Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I haven't dabbled into this since XP/Vista and if anyone was familiar with nLite or vLite.
They were great tools that allowed you to pre-customize your Windows install and apps installed with a clean install.
Example: You could change default wallpaper and many other settings and add applications to the install so that after your clean install was done and you first boot up you could already have FireFox installed, have a specific wallpaper up, etc. There were lots of preinstall options.

I am just wondering if you can just drop dmg's into a specific folder like iLife and iWork or other apps to have them preinstalled.

Does anyone have any experience with this or where I may find the info.
I've been tearing google search up with no luck yet.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You can effectively create a slipstreamed DMG that you can drop down onto the hard drive. This isn't a slipstream installer, but installed a base system that has been patched.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Well, since Lion, you can download the installer from the App store that will have all the current Apple .x updates at that point. That's sort of like slipstreaming a Windows service pack into the installer.

Otherwise, a DMG to reimage a hard drive with a preconfigureed image is your next closest thing.

Which may work for you even with different hardware. Unless you goto the trouble of pulling out drivers you don't need for a particular Mac, Mac OS X installs drivers to boot all current Macs compatible with that OS. It's farily easy to make boot discs that will boot any current Mac.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yes! Have a look into the brilliant instaDMG with instaup2date

I was about to post back about InstaDMG.

This allows me to do exactly what I was wanting to do, give the program a base version 10.8 and then add all subsequent updates into the image creating an up to date base install dmg.

So at the moment I can add X.8.1, X.8.2, iTunes 10.7 and Java 2012-005.

Next on the goal list is to create an all-in-one ML+iLife+iWork+Office'11 currently up to date dmg.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.