Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I couldn't find a whole lot of material that talked about installations of OS X 10.8 on the oldest supported Macs, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an upgrade. Felt safe doing it, since I have a bootable backup of my Snow Leopard installation sitting on my external via SuperDuper.

I'm currently using 10.8 on a Macbook Pro 3,1 (2007), which is the oldest Macbook Pro officially supported.

My impressions so far:
+ Like the UI changes, generally feels like a more "slick" operating system.
+ Especially the scrollbars, those are nice and unobtrusive.
+ I know this is a feature from Lion, but I like that all my stuff re-opens at basically the point I was at when I restart or shutdown.
+ Javascript performance feels smoother, although this could just be an update in Google Chrome.
+ I like the concept of iCloud, although I haven't had much of a chance to use it. I own a WiFi iPad, but not an iPhone.
+ Another Lion thing, but Mail looks lovely.
+ I like Notifications, and that's the main reason I upgraded, but I don't get many of them, so this doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.
- Generally, everything feels a hair slower than it did in Snow Leopard. Probably because my machine is 5 years old.
- My computer randomly shut itself off while I was at the coffee shop today. Had plenty of battery power left. Maybe this will be resolved in an update, but it doesn't inspire confidence.
- I can't resize icons directly in a finder window with that slider like I used to be able to.
- I'm missing my little "pill" button in the upper right. I use this constantly at work when I want to open a couple windows and drag-n-drop from one to the other: I'll have a finder "browser" window open, click the pill to turn it into a "basic" window, then right-click the title bar to select a folder higher up in the directory, which also opens as a "basic" window. This is killing me.
- Mission Control doesn't reveal minimized windows; you have to use the App Expose to get those (didn't used to have to).
- This isn't really the Operating System's fault, but I feel myself wanting to use all the gestures available, and my trackpad doesn't support anything more than two-finger scrolling. I love multitouch gestures on my iPad, and it's sort of frustrating to not have them here. I don't see much utility in having to carry around a $70 Magic Trackpad either.

So generally, I want to like it, but it's just not working for me as well as Snow Leopard did. I'll give it another day, but I'm probably going to revert to my 10.6 installation and chalk it up to having an old Mac. She started on 10.4 Tiger when I first bought her, so I guess it's cool that she's able to make it this far, but 10.6 put her at her best.

I have a newer iMac at work that I might use it on, but then again, probably not, since I'll still be missing my "pill." Plus, I'm on Outlook at work, so all the notifications stuff won't work at all (only works with native Apple apps thus far). At least it was only a waste of $20.

Anyone else have experiences with older (supported) Macs they wanna share? We already have a thread for the unsupported ones. ;)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
- I can't resize icons directly in a finder window with that slider like I used to be able to.

View -> Show Status Bar

- I'm missing my little "pill" button in the upper right. I use this constantly at work when I want to open a couple windows and drag-n-drop from one to the other: I'll have a finder "browser" window open, click the pill to turn it into a "basic" window, then right-click the title bar to select a folder higher up in the directory, which also opens as a "basic" window. This is killing me.
View -> Hide Tool Bar
View -> Show Tool Bar

You can define a systemwide keyboard shortcut for toggling between the two states if you want to, by going into System Preferences ->Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts. Personally, I like to use ^⎇⌘B . Comes in handy for other apps like Preview.app as well.

Hope this is of any help to you. :)

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
View -> Show Status Bar

View -> Hide Tool Bar
View -> Show Tool Bar

Hope this is of any help to you. :)

Thank you. Now I can at least use this at work. :) I'm gonna keep using it on my laptop for now, see if the slowness seems apparent or see if the random shutdown was a fluke or the norm.

There is a major wifi bug that affects the MacBook Pro 3,1 (2007). Read all about it here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
I only glanced, but this seems to be a problem with AirPlay and using Time Capsule on old Macs running 10.8. I didn't think the old Macs would be supporting AirPlay anyway, and I don't have a Time Capsule, but good to know.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Thank you. Now I can at least use this at work. :) I'm gonna keep using it on my laptop for now, see if the slowness seems apparent or see if the random shutdown was a fluke or the norm.

I only glanced, but this seems to be a problem with AirPlay and using Time Capsule on old Macs running 10.8. I didn't think the old Macs would be supporting AirPlay anyway, and I don't have a Time Capsule, but good to know.

Yep, Airplay mirroring doesn't work on any Mac pre-2011.

I believe the older Macs can use Airplay in iTunes to view movies, but I'm not entirely sure on that.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
Supdate.

I'm working on my Mac right now and experienced the random shutdown thing again. Seems to happen once the battery gets down a certain percentage, or the computer gets to a certain temperature...not sure which. All I know is I can't work on this thing unless the power is plugged in if I'm at less than 60% power.

I think it goes without saying, that's unacceptable, and I'm going back to Snow Leopard. I wouldn't recommend any 2007-era Macbook Pro owners to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.