Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Been thinking about this for a while, but still unsure on how I feel about it/whether it's worth getting Apple TV.

I have a PS3 and currently use that to stream stuff from LoveFilm and Netflix, and that works fine, although it's rather bulky (I have a PS3 from 2007). Since that usually stay's in my bedroom, I've considered an ATV for downstairs, but am not entirely sure if I should go for it. As I said I use Netflix and LoveFilm, but also dabble with BBC iPlayer, which I know ATV doesn't support, but I realise I could probably mirror it through from my MacBook/iPad, and the whole AirPlay thing really appeals to me... but don't know whether I should spend £99 just for the use of AirPlay. I looked into the Roku box, also.

What do you reckon? Pro's and con's for buying an ATV?

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Been thinking about this for a while, but still unsure on how I feel about it/whether it's worth getting Apple TV.

I have a PS3 and currently use that to stream stuff from LoveFilm and Netflix, and that works fine, although it's rather bulky (I have a PS3 from 2007). Since that usually stay's in my bedroom, I've considered an ATV for downstairs, but am not entirely sure if I should go for it. As I said I use Netflix and LoveFilm, but also dabble with BBC iPlayer, which I know ATV doesn't support, but I realise I could probably mirror it through from my MacBook/iPad, and the whole AirPlay thing really appeals to me... but don't know whether I should spend £99 just for the use of AirPlay. I looked into the Roku box, also.

This discussion might interest you:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1417566/

JoeBlow74

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012

If you already own a Mac/Ipad, then yes. Here is why:
I am so very annoyed over the weekly PS3 updates. Every effing week, there is a new update and I cannot use my PS3 until I update.
When you log into your Netflix accout, you actually log into the Playstation Network before logging into Netflix.
The PS3 uses waaaay to much power sitting at idle. It can use up to 100+ watts from the wall just sitting there. The APPLE TV uses 6 watts.
The PS3 is loud and cannot be put inside a cabinet or it will overheat. Apple TV has no heat and is quiet.
I can actually do more with my Apple TV than my PS3. I can stream music, home movies from the HD cam, my private DVD movie library, all over the network. (as long as you keep within the Apple ecosystem)
Also, the whole Airplay system works excellent. I can use the wifes Ipad to stream Youtube and all those other net based video sites. If there is an app for the Ipad, you can use Airplay to stream to the Apple TV.

So, see, there is so much that can be done with the Apple TV. (As long as you stay within the Apple ecosystem)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I am a proud owner of 4 ATV2, and I'll say that unless you're willing to pay for a jailbroken ATV2, I wouldn't recommend buying ATV3 until jailbreak is available.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Back when the ATV2 came out, I used my PS3 for all of my media streaming needs: DLNA via Serviio and Netflix. Now the PS3 has Hulu Plus, Amazon Video and Crunchyroll apps. My current TV also has a lot of built-in streaming capabilities.

I picked up an ATV3 last night to see what it has to offer. Other than AirPlay, I gain almost no benefit from having it. It's a nice plus, but it's not worth $99 to me especially because I already have the dock connector to HDMI adapter and two other Netflix compatible devices.

An ATV2 would probably be more useful to me though.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Back when the ATV2 came out, I used my PS3 for all of my media streaming needs: DLNA via Serviio and Netflix. Now the PS3 has Hulu Plus, Amazon Video and Crunchyroll apps. My current TV also has a lot of built-in streaming capabilities.

I picked up an ATV3 last night to see what it has to offer. Other than AirPlay, I gain almost no benefit from having it. It's a nice plus, but it's not worth $99 to me especially because I already have the dock connector to HDMI adapter and two other Netflix compatible devices.

An ATV2 would probably be more useful to me though.

That's interesting as I was thinking about buying the AppleTV.

I currently have a TV with built-in Hulu Plus but the navigation is awful. I was thinking of getting the Apple TV and by using the remote app on the iPhone, should be a good experience.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The AirPlay alone (since you are on a newer Mac with ML) is worth it to me. I do enjoy all the other content, though. I think it's great.

Jumpman6

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
Durham, NC
I'm starting to think I should finally give in a get an Apple TV as well.

I have 250 movies from iTunes that I either bought from iTunes or were Blu Ray digital copies. All is stored on my external hard drive. I do all my renting through iTunes, with iTunes gift cards.

I have an iPad 2 with the AV adapter. In theory, yeah, I could just continue to download the rentals or purchases to my iPad and hook the iPad to my television through the AV adapter and be done with it.

But, frankly, that's a lot of work and downloading when I could just easily get an Apple TV and stream everything with no hitch.

I mean, am I crazy or just lazy about this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.