PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Click - Finger Tap?

Ragnar-Kon
Aug 8, 2012, 01:38 AM
You folks with newer Macs probably don't have this issue, but anyway...

Just upgraded by Early 2008 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion... and the secondary click two-finger tap function has disappeared. Instead, I have to place two fingers on the trackpad, and then click the button to right-click.

Has anyone been able to get the traditional two-finger tap functionality back instead of the two-finger click? I can see myself liking the click if the entire trackpad was a button... but such is not the case in the older Macs.

thasan
Aug 8, 2012, 02:54 AM
You folks with newer Macs probably don't have this issue, but anyway...

Just upgraded by Early 2008 Macbook Pro to Mountain Lion... and the secondary click two-finger tap function has disappeared. Instead, I have to place two fingers on the trackpad, and then click the button to right-click.

Has anyone been able to get the traditional two-finger tap functionality back instead of the two-finger click? I can see myself liking the click if the entire trackpad was a button... but such is not the case in the older Macs.

download better touch tool.
and then u can assign whatever u want it to.
i personally use three finger tap for middle click and two finger tap for right click (and so on)
trust me..your touchpad will become magical after u get used to the gestures you assign using BTT ;)

Ragnar-Kon
Aug 8, 2012, 09:47 PM
download better touch tool.
and then u can assign whatever u want it to.
i personally use three finger tap for middle click and two finger tap for right click (and so on)
trust me..your touchpad will become magical after u get used to the gestures you assign using BTT ;)

I've used BTT in the past... but after looking at the latest version today (0.785)... two-finger tap isn't an available gesture. Where do you find it?

thasan
Aug 9, 2012, 03:19 AM
I've used BTT in the past... but after looking at the latest version today (0.785)... two-finger tap isn't an available gesture. Where do you find it?
shows how novice i am!!
its in system prefs/tracpad option/ secondary click: 'click or tap with two fingers'
:D
sorry for the confusion.

Ragnar-Kon
Aug 9, 2012, 07:54 AM
shows how novice i am!!
its in system prefs/tracpad option/ secondary click: 'click or tap with two fingers'
:D
sorry for the confusion.

Doesn't exist for me. The only option is "Click with two fingers." Hence the problem I've been having.

I know on newer Macbook Pros, there is usually a drop-down menu that allows you to refine exactly how you want the gesture to work. But for myself and my seemingly ancient Macbook Pro, I can't start refining gestures until I get to the 3-finger & 4-finger stuff. 1-finger and 2-finger is essentially locked. I've had the "Tap with two fingers" option since Leopard, so I know it is possible, but its seems Apple decided to leave it out in Mountain Lion.

That said, my gut says there is a way to re-activate it using a terminal command to change one of the values in the settings file. Just don't know what that value is.....

colloc
Aug 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
Doesn't exist for me. The only option is "Click with two fingers." Hence the problem I've been having.

I know on newer Macbook Pros, there is usually a drop-down menu that allows you to refine exactly how you want the gesture to work. But for myself and my seemingly ancient Macbook Pro, I can't start refining gestures until I get to the 3-finger & 4-finger stuff. 1-finger and 2-finger is essentially locked. I've had the "Tap with two fingers" option since Leopard, so I know it is possible, but its seems Apple decided to leave it out in Mountain Lion.

That said, my gut says there is a way to re-activate it using a terminal command to change one of the values in the settings file. Just don't know what that value is.....

http://i.imgur.com/e9wzn.png

Ragnar-Kon
Aug 9, 2012, 08:11 PM
Image (http://i.imgur.com/e9wzn.png)

http://ragnarkon.net/files/public/SecondarySS.png

I rest my case.

Icy1007
Aug 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
Image (http://ragnarkon.net/files/public/SecondarySS.png)

I rest my case.

It's because you don't have "Tap to Click" enabled. Enable that and tap for 2 fingers will become available.

Ragnar-Kon
Aug 9, 2012, 09:25 PM
It's because you don't have "Tap to Click" enabled. Enable that and tap for 2 fingers will become available.

Hot diggidy damn, thank you so much. You just saved me a month or so of having to re-train my fingers and brain.

Would rather not have the "Tap with one finger" on, but if that's what it takes to get the two-finger tap back I'll take it.

thasan
Aug 10, 2012, 02:28 AM
Hot diggidy damn, thank you so much. You just saved me a month or so of having to re-train my fingers and brain.

Would rather not have the "Tap with one finger" on, but if that's what it takes to get the two-finger tap back I'll take it.

glad icy could solve it for you. enjoy!:D