Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ndynslvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I've always liked the Mac OS, however I liked the Thinkpad as a laptop better due to their ruggedness and their matte screen. This time, after seeing the pricing comparisons between the two (an upgraded Thinkpad X230 and an upgraded Air) and viewing the Macbook Air in person between the two I'm considering buying the 13 inch since apparently I am getting more *BANG* for my buck. 256 gb Mac Air with the 2.0 ghz cpu and 8 gig ram upgrades.

My T400 lasted me a good, tough four years but unfortunately the HDD is dying and I'd love to upgrade to SSD and the new tech.

I have a few concerns though...

I'd be paying a couple hundred more for the 256 gig ssd and 8 gig ram and 2.0 cpu so that I won't have to buy a new computer for a while... Will the McAir itself last for a few years? It looks rather flimsy, something that would be used at a karate demonstration when some punk breaks the thing in half with a chop.

One reason I was a thinkpad loyalist was due to their ruggedness and the fact that their hinges don't fall apart after some time, unlike every other laptop on the market.

I'm always picking my laptop up, taking it with me on a bumpy bike ride, I'm a pretty mobile person, which unfortunately led to the downfall of the HDD unit of my T400.

(I do take care of my laptop though, I don't drop it or spill or anythin like that)

In addition, one of my biggest pet peeves is using laptops with finger prints on them. A few ultrabooks on the market have this problem where the oil on the keyboard transfers to the screen and this kind of problem would piss me off the deep end. Do apple computers come with a chamois cloth/screen elevators to prevent that or will I have to get that sort of thing myself?

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
My friend still has his original Air that he got on release. The newer Airs seem to be better built as well so they should last awhile.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
4 years? Yes, I should think so, though, depending on usage, you might need to replace the battery towards the end of that period. Also if you only go for 4Gb RAM you might regret it in 4 years.

----------

Howbout the keyboard oil transfer, are there any solutions for that?

Use a Moshi Clearguard?

Ndynslvr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
4 years? Yes, I should think so, though, depending on usage, you might need to replace the battery towards the end of that period. Also if you only go for 4Gb RAM you might regret it in 4 years.

----------

Use a Moshi Clearguard?

Well I did say I was getting 8 gigs...

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
To prevent transfer to the screen, we recently picked up the RadTech keyboard covers (like a big lens cloth) that still allow the MBA to close. I had an iKlear transparent key cover on my white macbook, and I found that it just tended to trap debris underneath and never seemed to come clean.

But, fingerprint transfer is definitely an issue on my machine and I've long since lost the sheet that comes with a new machine. So I'm trying this product.

Omurices

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I do use the keyboard cover on all my devices due to following reasons

1) keyboard keys turn shiny after a while due to the oil
2) I sometimes would like to clean my keys and simply washing the keyboard cover is easier for any dust, food residuals, any unwanted particles.
3) it does not prevents the water/liquid to spill, but easier to clean and blocks water from flowing between the keys.

However I still see the keyboard cover marks on the screen after a while.

It is not avoidable, but we just have to deal with using our devices with clean hands and clean the device after the use. :D

Just like any devices, if nothing changes on your usage now and you're satisfied on its performance today, it should last years unless your usage changes.

Otherwise accidental bangs and bongs may shorten the life of the device, just like any other ones IMO.

Bonilla

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
México.
Of course it will last 4 years, i bought mine august 2011 ultimate air.
And it is a precious, around christmas something failed to my air but i got fixed ( i opened a treat about it) yesterday i bought an apple care plan protection so 2 years more for sure.

Air is a tiny beauty,

P.S. Buy apple care right away when u buy the Air, i spent a little more because i could buy it when i got it the first time. keeps some extra bucks.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It could last a week, it could last a decade. Hardware is not infallible. Generally, if you take good care of it, you should get some good years out of it. Warranties do exist for a reason, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.