PDA

View Full Version : fault rates

applefiend95
Aug 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
what are the fault rates of a MBA? and in which component area? i am in the market to buy a base 13" model but an 11" would be fine also. i intend to carry it with me to the university to do some light weight browsing, some light word processing and social networking. every day i would be backing up the documents to my workstation at home. would a MBA last me 4 years without any faults? i have been reading that iMacs get a lot of faults due to the LCD not being sealed and heating problems with HDD, etc. what kind of problems do you guys face? Thanks.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
I don't know of any "fault rates" that I'd be concerned about if I was you. 4 years from a new Air should be easily doable.

mayuka
Aug 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
The Macbook Air series is not that old that any meaningful statistics would be around. appledefects is no more, so we rely on information from forums. Normal fault rate is about 2% or so for 3 years (not counting DOA faults).

The most common faults are the harddisk and memory. While you easily can replace the faulty memory on current non-retina MBPs, you can't on MBAs. If you're doing lots of file-intense work, the SSD is likely to fail after about 3 years. You can replace the SSD on current MBA models. I suspect the logic board of the MBA to be similar long-living than the ones from the MBP.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 12:31 PM
3 years? Where do you get that number?

mayuka
Aug 8, 2012, 01:27 AM
3 years? Where do you get that number?

The number was floating around in forums some time ago. At the PowerPC-era we had numbers. People then asked how intel-Macbooks perform, some came up with numbers. Don't know if they still are correct.

\-V-/
Aug 8, 2012, 01:30 AM
There is absolutely no way to guarantee anything. Hardware is hardware... it can go out at any time at any place, without warning. That is the nature of technology. I've never had a Mac go out on me, but I've had friends and family that have had the worst of luck with Apple products. All you can do is be careful with your purchase and hope for the best. Apple Care is also useful and extends your warranty an extra 2 years past the first 1 year warranty. Some people hate Apple Care, but it's served me well so far.