Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bmf79

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hello All. Ok so I am between the cMBP and rMBP via RDP for work. I have read many threads on many sites regarding Parallels/Fusion/TeamViewer, etc. None of them seemed to address my questions fully.

Work is paying for this laptop and I will retain ownership so I want the best of both worlds. The laptop must work via windows for the programs I need/RDP. The majority of the time the MBP (either model) will be connected to a 32" 1080p hdtv via hdmi and hardwired to the router. I need the fastest connection I can get while working and the display just makes things faster. I will also need to ensure no issues with this setup.

1. The method in which I have been provided access to my work PC is a clickable RDP that has all of my IP information in it. I assume that using Windows 7 via bootcamp will allow this method to work flawlessly. Would Parallels/Fusion also allow this method to work?

If so, would the virtualized method introduce additional latencies with the RDP? Could it potentially resolve issues regarding battery life, hotplugging, etc. while in bootcamp?

Keep in mind that I tried the MS RDP that comes with Office 2011 for Mac and it would not work at all. The same clickable RDP in my windows desktop works no problem.

2. I have read some issues regarding the TB to GigE adapterand hotplugging it. Can anyone provide more information regarding this?

Any information you guys/gals can provide would be fantastic. As work is picking up the tab it has to function for their purposes. I have a cMPB on order but I keep leaning toward the rMBP and am on the verge of ordering one.

3. Would any of the solutions also work remotely via wireless if I am traveling for business?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
If MS RDP for Mac didn't work, you've got it set up wrong.

Either MS RDP for Mac or CoRD would be the best solution - you certainly don't need to be running Windows. I manage a corporate network for a living and spend a good part of my working day logged into one machine or another via CoRD from my Mac in the office or MacBook Pro via VPN from home. Wireless also works, but will be a bit laggier dependent on the quality of the connection (I've been known to log into a server via my iPhone when on the road in emergencies, though - it DOES work).

Bmf79

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I could try to have our IT manager configure it in some way although he was very unhelpful when attempting to set it up on my wife's MBP via MS RDP. We don't utilize VPN. My options regarding the setup are limited as I'm not the IT administrator. The MS RDP says that it's not compatible with 10.7 and newer OSX as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.