Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
I just checked the ML forum and the first thing i noticed was the sticky thread about how to clean install mountain lion. Is it really necessary? what are you pros and cons of clean install.

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not necessary, but some have claimed that it resolved problems they encountered after updating. It won't hurt to update first, then only perform a clean install if you encounter any problems. It appears those with problems with a regular update are very much in the minority.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I usually perform a clean install, but this time around I did all three Macs as upgrades..No issues or problems to report, a very quick hassle free process. A few Apps had to go, but hat's normal.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
I just checked the ML forum and the first thing i noticed was the sticky thread about how to clean install mountain lion. Is it really necessary? what are you pros and cons of clean install.

Thanks

No, a clean install is not needed, therefore listing pros and cons isn't needed either. There are plenty of threads with supposed pros and cons if you want to waste your time reading them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.