PDA

View Full Version : PowerPC apps no longer supported?

bailmdb
Aug 4, 2012, 09:58 PM
I'm trying to launch Jin, a program that allows me to access the Internet Chess Club (ICC) and it has a circle with a line through it. When I click it I get a message that says, "You can't open the application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." So does that mean that any app that launched this way is now completely unusable? Any options for me? My old Diablo 2 online launcher won't work either. Thoughts? Thanks.

mrapplegate
Aug 4, 2012, 10:00 PM
PowerPC was no longer supported with Lion. ML is the same. You can't run PowerPC apps with ML.

GGJstudios
Aug 4, 2012, 10:01 PM
So does that mean that any app that launched this way is now completely unusable?
Yep.

Icy1007
Aug 4, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm trying to launch Jin, a program that allows me to access the Internet Chess Club (ICC) and it has a circle with a line through it. When I click it I get a message that says, "You can't open the application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." So does that mean that any app that launched this way is now completely unusable? Any options for me? My old Diablo 2 online launcher won't work either. Thoughts? Thanks.

PowerPC apps haven't been supported since Rosetta was removed when Lion was released last July.

No there is no way around it. You'll have to find either an updated Intel version of the app you want to use or you'll have to find an alternative app.

McGiord
Aug 4, 2012, 10:11 PM
Keep a Snow Leopard partition or disk to run them when needed.
Make a Snow Leopard virtual machine.
Find equivalent apps that run in Mountain Lion.

Icy1007
Aug 4, 2012, 10:16 PM
Keep a Snow Leopard partition or disk to run them when needed.
Make a Snow Leopard virtual machine.
Find equivalent apps that run in Mountain Lion.

Only Snow Leopard Server can be used in a VM.

eagandale4114
Aug 4, 2012, 11:07 PM

Welcome to 2011.

McGiord
Aug 5, 2012, 09:35 AM

Many other OS can be installed in a VM, and depending on the virtualization software you are using you can do several things.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 09:38 AM

Legally you are correct - people have hacked virtualization programs to get it to work. You can also virtualize Lion and Mountain Lion client (but only with the same OS as a host.

McGiord
Aug 5, 2012, 09:56 AM
Legally you are correct - people have hacked virtualization programs to get it to work. You can also virtualize Lion and Mountain Lion client (but only with the same OS as a host.
I think I read online that Leopard is allowed also.
I haven't read the long text of the user agreement, but i think it refers to running the OS in an apple branded hardware, therefore if you are running it in a virtual machine on a Mac, why would that be illegal????
One thing is not complying with the agreement and another breaking the law

pdjudd
Aug 5, 2012, 10:11 AM
I think I read online that Leopard is allowed also.

Maybe Leopard Server. Not client though. They only changed the terms (and very limited) for Lion.

I haven't read the long text of the user agreement, but i think it refers to running the OS in an apple branded hardware, therefore if you are running it in a virtual machine on a Mac, why would that be illegal????

The terms specifically outline what virtualization rights you are allowed. Read the SLA - it is very clear.

One thing is not complying with the agreement and another breaking the law
They are contracts. If you don't plan on obeying them why should you agree to them?

Aug 5, 2012, 01:33 PM
Well, you may try the other ICC solutions, including a Java client:

http://www.chessclub.com/download-software

Otherwise, if the app was really old (for OS 9 and earlier), use Sheepshaver.

MichaelLAX
Sep 9, 2012, 12:07 PM
Full Snow Leopard Installation Instructions here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439)

NOTE: Currently STEP ONE must be completed on a computer running Snow Leopard or Lion and then the modified Snow Leopard Install image file can be moved over to the Mountain Lion computer and the remaining steps completed there.

For SheepShaver (and Chubby Bunny) see my comments and helpful links here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14927170#post14927170)

[click on images to enlarge]