PDA

View Full Version : Battery drain!

doobybiggs
Aug 5, 2012, 11:15 PM
I know there have been reports of this and Apple I guess is working on it ...

Ever since I downloaded ML on release my better life on my MBP 2011 has probably dropped to about 60% of the length it use to be before ML.

Are there any quick fixes for this or are we sitting around waiting on Apple to patch it?:confused:

whyapplewhy
Aug 6, 2012, 12:09 AM
I don't know but I am experiencing the same thing.

Troneas
Aug 6, 2012, 01:01 AM
this is the latest ive read on the matter:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/03/os_x_mountain_lion_users_reporting_laptop_battery_life_issues.html

doobybiggs
Aug 6, 2012, 10:57 AM
well hopefully Apple resolves this soon, cause this is F'in ridiculous. I have lost 10% battery in about 30 minutes of browsing the web. Plus another 15% for sleeping over the night when I normally lost like 5%

I may just got back to Lion where I did not have this problem ...

merrickdrfc
Aug 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
I've definitely seen a drop in battery life on my 2011 13" MBA.

Went from 100% to 0 with about 3 hours usage today doing no more than occasional safari and iOS development.

Illuminated
Aug 6, 2012, 11:49 AM
Seems as if my MBA 11" is telling me its fully charged at 99%? It doesn't go up to a full charge of 100%!

The battery also lasts only 2 hours, at most 3. It's supposed to last up to +/- 5 hours...

Aggravating.

fins831
Aug 6, 2012, 12:02 PM
today i got to work at 10am, its now 1, and I have used my laptop for about 60 min and I have lost 35 percent....and by use I have had excel and safari open and thats it...no spikes in CPU, nothing running in background....just terrible battery

GGJstudios
Aug 6, 2012, 12:04 PM
Seems as if my MBA 11" is telling me its fully charged at 99%? It doesn't go up to a full charge of 100%!
It's normal that your battery may stop charging between 93-99%. For details, read the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

doobybiggs
Aug 6, 2012, 12:13 PM

Went from 100% to 0 with about 3 hours usage today doing no more than occasional safari and iOS development.

yep that is about the battery life I am getting ... about 60% of what I was with Lion :mad:

merrickdrfc
Aug 6, 2012, 05:13 PM
yep that is about the battery life I am getting ... about 60% of what I was with Lion :mad:

I am actually contemplating going back to 10.7, I never had any problems with it on my MBA, and the improvements on 10.8 aren't worth the loss in battery life.

wassup121
Aug 6, 2012, 06:30 PM
this is pathetic!
I just lost 10% in 30min of safari browsing. no videos or downloading. just reading macrumors.

FIX PLEASE APPLE!

doobybiggs
Aug 6, 2012, 11:31 PM
I am actually contemplating going back to 10.7, I never had any problems with it on my MBA, and the improvements on 10.8 aren't worth the loss in battery life.

yep I am with you on that ..

eric.john
Aug 7, 2012, 10:20 AM
i'm on the same boat as everyone else. I love all the feature that ML provides, but this is the only draw back and makes me wish i can still keep SL battery life i once had.

doobybiggs
Aug 7, 2012, 12:30 PM
been working on my laptop typing and surfing the web a little since 10 ... is it now 1230 and my battery life is already on 54%.

normally it would be down to about 70-80% from what I have just been doing.:rolleyes:

prisstratton
Aug 7, 2012, 01:37 PM
I know there have been reports of this and Apple I guess is working on it ...

Ever since I downloaded ML on release my better life on my MBP 2011 has probably dropped to about 60% of the length it use to be before ML.

Are there any quick fixes for this or are we sitting around waiting on Apple to patch it?:confused:

I had no problem with Lion, but I am definitely seeing a drop very similar to what you are experiencing.

stonefeet
Aug 7, 2012, 02:03 PM

same model same exact battery life time, although i'm using it very very very heavily for those 3 hours (working from home) with vmware fusion running multiple apps.

glad i'm not the only one.

Wowzera
Aug 7, 2012, 02:13 PM
I am experiencing battery drain too. MBA 13" 2012. It's draining more doing the same tasks (compared to Lion).

GoGamecocks
Aug 7, 2012, 05:16 PM
Just updated my early 2011 MBP and no battery issues thus far. Will update if I experience any.

ggpike
Aug 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
My mid 2010 MBP just went from 100% to 53% within 20 minutes. I had Safari, Tweetdeck and Calendar running. This is absolutely ridiculous.

doobybiggs
Aug 7, 2012, 09:41 PM
My mid 2010 MBP just went from 100% to 53% within 20 minutes. I had Safari, Tweetdeck and Calendar running. This is absolutely ridiculous.

yep there is something seriously wrong with ML and a piece of code somewhere :mad:

Spink10
Aug 7, 2012, 09:45 PM
I cannot provide hard facts on the difference between Lion and ML - but there is a noticeable difference in battery life.

dlsife
Aug 7, 2012, 10:12 PM
I really hope that Apple releases a fix soon. This is ridiculous.

Prime85
Aug 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
My battery surprising seems better now then it was in Lion. Did you all do a clean install?

doobybiggs
Aug 7, 2012, 10:44 PM
My battery surprising seems better now then it was in Lion. Did you all do a clean install?

yep, a few times ...

jtcedinburgh
Aug 8, 2012, 05:44 AM
Mmmm... been paying attention to this myself.

I did a full charge to 0% on Monday/Tuesday, with brightness at around 2/3 and doing no more that light surfing. Used it from 1300-1615 on Monday and it dropped to 53%, then down to 48% overnight and from 0830-1130 yesterday at which point the automatic sleep kicked in at a reported 0% capacity.

By my reckoning, that's 6.15 on a full charge. Seems about right, allowing for the overnight sleep. So I don' t think I have a problem here, but I am running Integrated on the MBPR (it is more than smooth enough at 2880x1800 res to not bother with the Discrete card) and I've also disabled suspend ram to disk via terminal.

This is all on a MBPR 2.3 with 16Gb and 256Gb.

Tander
Aug 8, 2012, 06:06 AM
This would explain my crap battery life. I had the laptop on full charge leaving my office yesterday at around 17:00. Put it into sleep and opened it again this morning at 9 am or so. Around 11am it was complaining of low battery. So charging it up now full and will monitor.

If this is the case, I am going back to Lion. :(

prisstratton
Aug 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
I did a clean install over the weekend followed by a battery calibration - it did not help at all. Still only 4.5 hours of use and that was not really giving it a workout (mainly Safari, Mail, TextEdit and Preview).

iOrbit
Aug 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
my battery life has been very inconsistent!

i upgraded to mountain lion, and very shortly after swapped in my first ssd with 16gb ram.

at first, i noticed longer battery life, up to7 hours with more demanding brightness settings etc. exceeding 7 on what i had to do before in order to 'get 7'

now, my battery is like this, but only some times.

just as much on other times, my battery can report 2hr53min battery life!

im not sure why its inconsistent..

is it a fault in the battery recognition?

late 2011 MBP

Shotgun OS
Aug 14, 2012, 06:19 PM
Bought my MBP 15" a week ago and it came with Mountain Lion, and I can barely get two hours of normal use out of it. It's not going to affect me much because I mainly use it at my desk, but its crappy battery life nonetheless.

bp1000
Aug 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Ive noticed when i unplug it from 100% it falls to 99% within a few mins. Before it would stick on 100% for quite some time.

I haven't noticed a drastic drop in battery life on my MBA 2011 running ML. When i unplug now i seem to report around 9hr 30min, sometimes over 10hr from 100%. On lion this was 11hrs.

Now i get around 5hrs 30min of browsing and web dev. Before it wasnt uncommon for my mba to last an 8 hour day on a full charge providing i let it sleep for my lunch and didnt play music or video.

So small drop but not drastic.

eternalife
Aug 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Love Mountain Lion! Hate the battery drain!!! I'm dropping about 30% per hour. This is about 1/2 of what I got with Lion. I really hope they fix this on in the .1 release. It's made my MBP almost useless as a laptop (at least the way I use it).

prisstratton
Aug 24, 2012, 06:15 PM
I did a clean install over the weekend followed by a battery calibration - it did not help at all. Still only 4.5 hours of use and that was not really giving it a workout (mainly Safari, Mail, TextEdit and Preview).

Well, I installed the 10.8.1 release and while it did increase the battery time from 4.5 to 5.75 hours, it is still not as good as under Lion. I will try a battery calibration and SMC reset and then re-test. If there is no more improvement I will be moving back to Lion. I will post the results of my re-test.

GGJstudios
Aug 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
I will try a battery calibration and SMC reset and then re-test.
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Also, resetting SMC will not increase your battery life. There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

TC25
Aug 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
I will try a battery calibration and SMC reset and then re-test.
For all the good a calibration and SMC reset will do, you might as well sacrifice a chicken while you're at it.

prisstratton
Aug 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
I am merely trying to report my experience with a problem that is a major bug bear for many users. The things I have suggested that I will perform are an attempt to cover all of the bases and no doubt would have been recommended by other individuals on this forum.

I am not particularly expecting anything to come from these procedures and I have pretty much resigned myself to switching back to Lion, but, I am trying to give Mountain Lion every chance before doing that.

Thank you for your input, but I have heard these all before.

Chicken sacrifice coming up...................................

HCO
Aug 25, 2012, 12:34 AM
i have a new macbook pro 13inch and with the battery fuly charged it says only 3:50 hours but on the apple website it say it has the 7 hours on it as well. im on a mcbook pro 2012 mountain loin

GGJstudios
Aug 25, 2012, 01:11 AM
i have a new macbook pro 13inch and with the battery fuly charged it says only 3:50 hours but on the apple website it say it has the 7 hours on it as well. im on a mcbook pro 2012 mountain loin
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions: