Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puffy1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I recently updated my MacBook to ML from Lion. But have noticed all updates now go through the App Store. I have iWork and iLife installed from disc, not MAS, and the MAS doesn't see my installs, just gives me the option to purchase again. Does that mean I won't get updates any more like I did in software updates in Lion? I assume it's to do with preventing people from pirating apps and such like, as I assume a pirated copy of ML wouldn't get updates as the MAS doesn't see you have it....or am I wrong?

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I have done a fresh install of ML and i then used my disc copy of iwork to install iWork. Upon opening up iwork for the first time it said there was an update for my version and it proceeded to the MAS and did an update for me......

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
I recently updated my MacBook to ML from Lion. But have noticed all updates now go through the App Store. I have iWork and iLife installed from disc, not MAS, and the MAS doesn't see my installs, just gives me the option to purchase again. Does that mean I won't get updates any more like I did in software updates in Lion? I assume it's to do with preventing people from pirating apps and such like, as I assume a pirated copy of ML wouldn't get updates as the MAS doesn't see you have it....or am I wrong?

you will get updates for your ilife suite via the app store regardless of how you got them.

if you dont see updates available now its because they are up to date (probably they updated with the installation of ML or you updated them from Lion prior to the OSX update.

puffy1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
you will get updates for your ilife suite via the app store regardless of how you got them.

if you dont see updates available now its because they are up to date (probably they updated with the installation of ML or you updated them from Lion prior to the OSX update.

Installed them after a fresh install, so pretty sure they need updating. Hmmmmmm...maybe I will delete and reinstall both iWork and iLife. See if that helps. What about printer driver updates etc etc that used to come down on Software Updates

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The MAS only makes me appreciate the Macs I have running SL outside of the MAS, that much more. :D

----------

What about printer driver updates etc etc that used to come down on Software Updates

I'm sure that everything will be routed through the MAS given the degree of control it gives Apple. All under the guise of "ease of use" for the customer.

gymnasia96

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2009
Installed them after a fresh install, so pretty sure they need updating. Hmmmmmm...maybe I will delete and reinstall both iWork and iLife. See if that helps. What about printer driver updates etc etc that used to come down on Software Updates
Hi did you have to buy Mountain Lion? Or did you update through App Store?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i think that OS X can only be purchased through the app store, a first for apple.
after an update to Mountain lion, check for updates under the apple symbol, or some cases the system asks.
and the latest edition of mountain lion will download to the mac.
honestly I'm still waking up, but have done this many times, let us know if you need more help or advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.