocumented instructions from posts by strangers. The clean install threads are similar. No documentation yet people blindly follow the advice, spending hours rebuilding their Macs, occasionally messing them up, all because the OP said it resulted in a 'snapper' system.

In my defence I didn't say it's necessary nor it's the way to properly condition the battery. I just got used to it and as I said, I don't keep my toys long enough.

I thought I posted where I got this tip from, I got it here long time ago probably when I first bought my iPod.

It is a public forum, as they say take it with a grain of salt.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I thought I posted where I got this tip from, I got it here long time ago probably when I first bought my iPod.
iPod batteries and Mac notebook batteries are not the same, and the proper maintenance of them is not the same.

seared.ahi

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
In my defence I didn't say it's necessary nor it's the way to properly condition the battery. I just got used to it and as I said, I don't keep my toys long enough.

It is a public forum, as they say take it with a grain of salt.

I agree. It seems like a lot of old timers on this forum think they have the right to disparage anyone who asks a question they think is stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.