Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion on a 2010 Mac Book Pro. All seem to have went well. But I tried to upgrade Firefox and now no version of Firefox will slide to the applications folder to install. It asks to keep both, replace or stop but nothing works. It asks for my ID and PW and it say I don't have permission. Any ideas?

Mumford

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2006
Altadena, CA
First try repairing permissions.

If that doesn't work, enable showing hidden files, then look in /Applications and delete anything with the word "Firefox" in the name. Empty your trash, then try reinstalling Firefox.

Don't forget to disable showing hidden files (procedure is in the same link above).

EDWW

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
I had the same problem with Firefox. I ended trashing the Firefox app and reinstalled it with no problems.

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
First try repairing permissions.

If that doesn't work, enable showing hidden files, then look in /Applications and delete anything with the word "Firefox" in the name. Empty your trash, then try reinstalling Firefox.

Don't forget to disable showing hidden files (procedure is in the same link above).

Thanks all.

I sill can't slide the new Firefox to the app folder, but when I doubled clicked on the firefox icon it opened up the old Firefox. Well at least it kept the Netflix pw my daughter was using and she's happy.

Last edited:

blacksurfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
To repair your permissions
Go to Disk Utility > In the left side bar click on "Macintosh HD" or whatever you've renamed it > First Aid tab > Click on "Repair Disk Permissions" at the bottom of the box

I repaired the permissions but i still couldn't install Firefox. But the old version is working for now. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.