PDA

View Full Version : Spilled water issue

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 11:51 AM
Last night, like the idiot that I was, I was drinking a cup of water near my MBA. Of courses, about two inches of water spilled on it; it was on at the time. It made a sizzling noise for a couple seconds, and the screen went black. I then pulled off the power cord and dried to dump all of the water off of it, wiping it down with a rag. (The water was on the keyboard.)

Since I didn't know what to do, I immediately tried to turn it in again, once it was pretty dry. It turned on just fine, so I used it for a few minutes before shutting it down again.

This morning, I once again tried booting it up. It worked for about 15 minutes, then black screened and turned off again. I read some threads on these forums with another device, and since then have not tried to turn it on again. It's now sitting on my desk, with the lid slightly open. I know I should put it in a bag of rice and dry it or open up the shell, but my parents are still home and I'll have to wait.

Is there any hope for my MBA, or will it have already corroded the logic board and other internal parts? Please help :confused:

fenderbass146
Aug 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
Last night, like the idiot that I was, I was drinking a cup of water near my MBA. Of courses, about two inches of water spilled on it; it was on at the time. It made a sizzling noise for a couple seconds, and the screen went black. I then pulled off the power cord and dried to dump all of the water off of it, wiping it down with a rag. (The water was on the keyboard.)

Since I didn't know what to do, I immediately tried to turn it in again, once it was pretty dry. It turned on just fine, so I used it for a few minutes before shutting it down again.

This morning, I once again tried booting it up. It worked for about 15 minutes, then black screened and turned off again. I read some threads on these forums with another device, and since then have not tried to turn it on again. It's now sitting on my desk, with the lid slightly open. I know I should put it in a bag of rice and dry it or open up the shell, but my parents are still home and I'll have to wait.

Is there any hope for my MBA, or will it have already corroded the logic board and other internal parts? Please help :confused:

Sorry, I think its toast.

KPOM
Aug 7, 2012, 12:24 PM
You shouldn't have turned it back on. It takes a couple of days to fully dry out. Likely it needs a new logic board since it sounds like it shorted. Apple charges $755 for a high level repair of a MacBook Air (I know from personal experience). If it is a 2011 or 2012, it might be worth fixing. Otherwise, it just might be time for a new MacBook Air. If it's a 2012, see if your credit card company will cover the repair charge.

For future reference, you can usually buy a "personal articles policy" rider to your homeowner's or renter's insurance for about $50-60/year that covers accidental damage. You might also consider a keyboard cover if you frequently use it near water.

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 12:28 PM
You shouldn't have turned it back on. It takes a couple of days to fully dry out. Likely it needs a new logic board since it sounds like it shorted. Apple charges $755 for a high level repair of a MacBook Air (I know from personal experience). If it is a 2011 or 2012, it might be worth fixing. Otherwise, it just might be time for a new MacBook Air. If it's a 2012, see if your credit card company will cover the repair charge.

For future reference, you can usually buy a "personal articles policy" rider to your homeowner's or renter's insurance for about $50-60/year that covers accidental damage. You might also consider a keyboard cover if you frequently use it near water.

Thanks guys...yeah, it's a 2011 MBA, not even a year yet. I put it in a bag of rice; my parents are leaving the house soon, so I'll get it set up in a better location when they do. Do I have any chances?

seared.ahi
Aug 7, 2012, 12:28 PM

What's your parents being home got to do with it? Stick it in that rice pronto!! And if your mom asks what you're doing tell her your body parts are changing and she wouldn't understand!

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 12:30 PM
I think the sizzling sound was probably the worst part - that confirmed that the water hit circuitry somewhere.

KPOM
Aug 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys...yeah, it's a 2011 MBA, not even a year yet. I put it in a bag of rice; my parents are leaving the house soon, so I'll get it set up in a better location when they do. Do I have any chances?

At this point, since you turned it back on, it's probably already shorted. Just explain what happened and see what they will do. Maybe you can work out some arrangement with your parents to pay back the repair charge if they pick up the tab now. Again, from personal experience, you will likely be quoted $755 plus any sales taxes on services in your state.

Apple will do a good job with the repair. My 2010 came back with a brand new battery, keyboard, and lower case (I spilled wine on it so I'm guessing parts were sticky). Spend an extra $25 or so on a keyboard cover and be more careful next time. :apple:

----------

I think the sizzling sound was probably the worst part - that confirmed that the water hit circuitry somewhere.

Agreed. It would be nice if Apple built in some sort of water protection. I think some Lenovo and Toshiba Ultrabooks have water resistance (nothing is "water proof") that might have prevented a short in a situation like this. It would be some sort of membrane underneath the keyboard.

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I just jammed it in that rice bag...praying that it'll work again...someday. I literally just had my screen replaced, last week, for $500...this has been a very expensive learning experience. Now I'll be ultra careful :(

After a bit of reading, many other users have had this issue, yet with a lot of drying, they were doing fine. Still hoping...I haven't told my parents yet, and after having a broken screen just a week ago, what to do? I feel like such an idiot posting this - it's only been this week. The past nine months with my MBA had no trouble.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 12:38 PM
On a positive note, at least it was water and not something sticky or full of sugar like Coke or wine.

Good luck...

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 12:39 PM
(sorry for double posting)

Thanks, KPOM. Do you think I should wait it out any longer? My dad will be super angry, considering that he's already stressed from a bunch if new rental apartments that he's managing. At this point, I'd gladly give up my MBA to him and use my old Gateway (which cost markedly less than the potential repairs to this thing).

seared.ahi
Aug 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
Still hoping...I haven't told my parents yet, and after having a broken screen just a week ago, what to do? I feel like such an idiot posting this - it's only been this week. The past nine months with my MBA had no trouble.

You need to be shaken and slapped across the face a few times. Just kidding.

Everything will be ok.

So you're parents are gone? PARTY TIME!!

asting
Aug 7, 2012, 12:52 PM
You need to be shaken and slapped across the face a few times. Just kidding.

Everything will be ok.

So you're parents are gone? PARTY TIME!!

*your. In this case your is finally correct.

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 01:05 PM
*your. In this case your is finally correct.

Lol you guys :P
I'm sitting by it and a giant fan on the family Gateway - it's propped up against the fan, vent facing it, lid open almost all the way.

Please give me a concrete answer - should I dry it out for the next week, and try it again after that? I'll tell my dad tonight, I guess...Have any of you had success stories?

Mito
Aug 7, 2012, 02:13 PM
Well If I was you I would wait about 2 days, put Macbook into a rice (seriously - this saved my Samsung Galaxy S2 after being in hot water,35°C non stop. Only thing that didnīt work was camera) and then I would try to turn it on, do nothing on it (well if you have any important data I would obviously backup them) and let it be for hours, till battery die. Then I would put Magsafe in and waited until green LED on MagSafe popped and unplugged Magsafe, NOW I would turn it on and see what I can do with it

stchman
Aug 7, 2012, 02:22 PM
Is it still under warranty?

If yes and since it's water, just take it back to the Mac Store and tell them it's not working.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 02:26 PM
Is it still under warranty?

If yes and since it's water, just take it back to the Mac Store and tell them it's not working.

This is terrible advice. They will see the water sensors tripped, and you'll look and feel like an idiot for trying to lie.

stchman
Aug 7, 2012, 02:52 PM
This is terrible advice. They will see the water sensors tripped, and you'll look and feel like an idiot for trying to lie.

After a bit of reading on Apple it does appear that they spend a great deal of time trying to detect moisture intrusion into their devices.

It is the opinion of many that if Apple spent as much time making their devices water resistant as they did on detecting water intrusion, they'd be on to something.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 03:15 PM
OR people could just stop spilling water in their keyboards. :)

stchman
Aug 7, 2012, 03:24 PM
OR people could just stop spilling water in their keyboards. :)

I try to not set any liquid near my laptops.

Omurices
Aug 7, 2012, 03:28 PM
No matter what happens, MBA is replaceable, but you're not replaceable. I grew up in strict Asian family and sometimes it's the matter of what we've learned that counts more than what material things we broke. By the way.. try leaving the MBA in nice cool (not warm) breezy area would help too. Hope it will come back in life. :D

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 03:40 PM
No matter what happens, MBA is replaceable, but you're not replaceable. I grew up in strict Asian family and sometimes it's the matter of what we've learned that counts more than what material things we broke. By the way.. try leaving the MBA in nice cool (not warm) breezy area would help too. Hope it will come back in life. :D
Thanks so much, all of you. I'll definitely be trying the rice trick, as well as setting it in a nice ventilated area.

I'm in a strict Asian family as well, so you understand. Just praying that drying it out will work...

It's so tempting to try to turn it on again, but I know that I shouldn't. Should I just wait a couple more days before trying to give it to Genius bar? I know that when I do, I'll try to pull off the honesty thing.

Saphfire
Aug 7, 2012, 03:50 PM
Well If I was you I would wait about 2 days, put Macbook into a rice (seriously - this saved my Samsung Galaxy S2 after being in hot water,35°C non stop. Only thing that didnīt work was camera) and then I would try to turn it on, do nothing on it (well if you have any important data I would obviously backup them) and let it be for hours, till battery die. Then I would put Magsafe in and waited until green LED on MagSafe popped and unplugged Magsafe, NOW I would turn it on and see what I can do with it

I'll definitely be trying this, thanks :)
Now there's a piece of rice stuck in my MacBook...I can hear it rattling around when I pick it up. Hopefully this won't be a big deal - I know the water damage would be much worse. These laptops seem to never dry...Noob question, but is MagSafe the magnetic charger thing?

wolfpuppies3
Aug 7, 2012, 04:02 PM
Have them on all three of mine. Not a choice thing, it is mandatory for me.

stchman
Aug 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
Have them on all three of mine. Not a choice thing, it is mandatory for me.

Can you provide a link please?

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 04:16 PM
Ugly, and not really necessary if you take reasonable precaution.

SoIsays
Aug 7, 2012, 04:44 PM
You need to stick that Air into a ziplock bag with rice burying it and let it sit out in the sun to bake and vaporize the moisture for a couple days. Pronto!

KPOM
Aug 7, 2012, 05:51 PM
Ugly, and not really necessary if you take reasonable precaution.

I use one whenever I fly on an airplane. It is too easy for a spill to occur with all the jostling. This one (http://www.rearthusa.com/MacBook-Air_c_94.html) is pretty reasonable.

asting
Aug 7, 2012, 07:11 PM
Lol you guys :P
I'm sitting by it and a giant fan on the family Gateway - it's propped up against the fan, vent facing it, lid open almost all the way.

Please give me a concrete answer - should I dry it out for the next week, and try it again after that? I'll tell my dad tonight, I guess...Have any of you had success stories?
No rice? I have a bag of rice specifically for this.

Mito
Aug 8, 2012, 05:42 AM
I'll definitely be trying this, thanks :)
Now there's a piece of rice stuck in my MacBook...I can hear it rattling around when I pick it up. Hopefully this won't be a big deal - I know the water damage would be much worse. These laptops seem to never dry...Noob question, but is MagSafe the magnetic charger thing?

Itīs not a big deal now. Obviously I wouldnīt like it but you can get that piece of rice out of macbook fairly easy, just be gently and try to locate where it is. When you find a spot, just turn macbook up side down and gently shake it, I said GENTLY! till piece of rice will come out

wolfpuppies3
Aug 13, 2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007FL8PHM/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01

It is invisible, not at all ugly.

Blackberryroid
Aug 13, 2012, 04:45 PM

I know it's hard to remember, but whenever you've spilled something on your MBA, never EVER turn it on within 3 days after being spilled. My MacBook, it had the same symptoms you described. In the end, it actually lived, but the backlight died. The repair cost? $1000.

Calot
Aug 13, 2012, 05:41 PM

HOLY CRAP!

The exact same thing happened to me, READ CAREFULLY

Get one of those silica things that absorb humidity and come with a hanger included (supposedly you hang it in your closet between your shirts/pants and it absorbs moisture) put your macbook air OPENED inside a big trash bag with the silica thing.... Make sure the bag is sealed, or mostly sealed, LEAVE IT THERE FOR 72 HOURS.

Mine worked fine for a month after that, then I decided to sell it and get the new one.

DO NOT KEEP TRYING TO TURN IT ON

JUST LET IT BE FOR THREE DAYS.

Forget about the rice.

Rice has some dust in it and it could cripple your beautiful air.

Get the silica bag, it's like 5 bucks.

TheRealDamager
Aug 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
Wow - you dumped a spilled upon Air on someone? Did you advertise it as such?

mertyz
Aug 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Doesn't MBA mainly breathe from the keyboard? Not sure if it's a good idea to cover the whole keyboard.

asting
Aug 13, 2012, 07:03 PM

My first thought.

"I spilled some water, on it, fixed it good as new, then promptly sold it."

jcg878
Aug 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Ugh, I'm never buying a used computer from someone that I don't know now.

About 5 mL of water claimed my Air's predecessor, a 13" MBP that I had added an SSD, swapped a big HD in place of the optical drive, and added RAM to a total of 8 GB. There was an instant short and I knew it was toast. The quote from the Apple Store was $835, so I bought a new MBA and sold the components (SSD, RAM) to a friend who knew what happened.

I think you've seen the end of your MBA. Such is life.

snberk103
Aug 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
Dumped water in my MBP. Promptly turned it off, pulled the battery and unplugged it. Left it opened up and upside down (like an upside-down V) for 5 days on a rack over a baseboard heater (for the air-flow). Those were a very long 5 days. Despite massive temptation, I just left it there. No power at all.

Four years later I've still got the beast, plus had the GPU (maybe the entire logic board, I don't quite know) replaced under the NVidia chip replacement program.

It believe this was due to getting power off the machine so quickly, and then letting it dry really really thoroughly. I didn't do the rice or silica thing... After all, dry is dry whether you suck the moisture out or let natural evaporation work.

Sorry about your MBA... but I think you toasted it. My suggestion is to accidentally drop it into a lake. If your folks are like my folks were, while dropping a computer into a lake is really stupid (in their eyes) but they'll get over it - but dropping a glass of water into a computer is really really massively stupid (in their eyes) and needs to become a lesson to be learned. Which somehow always means you being deprived of something.

The reason for dropping it into the lake (as opposed to other ways of bricking the system) is that you can say with complete honesty that the machine has been damaged by water. Parents know when you are lying. In this case, you are not lying .... technically. At least perhaps not enough to trigger the parental lie detector antennae.

Good Luck. You'll live. But it won't be fun, and you have my sympathy. We've all done some stupid things.....

KPOM
Aug 13, 2012, 07:36 PM

I did that with my 2010, after I had it repaired. I fully disclosed it on my eBay listing. The buyer understood, and as far as I can tell has been happy with it.

ShStylo
Aug 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
This just happened to me a couple days ago.

Very similiar incident. I mistakenly turned the MBA back on after I spilled water, however I did not hear any sizzling sounds and instead of having a black screen, I had a distorted screen when I turned it back on.

I let it out to dry for about 24 hours then I took it to the apple store, hoping for the best. The genius I spoke with didn't ask if I dropped it in water or anything and proceeded to diagnose the root cause of the distorted display. He went to the back a couple of times and in the end he deemed it to just be a faulty display and said he'll go ahead and put in a repair order for me.

So now my MBA is with that apple store and they are ordering a new display for me to repair. Now, I'm not sure if I was just lucky and my water sensors didn't get tripped during the spill or they have yet to discover I spilled water in my laptop. But in either case, on my repair order it said that no water damage could be found.

So I don't think it hurts for you to take it to the apple store and give it a shot, you might be able to get it fixed.

Best of luck!

Blaine
Aug 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Saphfire, any updates? I hope your laptop lived through it.