PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye iPad. Hello Galaxy Note 10.1!

NZed
Aug 6, 2012, 11:34 AM
qbgBxr4H59A

Well, its amazing.

Oohara
Aug 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
I love the multiscreen thing, makes it so much more of a real productivity tool. It's really 1 up on the iPad there.

I just wish it wouldn't look like **** :( Why couldn't they have left that hideous logo off the front like on the old Tabs?

nuckinfutz
Aug 6, 2012, 11:42 AM
Love the dual screen and I was anxiously awaiting Drag n Drop.

The other stuff wasn't as impressive to me as there are plenty of note taking and photo editing apps that are equivalent.

Is a stylus required for many of the features?

p.s music is HORRIBLE. Come'on Samsung, you're supposed to be 'hip' and this demo music isn't cutting it.

ChazUK
Aug 6, 2012, 11:48 AM
Lots of copying and pasting in that video. Samsung has a lot of experience in that*.
http://cell-phones.tradetang.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/samsung_Galaxy_S-vs-iphone-3gs.jpg

:p:D

p.s music is HORRIBLE. Come'on Samsung, you're supposed to be 'hip' and this demo music isn't cutting it.
The music is simply awful, I had to mute it. :(

*I jest!

nuckinfutz
Aug 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
ChazUK

True Samsung has "taken" some liberties but I do respect that they are in this game to win.

I'm impressed with how aggressive S. Korea is. I remember my sister buying a Hundai car 25 year ago and thinking about how shoddy it was but it was cheap. Look at Hyundai now.

I remember when Samsung was that cheap off-brand company. They were no better than Goldstar.

These companies have worked hard over the years to build themselves up and Samsung has make some excellent investments in vertical markets (fabs, memory and display tech). Sometimes I wish Samsung would have bought Web OS and enjoyed the advantages that Microsoft, RIM, Apple and others that manage their own OS have.

kdarling
Aug 6, 2012, 12:04 PM
Wow.

You guys see something amazing, and you concentrate on the background music choice??

I bet if we looked up the saying, "like casting pearls before swine", this thread would be an example link!

:eek:

j/k - You crack me up :D

Oohara
Aug 6, 2012, 12:16 PM
Wow.

You guys see something amazing, and you concentrate on the background music choice??

I bet if we looked up the saying, "like casting pearls before swine", this thread would be an example link!

Heh, makes one wonder though...where Sammy would be today if they'd only had a sense of style and marketing skills on the level of Apple's. I picture something like a Mortal Kombat 9 fatality when I imagine Steve Jobs seeing an iPad ad with music like this, and then turning to the person responsible...:D

nuckinfutz
Aug 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wow.

You gotta admit that's some bad muzak! :D

ChazUK
Aug 6, 2012, 12:38 PM
Wow.

What you see as amazing, I see as a huge burden on Samsung pushing out speedy updates.

It does look like a great multitasker I will admit though. More cleverness coming from Samsung adding features to Android that it lacks at a stock level.:)

kdarling
Aug 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
What you see as amazing, I see as a huge burden on Samsung pushing out speedy updates.

Well, it's true that I'm not someone who relies on updates to make me happy. I buy devices for what they do now, not what they might or might not do in the future.

Especially since OS version numbers don't tell the whole story.

For example, a lot of my iOS devices are a couple of years old, and even though they have the latest OS version number, they cannot run the latest cool iOS stuff.

OTOH, I still have Android tablets that I've left on 2.3 simply because I like the way they work under it. Since I can usually run the latest version of major apps that I rely on, and I can install a custom launcher, I'm cool.

The upshot is, as long as my devices do what I bought them for, I'm good :)

Scrub175
Aug 6, 2012, 01:15 PM
Very nice animations there. I wanna see real time application of their concepts. Multi-tasking how they portray in the video will be amazing and really challenge the laptop market soon.

DeathChill
Aug 6, 2012, 01:27 PM
For some reason that keyboard looks familiar...

http://cdn.techpp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Capture1.jpg

ChazUK
Aug 6, 2012, 01:36 PM
The upshot is, as long as my devices do what I bought them for, I'm good :)

I'm a bleeding edge kind of guy when it comes to software updates which is most likely why I've gotten into Android (and the Nexus line) so much with its breakneck speed in development. I started on Android 1.5 and have seen 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0 and now we have 4.1 in our grasp. Google have done so much in a little amount of time.:cool:

I will hand it to Samsung that they are one of the more dev community friendly Android OEMs so folks like me who like tthe latest and greatest will most likely get our fill from custom firmwares on the Note 2.

Its great for us to have the choices we have to be perfectly honest! :D

----------

It is, isn't it!
http://watchingapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/iphone-keyboard-normal.jpg

I had similar thoughts when watching the vid.

kdarling
Aug 6, 2012, 01:56 PM
Slightly off topic, does anyone know why the iOS keyboard doesn't show the current letter case on the keys like most other touchscreen keyboards do?

It's always bugged me a bit that I have to look at the SHIFT key on iOS devices to figure out if I'm in upper or lowercase mode.

Isn't the whole point of a soft keyboard, the fact that the key legends can change to fit the situation?

VulchR
Aug 6, 2012, 02:01 PM
Wow - that tablet looks as elegant as the music.

matttye
Aug 6, 2012, 04:52 PM
Looks good to me but I won't use a lot of that copy and paste stuff, image editing etc.

Multitasking looks pretty good.

cynics
Aug 6, 2012, 06:45 PM
I'd love to have that picture in picture thing. I'm on my tablet right now and I wish I could have watched that video as I was reading the post in this thread. I've always thought that would be useful too me.

Its nice the video can play in the browser (flash?) but with that terrible music I don't know when there is an interesting part to scroll back up really quick.

chrf097
Aug 6, 2012, 10:17 PM
WOW!

May need this as a companion for my Nexus 7! I mean, it wouldn't kill anybody to have two tablets anyways would it?

Sensamic
Aug 6, 2012, 10:18 PM
I wish Apple gave us that multitasking... but I don't have high hopes for it.

asr10 user
Aug 7, 2012, 12:03 AM
Very very impressive. I realized I could do picture and picture on my Galaxy S3, so when I drive and am in dock mode, I have a video playing while turn by turn navigation is running. Everyone who see's it is shocked.

I was the biggest Apple fan, but man was I missing out on Samsung/Android stuff.

blackhand1001
Aug 7, 2012, 12:32 AM
I love the multiscreen thing, makes it so much more of a real productivity tool. It's really 1 up on the iPad there.

I just wish it wouldn't look like **** :( Why couldn't they have left that hideous logo off the front like on the old Tabs?

Thank apple and their stupid lawsuits for that.

blackhand1001
Aug 7, 2012, 12:44 AM

Its looks much more similar because caps lock is on so the letters are all captital like iOS always has them. The letters are normally lowercase which will look far less like iOS's keyboard. Also the layout is quite a bit different. The only thing really similar is the color scheme and even that isn't identical.

P1otr
Aug 7, 2012, 01:02 AM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qbgBxr4H59A)

Well, its amazing.

Well, from what you can see in this video- it is. Personally I don't thnk many iPad users will switch to Sammy. $750 is not a competitive price for the first-time buyers either.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 7, 2012, 01:26 AM
Is everything new from Samsung some sort of Galaxy?

ipsychedelic
Aug 7, 2012, 03:27 AM
Suck on that iSheeps mwahahahaha
Apple is left a thousand light years beyond once again!!!!
Dead to Apple.
How's your lawsuit going Mr Cook?

Sorry I just got caught in the spirit of the lovely 10 year old trolls on every Android/iOS/Apple youtube video.

This looks quite good, but now I wonder why the carry two 10" tablets, just because this one has the "special" stylus?

And also, pardon the ignorance (haven't been up to speed on Android tech as of lately) but isn't this kind of multitasking not available on every Android device?
If so, this means the Android version carried by this device will be a "special cooked ROM by Samsung, not available on any other Samsung device"?

Oohara
Aug 7, 2012, 06:24 AM
Thank apple and their stupid lawsuits for that.
What, is this literally true? Source? If it is, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

matttye
Aug 7, 2012, 06:42 AM
but isn't this kind of multitasking not available on every Android device?

Double negative, so you're asking if it IS available? No, you cant place two apps side by side on any other Android device I've seen.

The galaxy s3 has the pop out play video option, but not the side by side apps.

matttye
Aug 7, 2012, 06:44 AM
What, is this literally true? Source? If it is, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Of course it's true...Apple had the galaxy tabs banned in several countries for quite a while due to patent infringement, where have you been? :p

Oohara
Aug 7, 2012, 06:57 AM
Of course it's true...Apple had the galaxy tabs banned in several countries for quite a while due to patent infringement, where have you been? :p
Omg really???? :p

I know that of course, what I meant is - were they specifically forced to stick their logo on the front of every device because of this? It just seems unlikely that "no logo on the bezel" would hold up as part of an actual patent...

kdarling
Aug 7, 2012, 07:06 AM
Is everything new from Samsung some sort of Galaxy?

At least their top models. Apparently they listened to what people were saying about all the different phone names being confusing.

This looks quite good, but now I wonder why the carry two 10" tablets, just because this one has the "special" stylus?

Who would carry two tablets?

And also, pardon the ignorance (haven't been up to speed on Android tech as of lately) but isn't this kind of multitasking not available on every Android device?

For now, but I think we're going to see a lot more multitasking like this in the near future. Wind River has announced code for OEMs and others to customize Android with multiple resizable windows, for example. This can make sense on tablets.

If it becomes popular, I think multi-window capability will appear in the core code. (It's already half there. Widgets are simply windows that appear in another app's screen. Part of the original slowness of Android windows was because this core cross-app capability was cooked in from the beginning.)

If so, this means the Android version carried by this device will be a "special cooked ROM by Samsung, not available on any other Samsung device"?

Yep. Some people are always talking about how Samsung should "stop copying others" and differentiate themselves. Their wish is granted. Nothing wrong with a specialized device having special capabilities.

HTC has the same thing with their pen based tablets.

It'd be better if Android itself had a standard API for active pens.

----------

There's also the third party Overskreen browser. It allows multiple copies of any size on a homescreen at a time. Video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvfw8iaB8dU).

hot spare
Aug 7, 2012, 08:02 AM
HTC has the same thing with their pen based tablets.

It'd be better if Android itself had a standard API for active pens.

I believe there is already a Stylus API in ICS.

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.0.html

Is that what you referring to?

kdarling
Aug 7, 2012, 08:47 AM
I believe there is already a Stylus API in ICS.

Cool. Thank you!

I know that HTC and Samsung have had their own SDKs for such things in the past. Do you know if they also support the new ICS API?

(I'm a bit out of date since I've been working on an HTML5 app for much of the past year, and haven't had a chance to code on Android for a while.)

hot spare
Aug 7, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cool. Thank you!

I know that HTC and Samsung have had their own SDKs for such things in the past. Do you know if they also support the new ICS API?

(I'm a bit out of date since I've been working on an HTML5 app for much of the past year, and haven't had a chance to code on Android for a while.)

I am not into app development. But I have seen Samsung engineers saying that S-Pen supports ICS API. Some discussion on this:

http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/bbs/discussion/view.do?boardId=1132&boardName=AndroidBoard&messageId=161795&messageNumber=&messageCategoryId=3&startId=zzzzz~&startPage=1&curPage=1&rowsPerPage=10&searchType=TITLE&searchText=&searchDays=0&searchTitleFlag=false&searchContentsFlag=false&searchRegisterNicknameFlag=false&lastPageFlag=&categoryId=800&parentCategoryId=4&platformId=1&selectOrder=REGISTER_DATE&selectOrderDirection=DESC&searchParameters=%2Fbbs%2Fdiscussion%2Fthread.list.do%3FlistLines%3D10%7CsearchType%3Dtitle%7CcurPag e%3D3%7CselectOrder%3DREGISTER_DATE%7CselectOrderDirection%3DDESC%7CmessageCategoryId%3D3%7C&nacode=&listLines=10&searchTextForm=&searchTypeForm=TITLE

kdarling
Aug 7, 2012, 10:58 AM
I am not into app development. But I have seen Samsung engineers saying that S-Pen supports ICS API.

Perfect. Thank you very much for looking that up!

AustinIllini
Aug 7, 2012, 11:02 AM
It is, isn't it!
Image (http://watchingapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/iphone-keyboard-normal.jpg)

I had similar thoughts when watching the vid.

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1171/Pasted%20Graphic%202.png

Uncanny! They're like the SAME THING

cynics
Aug 7, 2012, 12:23 PM
The keyboard looks the same? What kind of qwerty keyboard doesn't look the same? Are we neglecting the predictive words that are turned off and upper lower case keys? We are just going by color now?

This stealing ideas thing is starting to get a little silly IMO. Apple is the only company in the world that can sue while they simultaneously copy an idea while every one turns a blind eye. They were suing for slide to unlock while copying camera from the lock screen. It truly is amazing.

ipsychedelic
Aug 7, 2012, 04:47 PM
Double negative, so you're asking if it IS available? No, you cant place two apps side by side on any other Android device I've seen.

I see, and I meant to say "now available...".

Who would carry two tablets?

Well I did not mean carry as in your bag, but carry as in the shelves, now Samsung apparently has two "top of the line" 10" tabs.

If it becomes popular, I think multi-window capability will appear in the core code. (It's already half there. Widgets are simply windows that appear in another app's screen. Part of the original slowness of Android windows was because this core cross-app capability was cooked in from the beginning.)

I see, you might be right then in that, half of it is "already there".

Yep. Some people are always talking about how Samsung should "stop copying others" and differentiate themselves. Their wish is granted. Nothing wrong with a specialized device having special capabilities.
But then I don't know, I think at the conception Android was meant to be AOSP, but now it's becoming another Linux.
Nothing wrong, but, it just creates even more confusion for the end user.

DarwinOSX
Aug 11, 2012, 12:15 AM
Inferior screen and other hardware features. Nobody wants to use a stylus anymore. These will sell just as well as previous Samsung tablets. Poorly.

ChristianJapan
Aug 11, 2012, 01:47 AM
Split screen with drag 'n drop is nice; I could imagine (or hope) that in iOS7 we see something similar.

NZed
Aug 11, 2012, 04:52 AM
Inferior screen and other hardware features. Nobody wants to use a stylus anymore. These will sell just as well as previous Samsung tablets. Poorly.

NO doubt with that. But you gotta admit, some of those features are nice. And are missing from the iPad.

cynics
Aug 11, 2012, 10:18 AM

Interesting. You dont have to use a stylus if you dont want too. And why are there so many stylus threads in the iPad section if no one is interested in them?

This tablet was made due to the popularity and sales of the note.

Are you just kind of making things up as you go?

Quotenfrau
Aug 11, 2012, 10:31 AM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qbgBxr4H59A)

Well, its amazing.

I am sceptically that the hand writing detection really works that great as show in Youtube-AD. Does anybody has experience with the note-taking feature?

kdarling
Aug 11, 2012, 02:18 PM

It's not a dumb stylus. It's a Wacom pen and digitizer, with high accuracy and hundreds of pressure levels.

Most of us don't fingerpaint every day. We do use a writing or drawing instrument.

That's why there's a high interest in both stylus and pens from iPad third party suppliers.