Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
I filed this with ADC. After installing iOS 6 Beta 4, did anyone suddenly have tons of voicemails and texts appear, going back days/weeks? :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
A friend of mine is getting each message he *sends* in his notification bar, and there's a new contact in his Messages app containing everything he's sent. Sounds like it could be related.

Edit: He's resolved this. He was sending messages to his wife (same Apple ID), and as part of the beta 4 upgrade his phone had associated itself with both phone numbers. This can be changed in Settings > Messages > Receive At.

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
So odd.

In 10.8, any iMessage sent from an iOS 6 device is sent to OS X 10.8, as long as email addresses are associated with your cell number (this appears when setting up Messages/FaceTime in iOS). Everything is now synced, so messages sent from your iPad and/or iPhone 4S will be immediately on your Mac, and if the contact isn't in your Contacts app, it will show as a number only (you can add that number to your contacts manually).

It's confusing lol. A friend who just switched to a 4S for work from Android is getting used to it. We texted, him on his Google Talk account and me from Messages in OS X. One issue seems if you have a contact with gmail/iMessages-iCloud/AIM address/accounts, you can't determine what account you're communicating with in a conversation in Messages. You can configure all your devices and Messages app to start a conversation with either your phone number or one of your associated email addresses (I have my number and @me.com and @icloud.com all linked). Yet if someone leaves a conversation, ex logs out of Google then logs into iCloud, it doesn't indicate that in Messages.

Aside from that, it seems many are suddenly getting visual voicemail messages they weren't from the servers as well as many messages. Don't know what the issue is but may be server related as well.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
This seemed to be a bug in beta 3. VMs and notifications would be absent, when people would tell me they'd left a voicemail. They'd never be indicated on the phone...UNTIL I did a hard phone reset. Then, boom...there they were.

I've had beta 4 up and running for a couple of hours, and VMs are working as usual.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
This seemed to be a bug in beta 3. VMs and notifications would be absent, when people would tell me they'd left a voicemail. They'd never be indicated on the phone...UNTIL I did a hard phone reset. Then, boom...there they were.

I've had beta 4 up and running for a couple of hours, and VMs are working as usual.

Thanks! That's insane, I had a ton of work voicemails I missed, serves me right for deciding on using a beta on my main device for the first time since iOS developing lol.

Thankfully it's fixed, just need to make many apologetic calls today :eek:

Nyk0n

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2008
no issues with my visual voicemail or messages since my upgrade

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.