PDA

View Full Version : Is a MBA 11 too small to work in iBooks Author?

Ibamac
Aug 5, 2012, 11:35 PM
Hi,

I need to buy a Mac for access to iBooks Author. I've been looking at the 11" MBA because I already have a pc 12.5" laptop and a desktop and I figured the smallest form factor could come in handy as a second laptop for general computing - word processing, email and websites. I don't have the room for a second desktop, nor do I want to buy a monitor (ruling out the mini). I figure I can do the video and photo work (and most of the drafting) on the PC's I already have, but will have to use a Mac to format books in iBooks Author. (I have an iPad to review them.)

What do you think? Is the 11" too small to work in iBooks Author? I don't currently need a computer, but I want to publish textbooks for iBooks so I need a Mac. An expensive dilemma. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Lunchb0x8
Aug 5, 2012, 11:59 PM
If the 12.5" PC you have isn't uncomfortable for you to type on for longer than say 1 hour at a time, then the 11" Air should be OK.

Given you can get a 13" for about the same price (depending on spec) I recommend if you can, go to an Apple store/reseller and spend a few minutes typing on each and see which one you prefer.

MacLappy
Aug 6, 2012, 05:19 AM
Hi,
I need to buy a Mac for access to iBooks Author. I've been looking at the 11" MBA. Is the 11" too small to work in iBooks Author? Any thoughts?

I have the mid 2012 macbook air 11", I have played around with ibook Author and have not encountered any problems so far. Fits the screen really well, especially in full screen mode. Hope that helps. :D

Ibamac
Aug 6, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thank you. Any thoughts on i5 vs. i7 and 128gb vs. 256gb? I'll definitely go for the 8gb ram. I read that saving versions slows the computer down significantly, but that might be the program and not the set-up.

Thanks again!

theSeb
Aug 6, 2012, 09:45 AM
Thank you. Any thoughts on i5 vs. i7 and 128gb vs. 256gb? I'll definitely go for the 8gb ram. I read that saving versions slows the computer down significantly, but that might be the program and not the set-up.

Thanks again!I don't know where you've read that? It's simply not true

Ibamac
Aug 6, 2012, 09:52 AM
I don't know where you've read that? It's simply not true

Maybe the issue has been fixed. Good to hear.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3718985?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3789118?start=0&tstart=0

theSeb
Aug 6, 2012, 10:08 AM
Maybe the issue has been fixed. Good to hear.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3718985?start=0&tstart=0

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3789118?start=0&tstart=0

My book is currently 50 pages and I've not seen any slow downs. I'll report back tomorrow, since I'll be adding all of the videos tonight. This is using a 2011 MBA so the SSD is slower than in the 2012 MBA. I would expect to see better performance on the 2012 models.

Ibamac
Aug 6, 2012, 10:49 AM
Would you mind letting me know what specs you have on your 2011 MBA? It's more than adequate, right?

Thank you.

theSeb
Aug 6, 2012, 06:15 PM
Would you mind letting me know what specs you have on your 2011 MBA? It's more than adequate, right?

Thank you.

i7 1.8 GHz / 4 GB RAM/ 256 GB storage

The i5 is more than adequate for working with iBooks Author. It's really not an intensive app at all. I bought the "ultimate" 2011 spec, but that wasn't for iBooks Author.

The only thing to think about is whether the 11" screen would suit you. I personally prefer seeing a couple of pages at a time and I like to have the styles drawer and the inspector visible, so I end up connecting the MBA to an external monitor, but for typing on the road the 13" is great.

I would go into an Apple store and check out whether the 11" screen will be ok for you

Ibamac
Aug 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you. You're right. I need to go to a store and spend some time with the keyboard and in front of the screen. Almost bought a refurbished 13" June 2012 i7 Macbook Pro today, but realized I really need to go see them in person. If I do end up using the laptop for more than IBA and carrying it around, I would strongly prefer the lighter models.

Btw, to familiarize myself with iBooks Author, I'm trying www.macincloud.com. Figured it was worth the $20. That way I can see what it looks like on a 24" desktop all-in-one, the 12.5" laptop and the <11" iPad, and learn the software so that I can hit the ground running.

Thanks again for your help.