PDA

View Full Version : I want a new iBook 800. Help!

jrv3034
Nov 11, 2002, 04:25 PM
Hello, all! I'm looking into getting my fiancée a new 12" iBook 800mhz combo for the holidays, and I'm trying to find the best deals on the net. Apple store (I think) is reliable, but at MacMall I can get 256 megs of ram for $40 installed. Should I go for the "free" ram, or hold out and get a 512mb module later on for cheaper? Then, they both charge for tax as well as shipping, right? I've heard of places (Oregon, or Utah maybe?) that sell them tax-free. Is this true? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm in no hurry, since I need it by Christmas, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jrv3034:D

dagegen
Nov 11, 2002, 04:54 PM
Depends of course if you need 640MB Ram? Fitting ram is a snap, seriously, a monkey could do it. Don't under any circumstances by memory from Apple, it's always way too expensive. I bought 512MB here in Germany for 129 EUR (roughly 120 USD), fitted it myself. I'd offer you the 128 I've got spare but UPS would charge more than 40 bucks to get it to you...

I bought my i-book through apple europe, but search out the best deal, maybe ask Macmall on a price with 512 extra?

email me (allan@nme.com) if i can help you further

RBMaraman
Nov 11, 2002, 08:51 PM
Don't forget about Apple's current promotion, "Double The RAM For Only $40." This promotion is available on all models.

As for where to buy your iBook, I'd recommend getting it straight from Apple (online, store, or authorized reseller). My mom and brother recently bought 17" iMacs. My mom got hers from MacMall, and my Brother got his from the Apple online store. Both said 1 week shipping. My brother got his in exactly 1 week, and my mom get hers 5 weeks later.

jrv3034
Nov 12, 2002, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I figured the Apple store was more reliable, plus their Apple loan has better APR (9%) than MacMall's (14%). I was hoping there was somewhere that I could get it tax-free, but the apple store is probably my best bet. Another question... Is it advisable to get the Applecare 3 year warranty? Do they do a good job?

Oh, and I forgot to ask: How does Jaguar run on an iBook? Is it smooth, or does it lag in opening programs. I'm not expecting it to work like a Dual 1.25, but is it annoyingly slow? It will mostly be used for internet and spreadsheets.

Thanks again,
jrv3034

pilotgi
Nov 12, 2002, 10:25 AM
The new 800Mhz iBooks just came out so there's probably not much feedback yet. They did upgrade the vram to 32MB so it will be able to utilize Quartz Extreme, a technology that offloads the graphics work from the main cpu to the graphics processor. Actually, the 700Mhz iBook could use QE, but with twice the vram in the new one, it ought to work a lot better.

The new iBook should run OSX 10.2.2 faster than any previous model, especially with 640MB of ram. I just ordered one myself from Macmall and I payed no taxes.

pgwalsh
Nov 12, 2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by jrv3034
Oh, and I forgot to ask: How does Jaguar run on an iBook? Is it smooth, or does it lag in opening programs. I'm not expecting it to work like a Dual 1.25, but is it annoyingly slow? It will mostly be used for internet and spreadsheets.

Thanks again,
jrv3034

I'm also interested in how OS X performs on the new iBook 800 with 32 mb of ram if anyone can give a comparison.

dagegen
Nov 12, 2002, 01:42 PM
my i-book is a g3 600 with 640MB ram Jaguar, at work I have a PC with Intel P3 933 and 512MB ram Win 2000. I've run lots of different stuff on both and reckon that they are evenly matched on the sort of stuff that i do: Oracle database (little ones!!), Cold Fusion, spreadsheets, word docs, photoshop (but nothing tough as I'm no artist) . DVD's play great on the i-book and will be even better with the extra video ram. Unless you need REAL power the i-book is great and the battery lasts so well too.

pgwalsh
Nov 12, 2002, 02:07 PM
I guess my question should be how does it perform with Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator and Golive. GoLive and Illustrator seem to be real memory hogs and dogs. Anyone with experience using these apps on the iBook 800 with the 32 mb file. I know I'm asking alot considering it just came out.

Mr. Anderson
Nov 12, 2002, 02:35 PM
If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm in no hurry, since I need it by Christmas, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't bought it yet, try http://www.generalcybernetics.com/apple.html Its sales are done by Backtothemac - just call up and ask for Chuck and tell him you found out about his site from MacRumors - he'll get you a great deal, one you'll have a hard time beating. Oh, and get the AppleCare, you'll be much happier you did, its well worth it.

Good luck,

D

jrv3034
Nov 13, 2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks, folks. I haven't bought it yet, mainly cause I want to test drive it at CompUSA to see the speed of OSX on it. Dukestreet, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out when I've convinced myself that I.. I mean, my fiancée needs it;)

zac4mac
Nov 27, 2002, 08:52 AM
I just sold my 600 Combo 2 weeks ago and replaced it with an 800 Combo at Denver's newest Apple Store opening. Received(yesterday) my 512MB SODIMM CL2(2-2-2) from MemoryX - 84 bucks shipped.

This iBook feels close to twice as fast and it was 100 bucks less than a refurb 7 months ago.
I can now actually "use" PhotoShop, iTunes visuals are almost as fast as on my duallie - 550 Mystic. I'll give it a good workout over the holidays and try to get back.

Zack

lmalave
Nov 27, 2002, 11:10 AM
Thanks, folks. I haven't bought it yet, mainly cause I want to test drive it at CompUSA to see the speed of OSX on it. Dukestreet, thanks for the tip! I'll check it out when I've convinced myself that I.. I mean, my fiancée needs it;)

iBook runs Jaguar great with only 384MB. As for where to buy it, most resellers don't charge sales tax, so you'll save right there. I ordered from ClubMac.com, for example, and got the extra 256MB RAM for the $40 installation charge. Got next-day delivery, too. Plus they threw in an Epson printer free after rebates (I needed one anyway since my old Epson printer only had a parallel port connection). All the resellers seem to have about the same deals, so I would just shop around for the one that charges less for shipping (or for the loan, since it sounds like you're getting one). And make sure they don't charge sales tax!

lmalave
Nov 27, 2002, 11:16 AM

Wait...you live in NYC! You're going to test-drive at CompUSA when you could go to the Apple SoHo store?!!? Lot's more to see at the SoHo store :) You can see how all the different iBook models feel, and also check out the new TiBooks (just as a basis for comparison). The SoHo store is where i test-drove the new iBook, and I was surprised by how fast even the 700MHz model was, even with only 128MB RAM. Like I said, though, I ended up ordering the 800MHz model from a reseller...

SilvorX
Nov 27, 2002, 08:49 PM
i should have received a notice that my ibook is ready to pick up on monday....but ive been checking my email non stop since sunday and no email from them yet :(...im going to wait 2 weeks and if still no email from them, i'll think about buying from macwarehouse