Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AllThingsD reports that the ongoing patent and design dispute between Apple and Samsung has yielded yet another interesting piece of evidence, this time in the form of a massive internal Samsung document from 2010 showing 126 different aspects of the company's Galaxy S smartphone that were considered to need improvement. Each shortcoming is displayed with a comparison to how the issue is handled on the iPhone and includes a recommendation that in most cases outlines how Samsung should make the behavior of the Galaxy S more like that of the iPhone.
Authored by Samsung's product engineering team, the document evaluates everything from the home screen to the browser to the built-in apps on both devices. In each case, it comes up with a recommendation on what Samsung should do going forward and in most cases its answer is simple: Make it work more like the iPhone.

In short, the evaluation report makes the case that the Galaxy (identified here as the "S1´´) would be better if it behaved more like the iPhone and featured a similar user interface.
iphone_galaxy_s_end_call_button.jpg

As the report notes, the document itself is not proof of Samsung's infringement of Apple's utility or design patents or its trade dress, but Apple is clearly using it to build its case that Samsung was looking to the iPhone as a superior device and in many cases seeking to copy the iPhone's solutions to user interface and other issues.

Article Link: Samsung's Massive Document Outlining How to Improve Galaxy S by Adopting iPhone Solutions Surfaces

Attachments

• samsung-evidence2.jpg
    samsung-evidence2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited by a moderator:

ultravioletfly

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Wow. This is the motherlode of damning evidence. Poor Samsung. Nah, who am I kidding, I don't feel sorry for thieves.

MkNuII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Portugal
I wonder how long is this case going to last? Is it something that we will be seen solved and case closed by the end of this month? I don't know how fast are the courts in the USA.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
As the report notes, the document itself is not proof of Samsung's infringement of Apple's utility or design patents or its trade dress

Anyone who's read the document can clearly see that. Most "solutions" are not to "copy the iPhone", simply to make improvements. This document in a sense is proof that Samsung did not copy the iPhone, but made usability improvements based on the fact that their initial designs had flaws the competition didn't have.

IE, the consumer got a better product thanks to Samsung revising their usability in light of what was on the market. Something Apple also does and that every company does.

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Half way though so far. Quite the read.

I noticed one page detailing the dot indicators to show what homescreen page you are on was originally less iPhone like before the device shipped. I know many people said in the past this wasn't copied from the iphone because the samsung one was on top not bottom but when you see that page...

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
While it's certainly not legally damning, it is morally damaging.

It blows my mind how some people still blindly support Samsung in this trial -- while the patent infringement and the legal question at hand is undetermined, the design ethos was undoubtedly breached. A few things to consider:

-This document, outlining flaws
-The internal memo about a crisis of design
-The similarities between icons (someone has a pic)
-The similarities between dock connectors, chargers, and all accessories
-The similarities of the phone design and GUI layout

In some cases the Samsung devices look exactly like the iPhone in many, many aspects.

With that said, design ethos is not legally damning, and what's at stake here is patent infringement. If anything, prior art will make or break this case. Apple has already showed that Samsung had the intent to copy near everything.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Samsung, how about pouring more money on R&D and coming up with better ways than just simply copying?

MkNuII

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2011
Portugal
That's pretty damning; at the very least I can't imagine it sitting well with the jury.

Lawyers are usually quite resourcefully, so they'll probably just come up with something that makes sense, either it's the truth or not.

Because... probably Samsung "Can't handle the truth" :p

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
I earnestly hope Samsung burns to the ground. Deceitful talentless little turds.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
And yet Apple has stolen a ton from Android. Come off the high horse.

Most, if not all of Andriod's features are not protected? Apple filed for protections of their IP. If it is open and not protected it's free game, this is not the case with Apple's IP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.