PDA

View Full Version : Potential Home Set Up With MB Air

jcbonifacio1
Aug 8, 2012, 09:07 AM
Just wondering if the pros here can weigh in on what they think of my future set up (diagram attached (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6922088/Home%20Network.png)). I ordered two Macbook Airs, so I was thinking of a way to still make use of my 2011 Mac Mini Server to store data and Time Machine Backups for the two laptops.

What do you think? I'm no networking expert, so I will happily defer to those smarter than me :)

Thank you!

Omurices
Aug 8, 2012, 11:23 AM
Just wondering if the pros here can weigh in on what they think of my future set up (diagram attached (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6922088/Home%20Network.png)). I ordered two Macbook Airs, so I was thinking of a way to still make use of my 2011 Mac Mini Server to store data and Time Machine Backups for the two laptops.

What do you think? I'm no networking expert, so I will happily defer to those smarter than me :)

Thank you!

I think it looks good in outside surface that probably can not go wrong in my opinion. I had similar configuration at my home office before, but with Mac Pro server. The querky part may be how well the time machine work in actual environment and how much of data you will be backing up vs the available disk space.

But do you really need the Thunderbolt display for the server? I think you can go headless (no Monitor) with Mac Mini server. But then I just read that you also want to connect it via MBA too, which I'm thinking it's personal preference.

Hope it goes well! :D

rkdiddy
Aug 8, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just a few thoughts...

First, rather than having so many redundant drives - why don't you use the server for TC backups (or purchase a TM) and then use an offsite backup service (I used CrashPlan). If something goes wrong, I have my TC and if something was to happen to my home (theft/fire) I have the offsite backup.

Second, I use my Mini in a similar fashion, but I have it attached to a TV. That way I do not tie up my ACD and should I need to access I can use screen share (90% of the time) or simply turn on the TV.

I hope that helps, cheers,

Rick

jcbonifacio1
Aug 8, 2012, 03:17 PM
But do you really need the Thunderbolt display for the server? I think you can go headless (no Monitor) with Mac Mini server. But then I just read that you also want to connect it via MBA too, which I'm thinking it's personal preference.

Thanks very much. You're right: I will probably run the Mini headless most of the time. We're planning to watch movies from it. I'm planning to store the movies files and iTunes videos on the Mini Server.

----------

Just a few thoughts...

First, rather than having so many redundant drives - why don't you use the server for TC backups (or purchase a TM) and then use an offsite backup service (I used CrashPlan). If something goes wrong, I have my TC and if something was to happen to my home (theft/fire) I have the offsite backup.

Second, I use my Mini in a similar fashion, but I have it attached to a TV. That way I do not tie up my ACD and should I need to access I can use screen share (90% of the time) or simply turn on the TV.

I hope that helps, cheers,

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll have a look at Crash Plan. Seems that many members of this forum use it. I was checking out Dolly Drive (https://get.dollydrive.com/purchase), too. It's definitely a premium service for features I may or may not use.

I presume that Crash Plan is very trustworthy, given that many esteemed members of this forum use it.

I've got a lot of redundant drives because I've lost data before. This was before I smartened up and purchased a few cheap hard drives.

To your other point: I currently do not have a TV, so I connect the Mini (with all its movies) and connect it to the Thunderbolt Monitor. I will probably have the same set up as you, once I finally get a TV. The wallet dictates that I shouldn't have too many toys :)