PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Hacked help

macman212
Aug 6, 2012, 02:21 PM
(Ex) Girlfriend last week confronted me about sites I'd been visiting along with who I'd be chatting to on Facebook. It appears she had managed to access all this information remotely. Does anyone know how this is possible, and what I need to do about it? (I've switched firewall on & switched off screen sharing). Many thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give, cheers.

GGJstudios
Aug 6, 2012, 02:25 PM
Your MacBook wasn't hacked. It's likely your email account may have been compromised, which has nothing to do with your computer. Change your passwords on email accounts, Facebook, etc. Be sure to use long and complex passwords.

macman212
Aug 6, 2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks GG,

I thought that, but there's noway she could have got my passwords and she was fully aware of websites I'd visited (as if she had access to my history...)

GGJstudios
Aug 6, 2012, 02:35 PM
Of the many, many threads I've seen over the past 4+ years about people claiming their Mac was hacked, not a single one ever was. While not impossible, the odds of an average user having their Mac hacked are ridiculously remote. Look to email, iChat, Facebook, or physical access as possible sources where they might have gotten such information. Being hacked is just about as likely as being attacked by Vulcans wearing derby hats, riding in Hupmobiles.

LostSoul80
Aug 6, 2012, 02:38 PM
She may have had access, either direclty or indirectly, to your physical computer. Do you have friends who happen to use it, and do you monitor it 24/24?
Another possibility is that she found out your password. Do you use the same password across different websites? Maybe she remembered what you told her.

Change your passwords, choose different, aphanumeric and not obvious ones and see what happens.

macman212
Aug 7, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks all,

A friend today suggested she could have used keychain to access passwords... As I'm fairly sure she had the admin password.

I've tried looking on console to see if she accessed the computer while I wasn't there, but the detailed records only go back 1 week, then there is nothing for about a month or so...

If I ever manage to get on speaking terms I'll try and find what she did and update!

Cheers.

MagicThief83
Aug 7, 2012, 02:33 PM
Lol...hilarious!