PDA

View Full Version : CPU Upgrade on Late 2010 MBA Possible??

SRLMJ23
Aug 7, 2012, 01:10 PM
I know it's really hard to open a MBA, but is it possible to upgrade the CPU if one were to venture into this? I currently have a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.4ghz, I'd really like to upgrade it to a faster Core 2 Duo (I obviously know it has to be same socket and what not.)

I would even pay someone who knows how to do this, if they can guarantee me they can do it without any damage to the shell of the MBA and ensure the MBA will work.

Let me know guys, thank you in advance!!!

Intell
Aug 7, 2012, 01:12 PM
It cannot be done. The CPU is soldered on the logicboard. To upgrade it you'd need professional skills and an expensive soldering station.

Beanoir
Aug 7, 2012, 03:45 PM
It cannot be done. The CPU is soldered on the logicboard. To upgrade it you'd need professional skills and an expensive soldering station.

I love a blatant contradiction! ;)

Intell
Aug 7, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yep. It cannot be done by the OP. But a professional, it can. I know of one person that has upgraded the CPU in their Macbook and it was done using a very expensive soldering rig.

TheRealDamager
Aug 7, 2012, 03:52 PM
Keep in mind that even if you have such capabilities, an ungraded processor would also have to be supported by the firmware, which is highly unlikely.

Beanoir
Aug 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
Keep in mind that even if you have such capabilities, an ungraded processor would also have to be supported by the firmware, which is highly unlikely.

I don't agree with that, I reckon given the natural choice would be a 1.6 C2D upgrade then it probably would work.

But it's the same as the argument for upgrading RAM, it is possible with the right kit, and people have done it, and i'm sure those same people are the ones who'll also upgrade their CPU too. But if you don't have the right kit and relevant experience or access to somebody who has then don't bother trying unless you're prepared to feck it up.