PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter where I buy from?

marty1990
Aug 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
Looking into buying a MacBook Air, but unsure where to get it from, either Apple direct, or John Lewis. Does it really matter? Would the Apple Store have 'better' devices and stuff, or would it be the same across the board in all the shops?

seared.ahi
Aug 7, 2012, 12:38 PM
Looking into buying a MacBook Air, but unsure where to get it from, either Apple direct, or John Lewis. Does it really matter? Would the Apple Store have 'better' devices and stuff, or would it be the same across the board in all the shops?

In terms of trying to identify which store has more lemons, that can't be done. But small shops/businesses or universities that are authorized resellers sometimes carry old models at discounted prices. You can also get better deals and discounts than Apple retail. However, a downside I also found is that the computers they sell, though current models, are usually manufactured a long time ago (could be a few months) - by looking at serial numbers on some of their boxes. That's just how it is.

If you want the latest software installed your best bet is Apple Store online (example, Mountain Lion) but otherwise going to a brick and mortar Apple Store is sort of just for bragging rights and feeling "at home."

marty1990
Aug 7, 2012, 12:58 PM
John Lewis has the latest Air's in stock, and they also offer an extra years warranty along with Apple's standard one year of warranty, but am not sure whether the extra year would be worth it, as apparently for the second year, repairs aren't done by Apple, which put's me off slightly, but at the same time gives me peace of mind.

seared.ahi
Aug 7, 2012, 01:47 PM
John Lewis has the latest Air's in stock, and they also offer an extra years warranty along with Apple's standard one year of warranty, but am not sure whether the extra year would be worth it, as apparently for the second year, repairs aren't done by Apple, which put's me off slightly, but at the same time gives me peace of mind.

Do you have an American Express card? If so, use it to purchase your mac and you get a free warranty for an extra year anyway. What's the price at John Lewis. (Is Amex even in Europe?)

stchman
Aug 7, 2012, 02:13 PM
I got mine from Best Buy.

There is no advantage to buying one from the Mac Store unless you want interaction from the employees.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 02:24 PM
The benefit of buying from the Apple Store is that you don't have to deal with the employees at Best Buy.

seared.ahi
Aug 7, 2012, 02:27 PM
The benefit of buying from the Apple Store is that you don't have to deal with the employees at Best Buy.

Sounds like a deal to me!

nerdpov
Aug 7, 2012, 02:35 PM
Purchased mine from the Apple store, it was a very pleasant experience.

stchman
Aug 7, 2012, 02:35 PM

The Best Buy i bought my MBA from the employee I dealt with was a nice person. He even went over to his manager and got me an additional $40 off the price.